Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Keeper

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Casper is a good L1 goalie who is slightly better than this for US because he fits our style so can just about get away with him starting for us in Champ but Leeds didn't fit. However he is truly woeful at taking crosses and should only be a short term answer.

Brez is a decent Back-up for a top L1 club, and could start in that league for a lower half team, but not champ standard even if playing for the right club. Doesn't in the slightest fit our style. Why we have kept hold of him I don't know.

Poke is a career back-up at our level in my opinion (So at a higher level than Brez) and far more potential to learn and improve. Was amazing at Torquay and had only a couple of halves of first team football for us. Think he'd be a solid if unspectacular option if knows he's 2nd choice but 3rd choice keeper is never going to play so probably no offence to him isn't 100% ready to get into a game tomorrow until given some backing with regular bench spot and gets in that mindset for a long period of time.

From the above would seem to me we need to sign a very talented youngster to play this year with the development squad learning the Brighton way and picking up Casper's good points as 3rd choice, while Poke sits on bench and Brez is 'axed'. Then hopefully after a year or so of learning behind Casper and not being rushed into the squad permanently because of Poke, Gus' project keeper can grab the number one shirt from him with Poke staying number 2 and we are set.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ankergen cost us a few last year but we mainly got away with it. He will cost us a lot more this year . He is good on the ground though which is the main reason he is still No1.

Big season for him, vultures ready to pounce

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
FFS... I am forced to agree with Mr Burns on this one... first time for everything I suppose! :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergen cost us a few last year but we mainly got away with it. He will cost us a lot more this year . He is good on the ground though which is the main reason he is still No1.

First of all, leave [MENTION=2608]vulture[/MENTION] out of this!

But mainly, which games did Ankergren cost us? Are you referring to Rochdale at Withdean? I would put more blame for that result on Greer for his red card. Or maybe you're referring to Hartlepool away where he made an error which led to their first goal, but he wasn't to blame for that result either. I honestly think that Ankergren is better than most other goalkeepers we could sign because of his ability with the ball at his feet, alot of people don't seem to recognise that ability. How many goalkeepers have we had who were as good as him with the ball and with his general goalkeeping, crosses aside.

The perfect goalkeeper doesn't exist at this level. And if he did, he would be VERY expensive.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

But mainly, which games did Ankergren cost us? Are you referring to Rochdale at Withdean? I would put more blame for that result on Greer for his red card. Or maybe you're referring to Hartlepool away where he made an error which led to their first goal, but he wasn't to blame for that result either. I honestly think that Ankergren is better than most other goalkeepers we could sign because of his ability with the ball at his feet, alot of people don't seem to recognise that ability. How many goalkeepers have we had who were as good as him with the ball and with his general goalkeeping, crosses aside.

The perfect goalkeeper doesn't exist at this level. And if he did, he would be VERY expensive.

Totally agree with this post!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Your crying about it again. It's my opinion. If you don't like it or share the same one that's fine but pull yourself together and stop wining like a baby about it and trying to be all smart because you sound like a total dick!
Trying to sound smart.

Afer your posts mate, chimpanze sitting at the zoo smelling a handful of his own shit, would out smart you

D

Deleted member 18477

You are a cock of the highest order. Slightly different to calling someone SHIT.

Lol I think we'll just agree to disagree. Or kiss and make up? your insults aren't even insulting you've used so many. Up to you burnsy.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Looks like Rob Elliot is being forced out of the door at Charlton (we signed a new first choice keeper yesterday without telling him, it seems). Dodgy at crosses and not vocal enough with his defence, but a fanastic shot-stopper especially fast reaction saves. West Ham reportedly want him if Robert Green leaves (according to the Sun, anyway). Only has a year left on his contract so I imagine we'll only want circa £250k. Not sure if he's better than what you've got, but West Ham see him as Championship quality, so...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

He did, but he also saved us a hell of a lot of points, and was a good part of the reason for our amazing March run. His cross taking has improved greatly towards the end of the season, and I think its true, if it wasn't for his abilty witht he ball at his feet, Gus would be probably looking elsewhere, but he fits in to the style of play so well that you cant replace him.

