Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New hospital building

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It is definitely in the wrong place should Have beer built adjacent to Sussex university, it’s massively over budget ( but that’s only to be expected ), the helicopter pad is currently unusable due to its height, it’s taken so long to build that much of the infrastructure is in need of replacement
Not it’s height, it’s something else.

It will be operational, as if the Trust want to maintain trauma centre status this needs to be in place.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree 100% about the access to the hospital and the parking issues. It is a terrible place to get to. However it is what it is and I guess Brighton is stuck with the location. New buildings to replace those horrible old Victorian wards are an absolute godsend. My old Mother in law died in one of those cramped gloomy wards a few years back and the environment did nothing to help her daughters in dealing with it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm reliably informed that A&E is unchanged and will remain as shit as ever, as are the operating theatres. The helipad, currently, is a right royal f***-up.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Wasn't there talk about an A&E hospital being built off Holmes Ave in Hove at one point

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Access and parking are god awful. I have a relative with complex health needs. My heart sinks whenever she tells me she has an appt at the RSCH. Or the Sussex Eye Hospital.

I have doubts the Helipad will ever be viable.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
You can't compare a state of the art hospital with blocks in lewes road that look East Berlin on a bad day.
there was no direct comparison only a comment that there has been a lot of sites where the new hospital could have gone , Lewes road being one of them as there was a lot of room there.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, but even the woodingdean hospital isn’t the easiest to get to.
I would have preferred them to compulsory purchase Goldstone Bottom and build it there where there is much better access near the by-pass and keep a smaller A&E at the RSCH site for more local emergencies.
The current site is just so inaccessible by ambulance, taxi, car, bus and by foot. Parking is a nightmare for staff, patients and visitors. It’s almost as if the council had something to do with it.

Agreed traffic into Woodingdean is not good BUT an improved Warren road as part of the deal might have helped, there is a lot of land available to widen the road.

To be fair the bus service past the RSC hospital is pretty good.....

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think you might be confusing that with the offer the Albion made to house some NHS services on the Amex site if the hotel planning permission was passed.
The land at Falmer (including our Amex location) was originally kept deliberately undeveloped for use as a new hospital site for Brighton and Hove. However the growth of the two universities since the 70’s meant it was no longer a viable site for a modern hospital with A&E. Redeveloping the current RSCH site will in time be seen to be a monumental waste of money. Totally the wrong place for an A&E unit. Who else would have one in the side of a steep hill, with limited road access? Only reason the latest RSCH development has taken place is it was a cheaper option than move the entire hospital to a new location. Moving to a new location is what should have been happened. The current housing development next to Hove station shows it could have been done there if planners had the vision, money and bravery to do it.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I'm reliably informed that A&E is unchanged and will remain as shit as ever, as are the operating theatres. The helipad, currently, is a right royal f***-up.
Reliably informed? Really? I would look to change your sources if I were you.
The plan is to completely redevelop that A&E dept. next year.
Additional operating theatres are in place in the new extension.
The helipad wil be operational before the end of the year, if things stay on plan.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Reliably informed? Really? I would look to change your sources if I were you.
The plan is to completely redevelop that A&E dept. next year.
Additional operating theatres are in place in the new extension.
The helipad wil be operational before the end of the year, if things stay on plan.
Good news about A&E. Let's see what £48m does to improve things.
Neurosurgery theatres in the new extension. Nothing's been done to improve what exists.
Hallelujah for the helipad - an end to that particular farce in sight then "if things stay on plan". When was it meant to be operational?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here