Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New hospital building

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Opens today:

Having suffered frequent (too many) visits to the old buildings as an outpatient, patient and visitor, this looks like really good news for the area and long overdue.

I already have had an appointment in July changed to the new buildings so will have a better look around then!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Great to have a new building but they don't have enough staff and the hospital is ranked as not performing adequately or whatever the phrase is.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
all very good but in the wrong place. Why oh why didn’t they build it somewhere sensible.
I suspect, as we saw when the Amex was built, such new sites are few and far between. That said, there do seem to be sites found for new blocks of flats, eg the old sidings off Sackville Road in Hove and that might have been an option with a bit of forethought.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I suspect, as we saw when the Amex was built, such new sites are few and far between. That said, there do seem to be sites found for new blocks of flats, eg the old sidings off Sackville Road in Hove and that might have been an option with a bit of forethought.
Not enough money in it for the landowners.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Nuffield seemed to have managed it with their hospital in Woodingdean, the university seems to continue to expand and masses of new blocks off the Lewes Road

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Nuffield seemed to have managed it with their hospital in Woodingdean, the university seems to continue to expand and masses of new blocks off the Lewes Road
Yes, but even the woodingdean hospital isn’t the easiest to get to.
I would have preferred them to compulsory purchase Goldstone Bottom and build it there where there is much better access near the by-pass and keep a smaller A&E at the RSCH site for more local emergencies.
The current site is just so inaccessible by ambulance, taxi, car, bus and by foot. Parking is a nightmare for staff, patients and visitors. It’s almost as if the council had something to do with it.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I may be wrong but I think several years before the stadium was being talked about, the NHS were offered the Amex site

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seem to recall a new Cancer Unit being thrown in a sweetener when the Amex hotel was up for planning approval

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I may be wrong but I think several years before the stadium was being talked about, the NHS were offered the Amex site
I think you might be confusing that with the offer the Albion made to house some NHS services on the Amex site if the hotel planning permission was passed.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think you might be confusing that with the offer the Albion made to house some NHS services on the Amex site if the hotel planning permission was passed.
no I'm talking years before we'd even discussed moving there

I heard about it through NHS circles when I worked for them

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An amazing facility, I'm not going to baulk at £500m spent by the government on our city's critical services. This will be a far better place to work and get well/treatment.

As explained by the clinicians this has been carefully planned eg diagnostics are now located nearer to relevant wards.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
all very good but in the wrong place. Why oh why didn’t they build it somewhere sensible.
The issue with location goes back decades, to the time before the Millenium wing was built. At the time the discussion was had about basically a complete new hospital on a new site, with the eventual closure of RSCH. There were the usual arguments regarding purchasing new land, rededveloping the current site, access and all the million and one other things that makle up a decision.

Ultimatley the powers that be decided to redevelop the current site, and as a result the new childrens hospital, millenium wing, and now the new buildings have resulted

In discussion withher consultant a few years ago while at the cancer centre, my sister was told that the feeling was that a mistake was made in redeveloping rather than a complete new build, however once decided, and the millenium wing, and then the childrens hospital were started, it was simply to late and too expensive to basically scrap it all and start again on a more accesable site -even if one could be found

AS a result we have had years of the main hospital in the south east outside london, trying to keep open and run, whist effectivly being rebuilt around the open areas.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Is the A&E department being moved down hill a little bit? It's always seemed crazy to me that it would be at the top of a tonk hill rather than at ground level.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
An amazing facility, I'm not going to baulk at £500m spent by the government on our city's critical services. This will be a far better place to work and get well/treatment.

As explained by the clinicians this has been carefully planned eg diagnostics are now located nearer to relevant wards.
You mention the cities critical services, the name of the sodding place is Royal Sussex County Hospital, and it's near f***ing impossible to get there for anyone not living in Brighton. In totally the wrong place to serve the county.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It is definitely in the wrong place should Have beer built adjacent to Sussex university, it’s massively over budget ( but that’s only to be expected ), the helicopter pad is currently unusable due to its height, it’s taken so long to build that much of the infrastructure is in need of replacement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here