As I said earlier, look at the difference Saturday between the halfs. Granted, Spurs changed slightly in the second half, but whenever Caspers in goal we play the ball out from the back, when Brezovan is there, the football side of things go, and we go back to hoff ball, and thats not our way. And I think the main issue with Brez is, he himself knows he cannot play this play, and that has destroyed his confidence, and for a back up goalkeeper that is a disater.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Lol I think we'll just agree to disagree. Or kiss and make up? your insults aren't even insulting you've used so many. Up to you burnsy.
Sorry other people talking. Growns up having a debate. If you want to join in the debate, fine we'll play nicely, if you want to just call players shit, and not be prepared to discuss it, instead just repeating yourself that other are crying (!?!?!), then you may as well go and play in your tree house on your own.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Looks like Rob Elliot is being forced out of the door at Charlton (we signed a new first choice keeper yesterday without telling him, it seems). Dodgy at crosses and not vocal enough with his defence, but a fanastic shot-stopper especially fast reaction saves. West Ham reportedly want him if Robert Green leaves (according to the Sun, anyway). Only has a year left on his contract so I imagine we'll only want circa £250k. Not sure if he's better than what you've got, but West Ham see him as Championship quality, so...
No goalkeeper that isnt good on crosses, or is not vocal enough, is going to get anywhere near replacing Casper.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lovely jubbly. You know it makes sense:wink:

Looking forward to you eating humble pie over Barnes! :wink:

Also, I wonder how Chris 'I'll never make the West Brom first team' Wood is getting on? Still emulating a bag of rotting potatoes, I presume! :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think casper got better at crosses during the season, I think we just grew accustomed to it so were less nervous, and accepted it as his game. I definitely remember regulalrly worrying that if our opposition had someone at the far post for all the crosses that went past him, we would have conceded a lot more than we did. That is something that worries me for this year: won't the championship players be more likely to pounce on this?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Great post. And if the perfect keeper did exist at this level, he wouldn't still be at this level!

I think people are far to quick to blame the goalkeeper at this club. I think Caspers the best keeper we've had since Ben Roberts, but then I think a lot of negativaty towards him, comes from people that still haven't accpeted that Kuipers isn't in goal any more. ANd for whats its worth, while Kuipers was an excellent shot stopper, I think he wouldn't have a chance of playing "the Brighton way", and if he was still in goal last season, we would not have been promoted, because the main thing that got us promoted was our style of play, and he wasn't capable of playing that way, and Casper is, and as 90% of moves start from the back, Casper is the best keeper we are likely to be able to attract here at the moment, and I think people have just got to accept that.

Off course he has faults, but put a faultless keeper in goal but who can't play with the ball at his feet, and we have a far weaker goalkeeper...... for our style of play.

As Lord Gus keeps saying over and over again, he could go and sign lots of players tomorrow, but he needs to sign players that fit into our style of play, and of all the players in the side that fits our style of play, I think Casper is the most important one, because without him, as has been proved, we resort to the long ball game, and that is not our way, and if we do stop playing it from the back, we become a much much poorer team because of it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Looking forward to you eating humble pie over Barnes! :wink:

Also, I wonder how Chris 'I'll never make the West Brom first team' Wood is getting on? Still emulating a bag of rotting potatoes, I presume! :)
So am I over Barnes, I'd love to eat some pie, but I don't think the filling with be humble, but we shall see.

No idea about Wood. DOn't care about him now really.

D

Deleted member 18477

Sorry other people talking. Growns up having a debate. If you want to join in the debate, fine we'll play nicely, if you want to just call players shit, and not be prepared to discuss it, instead just repeating yourself that other are crying (!?!?!), then you may as well go and play in your tree house on your own.

I did explain it a few quotes up. He cant deal with crosses or play on the deck. At this level he's shit. Simple. why another insult? Tree house? That would imply I'm young and immature? You can't stop yourself can you. Although like I've said you've used so many now there having no real effect on what your saying. Not sure why me saying he's shit in the first place has wound you up so much anyway. It's only an Internet forum afterall... And I'm a small fish in the big pond as they say so if what I said was so stupid why bother starting all this confrontation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I do feel bad for Brezovan, but I do think it's best he moved on, he'll do well again at League 1. I'm unsure if we should be looking at a new first or second choice keeper though, Ankergren has so many positives to compensate for the negatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here