Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New laws for football fans

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey, this isn't going to get abused much!!!!

I can think of many cases on this website that would result in a banning order if people make a complaint (which they will).

This trend towards removing all forms of offence from society is rather worrying, where does it end? We're sleepwalking into being controlled emotionally by the police, courts and government.
indeed. I'm convinced it's what both labour and the tories want. Yet very few seem to care.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Blimey, this isn't going to get abused much!!!!

I can think of many cases on this website that would result in a banning order if people make a complaint (which they will).

This trend towards removing all forms of offence from society is rather worrying, where does it end? We're sleepwalking into being controlled emotionally by the police, courts and government.

Absolutely spot on!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
One of Gus' first games was away at SCC and after 89 mins of abuse we snatched a win right at the end. Our response? Thousands of us chanted 'we just beeped you up the arse, we just beeped you up the arse'.

I wonder if some of our number are do as I say not do as I do.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I heard Ms Costa on R5 this am and whilst she didn't claim to represent all BHAFC fans she certainly didn't point out that her organisation has a membership of less than 500, when we have 24K season ticket holders alone.

Her comment that "banter is bullying" is nothing short of ridiculous and whilst R5 played the "does your boyfriend know you're here" and "we can see you holding hands" Liz failed to point out our retorts to those chants. There are more than enough people and organisations, even within our club trying to "sanatise" football without Ms Costa jumping on the bandwagon.

A few months ago I read a blog by one of our esteemed members. I hope he will not object if I re-produce a couple of comments from that blog:

"The one set of supporters who experience this taunting most are those of Brighton & Hove Albion, and to their great credit, the overwhelming majority take it in their stride. Their attitude of ‘whatever’ does more to support the cause against homophobes than is fathomable."

"If anything it is the Brighton & Hove Albion fans who have stolen the march with their sticks and stones attitude, because they have demonstrated that they care little for such assertions-as if to say ‘so what if I was gay anyway?’ "

http://thepepperpotpost.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/yes-my-boyfriend-knows-im-here/

Thank you Baron. The voice of commonsense and reason.

Wise up Ms Costa. Just because you may have a stick it doesn't mean you have to stir every pot.

On LC:

I entirely agree that LC does not speak for all fans, and I would also say that I’m not sure about the validity of this type of campaigning coming from the supporters club itself as it’s clear that not all of the members are in agreement on any of these issues.

However, if they’re looking for a spokesperson for the ‘policing’ motion then it’s obvious why they would look to LC for quotes and interviews; and it’s clear why she would jump at the chance to put her views across. I also reckon that her position affords her at least some level of legitimacy in the debate – though think that there has to be clear line between what she personally believes as a fan and the views of the members that she represents (of whom I’m not one).

Hence I’d like to see a clear separation or personal/’professional’ when she’s on this subject.

On our retorts:

I agree that responding to ‘holding hands’ and ‘does your boyfriend’ in the way we do shows that we’re above it, that it’s childish and I honestly believe that when opposing fans chant these they genuinely mean them in ‘good humour’, and not in an anti-gay way.

I don’t feel the same about ‘town full of ******s’ – the tone of which I think is demonstrably different. I’m not sure entirely what I’m trying to say here; I suppose that there are different levels of ‘abuse’ and we all draw our own lines as to what we deem acceptable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we sing "one-nil to the nancy boys", does it mean we should then turn ourselves in?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If we sing 'You're to ugly to be gay', does that make us hetrophobic?

And have we committed an offence? Being football fans we probably have...............

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good luck trying to ban 15,000 fans. :rotlf:

To be fair when you came down for the second leg, you got behind your team, I hardly recall hearing any "so called homophobic" chants from the Palace fans. Perhaps that's the lesson to learn here, support your team, get behind them (behave) and if at some point some banter comes into play, go on then, do it for a bit, but don't forget why you are there.

Jan 30, 2008
sorry, i am on a tablet and struggle to copy/paste a link etc..

New laws will be introduced to curb offensive/homophobic chanting. A spokesperson on the beeb just quoted the the 'brighton supporters trust' (?) figures that albion fans were subject to abuse at 70 % of away games last season.

Fans who abuse rival supporters via social media will also be liable to legal action under new proposals.

Well done costa.......

#fooballbeingruined
she had her say , something about throwing bananas on the pitch years ago now homophobic chanting , this woman does no one any favours AND APPEARS TO BE THE MOUTH PIECE FOR THE MINORITY:facepalm:
regards
DR

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To be fair when you came down for the second leg, you got behind your team, I hardly recall hearing any "so called homophobic" chants from the Palace fans. Perhaps that's the lesson to learn here, support your team, get behind them (behave) and if at some point some banter comes into play, go on then, do it for a bit, but don't forget why you are there.

The Palace fans were outstanding that evening. It is a shame our manager, team and fans decided to take the evening off.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why are people getting upset at homophobic abuse being banned ? I don't get it. This is about 30 years overdue.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I tried to start a chant of "does your boyfriend know you're here" directed at the the away fans at the Amex.

I got a few strange stares and silence around me. Obviously they didn't get it. :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I agree with posts on this thread. Whilst I 100% agree with the concept of stopping racism/homophobia etc I have grave concerns about specific new football laws being in the hands of police officers; especially after the recent events where terrorist laws seem to be used to intimidate journalists.

I'm beginning to worry - we agree AGAIN !

The problem I have with it is that a 3 year banning order is likely to be asked for on all offences.
If you go out on a Saturday night, have a few sherberts, get a bit too lippy with a stranger, maybe thinking it's funny to take the piss out of someone who is different and get arrested for disorderly behaviour, you're likely to end up with a fine or a conditional discharge (personally I like CDs, they hang over someone and serve to remind them that if they misbehave again they will get a harsher punishment).
Transpose the behaviour from 1am in West Street to 5pm at Falmer and suddenly the punishment includes a 3 year banning order. It's hugely disproportionate. In my opinion FBOs should only be granted for serious (ie violent) or repeat offenders; people who have been a bit twattish and gone over the top should be treated the same as they would be in any other environment.

And also THIS.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One of Gus' first games was away at SCC and after 89 mins of abuse we snatched a win right at the end. Our response? Thousands of us chanted 'we just beeped you up the arse, we just beeped you up the arse'.

I wonder if some of our number are do as I say not do as I do.
I doubt it was thousands because watching the game on tv that was clearly not heard.

Too many people are missing the point in this matter. A bit of light hearted banter, although not PC, doesn't offend and in our case we tend to make the 'We can see you holding hands' idiots look to be just that-idiots. This is where football fans need to grow up-The Sun has a lot to answer to in the way it has successfully dumbed down millions. For me, there is a line that gets crossed, mainly by Northern fans, where downright nasty aggressiveness is totally unacceptable. If their abuse was identical in nature but aimed at races rather than 'gay people' all hell would break loose.

The irony in all of this is that there are so many gay people in the Brighton area who are not local.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
couldnt help but notice this on the BBC video

coach2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here