Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New kit deal: it is NIKE

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So, the away kit deffo a template, the home kit, well, his wording was very carefully angled to make it sound like it will be bespoke, but not as bespoke as United or Barcelona. Predictably, no questions asked of him regarding the choice of the least ethically responsible sportswear manufacturer, but I guess that's how they are able to offer to pay the most.

As for the cost of production of the shirts, well, you can buy plain template Nike shirts for under a tenner from teamwear retailers, or the latest template shirts for £20 from Nike direct, and that's the single unit retail price. Add a Brighton Lextra badge and an iron on Amex logo and it goes up to £50, OK, right you are.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
In his interview, Paul Barber said there is a definite nod to history in the design. If this is isn't a nod to history, I don't know what else is.

That is a photoshop job of the current Corinthians away kit which is black and white, which is bespoke for them (I think) meaning we could possibly pick up something like that. If the above suggestions are true that we are going to tweak a template, I hope it's a white collar :bhasign:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That is a photoshop job of the current Corinthians away kit which is black and white, which is bespoke for them (I think) meaning we could possibly pick up something like that. If the above suggestions are true that we are going to tweak a template, I hope it's a white collar :bhasign:

USA had this one in 2006/7

football_shirt_6646_1_375x500x1.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes.
Yes.
Really? Any better deal will be at a cost (doesn't matter which company we use) - mainly to supporters who will be expected to renew their shirts each season. The clincher is just how much each company will pay us up front. Nike obviously have the money to put most on the table, but I don't think fans will be impressed by the retail price of their shirts.

So where do we think the money should come from? Errea may pay a whole heap less but we end up with a cheap shirt, helps the supporter in the short twerm, doesn't help the club. Nike pay a load more up front, we pay an extra £5-7 for the shirts and the club can invest the money in building the club. Let's remember there's not a greedy chairman taking everything he can out of the club and there is a long term plan to build this club into something special. That's not going to happen on thin air, we could stay as was but I'd rather invest in the future.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Fascinating to hear Paul Barber talking about the other elements to the deal, such as the business model for the away kit, and also the footwear agreement for the academy players. Perhaps that's a standard agreement with other clubs, I have no idea- but it just seems like such a great concept, and avoids marginalising kids from lower income backgrounds

Academy players, used to have footwear supplied by Adidas, not sure if the club paid for these upfront and provided them to the academy players apposed to the Adidas providing these for free.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
As nike only have 2 Goalkeeper templates available for next season, we have a 50% chance that our Goalie shirt will look like this:

EnglandGK2014.jpg

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So where do we think the money should come from? Errea may pay a whole heap less but we end up with a cheap shirt, helps the supporter in the short twerm, doesn't help the club. Nike pay a load more up front, we pay an extra £5-7 for the shirts and the club can invest the money in building the club. Let's remember there's not a greedy chairman taking everything he can out of the club and there is a long term plan to build this club into something special. That's not going to happen on thin air, we could stay as was but I'd rather invest in the future.

The same club that still hasn't come out and supported the principle of fans owning a tiny part of the club they are expected to 'invest' in. ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The same club that still hasn't come out and supported the principle of fans owning a tiny part of the club they are expected to 'invest' in. ???
I presume you're :fishing: but on the off just that you're just a bit dim... the club is owned by a fan. To enable a lot of us to own a tiny proportion of shares would be pointless, and create unnecessary administrative expenses.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

To be completely honest it's the same in any business, if I'd stumped up over £100m to own the vast majority of the club I'd want a fairly big say in what happens, having hundreds of people with 0.001% of the club and all the cost and administration that goes with it would be a bloody nightmare.

If TB wanted to make money out of something there's about 1,000 things he could do before investing in a football club.

If TB hadn't done what he'd done and by some financial miracle we'd still managed to build the Amex I can assure you it would have looked far different and much cheaper. We'd now be 99.99% owned by RBS or The Bank of Saudi Arabia and as soon as there was the chance to make 50p we'd have been flogged.

For me, and it is only my opinion, we spend too much time knocking the club, TB, Barber, Perry et al and not enough time reflecting on the positives, as I say, just my opinion.

Tim

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I presume you're :fishing: but on the off just that you're just a bit dim... the club is owned by a fan. To enable a lot of us to own a tiny proportion of shares would be pointless, and create unnecessary administrative expenses.

'Unnecessary administrative expenses' that El Presidente has pointed out would be negligible - that however is a totally different subject dealt with on other threads.

My reply was in response to a post suggesting we should be 'happy' to pay higher prices than necessary for the new shirts.

It annoys me when the high prices of goods and services offered by the club are excused as fans 'investing' in the club. We're doing no such thing.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
QPR have released their shirts and they're just templates, really sloppy. Can't see why Nike would do anything different for us, so look at Hartlepool, not Porto or Hertha, for a glimpse of the future.

But they must have the template they used for last seasons Porto, Hertha and Athletico shirts so why not *******ise it to use it again. I'd be happy with any of those.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'Unnecessary administrative expenses' that El Presidente has pointed out would be negligible - that however is a totally different subject dealt with on other threads.

My reply was in response to a post suggesting we should be 'happy' to pay higher prices than necessary for the new shirts.
That may be why you were replying, but you were having an unnecessary dig at TB.

It annoys me when the high prices of goods and services offered by the club are excused as fans 'investing' in the club. We're doing no such thing.
Well we're not going to see a financial return on the money we put it, but we are going to see a more successful club as a result of the money we put in, and most of us want that (the successful club bit, not the high prices). It's just a different way of using the word. Like you might invest in your children's future - you hope for them to benefit from the investment. The main point is, the club are running at a loss so we're not lining the pockets of some greedy owner, all the money we spend goes on the club we love.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here