Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New laws for football fans

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Load of nanny state poppycock in my view and why certain people perceive they represent all BHAFC is totally beyond me and more importantly very wrong in my view

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
There was the farce of the Huddersfield v Hull bubble last season, where when Yorkshire's finest were asked to justify their restrictions they were left scrabbling around for YouTube clips of trouble between the two sets of fans......only to find there wasn't any.

Well they didn't look very hard!

This has been about for yonks!

[yt]RNn6ksZZ-yQ[/yt]

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The problem I have with it is that a 3 year banning order is likely to be asked for on all offences.
If you go out on a Saturday night, have a few sherberts, get a bit too lippy with a stranger, maybe thinking it's funny to take the piss out of someone who is different and get arrested for disorderly behaviour, you're likely to end up with a fine or a conditional discharge (personally I like CDs, they hang over someone and serve to remind them that if they misbehave again they will get a harsher punishment).
Transpose the behaviour from 1am in West Street to 5pm at Falmer and suddenly the punishment includes a 3 year banning order. It's hugely disproportionate. In my opinion FBOs should only be granted for serious (ie violent) or repeat offenders; people who have been a bit twattish and gone over the top should be treated the same as they would be in any other environment.

There are many good points on this thread regarding the heavy handedness of this development, and to a large degree I agree. However, I would ask the question, to any parents taking their kids to the Amex, or elderley fans, family groups, walking past groups of away fans outside their stand, or in the queue for trains, when they start the disgusting verbal abuse towards Brighton fans, even, as has been reported on here, directly at parents with kids, what do you do with them? What gives them the right to bahave like that in that environment, one with kids, elderley, families, normal people. Behaviour in West Street at 1am is only going to affect a certain demographic, but behaving like that at 5pm after a match affects a much wider range of people.

Hopefully now is the time for people to take responsibility for their actions, and this message might reduce or even eradicate instances of foul behaviour without the Police or anyone having to be heavy handed. If it doesn't stop them, then they know what to expect.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Load of nanny state poppycock in my view and why certain people perceive they represent all BHAFC is totally beyond me and more importantly very wrong in my view

Nobody claimed to represent the fans in fact Liz stated that she didn't. Ok?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Really? How do you know what fixture I am talking about and what actually happened during the match to cause all the bed wetters to start moaning like little bitches to the stewards.

If it was Leeds away, you're certainly not the only person to have made comments along those lines.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Great. Let's start lining up some writs against the Palace trolls :lolol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Blimey, this isn't going to get abused much!!!!

I can think of many cases on this website that would result in a banning order if people make a complaint (which they will).

This trend towards removing all forms of offence from society is rather worrying, where does it end? We're sleepwalking into being controlled emotionally by the police, courts and government.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
There are many good points on this thread regarding the heavy handedness of this development, and to a large degree I agree. However, I would ask the question, to any parents taking their kids to the Amex, or elderley fans, family groups, walking past groups of away fans outside their stand, or in the queue for trains, when they start the disgusting verbal abuse towards Brighton fans, even, as has been reported on here, directly at parents with kids, what do you do with them? What gives them the right to bahave like that in that environment, one with kids, elderley, families, normal people. Behaviour in West Street at 1am is only going to affect a certain demographic, but behaving like that at 5pm after a match affects a much wider range of people.

Hopefully now is the time for people to take responsibility for their actions, and this message might reduce or even eradicate instances of foul behaviour without the Police or anyone having to be heavy handed. If it doesn't stop them, then they know what to expect.

This, saving me a long reply. Folk who abuse others, whether online or otherwise, should be accountable. Liz Costa is a good example on here, some of the abuse she has received is hurtful and wrong. Those on the receiving end don't need to man up, the people who abuse them need to grow up.

THAT said, I am concerned about the abuse of power by law enforcement groups. The Home Office seems to be getting more bullish about the things that these groups do and turning it back on the population. We need to watch closely how society is being 'managed' more than ever.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This trend towards removing all forms of offence from society is rather worrying, where does it end? We're sleepwalking into being controlled emotionally by the police, courts and government.

This is more the reason.
Last month the new laws on demos..............drip drip drip.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This, saving me a long reply. Folk who abuse others, whether online or otherwise, should be accountable. Liz Costa is a good example on here, some of the abuse she has received is hurtful and wrong. Those on the receiving end don't need to man up, the people who abuse them need to grow up.

THAT said, I am concerned about the abuse of power by law enforcement groups. The Home Office seems to be getting more bullish about the things that these groups do and turning it back on the population. We need to watch closely how society is being 'managed' more than ever.

Yep. I agree.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
She made her point perfectly well on R4. That its only by tackling it head on that the level of racial abuse has fallen, and that an equivalent focus needs to be placed on homophobic abuse.

It seems that people's objections to this on here are based on a) the new rules being abused by OB, B) they like homo abuse and see it as BANTS, or c) they have issues with Liz herself.

I personally have time for a) but don't think its a reason for inaction. B) and c) are bollocks imo.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Is she still claiming 1 in 3 of us are gay? :facepalm:

If she ever has done in the past she certainly didn't this a.m. She did say that certain papers had - a long time in the past -- claimed that 25% of Brighton's population were gay and she wondered whether that might have been something which started the chants from rival supporters. But at no point did she make any comment on the sexual orientation of BHAFC supporters.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
If she ever has done in the past she certainly didn't this a.m. She did say that certain papers had - a long time in the past -- claimed that 25% of Brighton's population were gay and she wondered whether that might have been something which started the chants from rival supporters. But at no point did she make any comment on the sexual orientation of BHAFC supporters.

In the 2001 census only 1.9% of households in Brighton was a same sex relationship. This is higher than the national average, but I would suggest that no more than 10% of our population in the town is actually gay. Overall studies have the % of exclusively gay people in the U.K varying between 1.5%-5%, depending on who you read. I would suggest it is closer to the first figure.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I heard Ms Costa on R5 this am and whilst she didn't claim to represent all BHAFC fans she certainly didn't point out that her organisation has a membership of less than 500, when we have 24K season ticket holders alone.

Her comment that "banter is bullying" is nothing short of ridiculous and whilst R5 played the "does your boyfriend know you're here" and "we can see you holding hands" Liz failed to point out our retorts to those chants. There are more than enough people and organisations, even within our club trying to "sanatise" football without Ms Costa jumping on the bandwagon.

A few months ago I read a blog by one of our esteemed members. I hope he will not object if I re-produce a couple of comments from that blog:

"The one set of supporters who experience this taunting most are those of Brighton & Hove Albion, and to their great credit, the overwhelming majority take it in their stride. Their attitude of ‘whatever’ does more to support the cause against homophobes than is fathomable."

"If anything it is the Brighton & Hove Albion fans who have stolen the march with their sticks and stones attitude, because they have demonstrated that they care little for such assertions-as if to say ‘so what if I was gay anyway?’ "

http://thepepperpotpost.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/yes-my-boyfriend-knows-im-here/

Thank you Baron. The voice of commonsense and reason.

Wise up Ms Costa. Just because you may have a stick it doesn't mean you have to stir every pot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here