Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deal for Ashley Barnes...

Hope people won't mind if I prefer Ulloa and CMS as our striker picks

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Love the way everyone assuming it's good news. Who knows what's in the contract he has been offered??? Could be the same wages, or even less. I can't see him being a regular under Garcia, could just be a squad player contract. None of us really know anything.

Yeah, but this being a Brighton fans forum, it's not a suprise that people are pleased, and hopeful that it's an improved contract, that we hope will keep one of our longest standing, popular, successful and consistant players at the club, not to forget one of our top scorers in recent years, rather than allow him to move away, possibly to one of our competitors.

When all fit I believe we have 3 strikers who would die for the cause of BHA

Sure and we do need 3, and I'm not sure Becchio is actually better than Barnes so not convinced we need more strikers if we get Ash to sign on

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hope people won't mind if I prefer Ulloa and CMS as our striker picks

All about opinions, Ulloa is a totally different type of player as is CMS and although I admire CMS effort, his ball control and close passing is League One standard imo. I hope he proves me wrong because I'd really like to see him succeed here. Barnes and CMS offer different things to the side though so I'd be happy with both of them staying here.

I admire CMS effort, his ball control and close passing is League One standard imo

Technique/first touch is also an issue for Barnes, think both players are easily Championship standard, CMS carries the greater threat with his speed and movement - I would imagine the comparable stats for both League 1 and Champ would bear this out

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Technique/first touch is also an issue for Barnes, think both players are easily Championship standard, CMS carries the greater threat with his speed and movement - I would imagine the comparable stats for both League 1 and Champ would bear this out

CMS has played as a striker only, Barnes has hardly played upfront at all in the last two seasons and I'm not sure the goal stats are that different, we'll have to ask Acker on that one :smile:

Definitely going to have to agree to differ on Barnes first touch, I think it has come on in leaps and bounds over the last year. Looks comfortable on the ball and lays off well, the opening goal against Derby being a good example.

Scaring defenders, CMS wins hands down except he's a bit lightweight once he gets in the box. Spends quite a bit of time on his arse arms out appealing for a foul that wasn't

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is no way of telling if the achilles injury has affected CMS' pace yet, which is is his strongest asset. I hope Barnes does sign as I like him.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you think Ashley's technique and first touch is an issue, I think you should forget your first impression from when he joined and watch him now. He is a different player with excellent touch and technique who rarely loses the ball fairly or plays a loose ball - witness his Prem class first time layoff to Calde for him to cross for Ulloa to score against Derby.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As long as Garcia sees him as a striker rather than a left-sided midfielder then this is good news in my humble opinion; good backup to Ulloa.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't really think this means much. If he is out of contract at the end of the season, we are just making sure he doesn't leave for nothing. Good business sense really. Doesn't mean he isn't off in the next week, just means we are insuring our assets.

bit of both possibly...rewarding the player and securing us some dosh should he move on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You are comparing CMS and Barnes, and it's BARNES' first touch that is an issue?! Wow.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

For me Barnes offers more than CMS, who is a poor finisher at this level, runs into 'blind alleys', has a poor first touch and offers nothing aerially or defensively. His saving grace is that he harries defences into going long, thus losing possession.

Barnes has an ever improving touch, good vision and awareness of team mates, he is defensively sound and reasonable in the air. He doesn't have the pace of CMS, but positions himself more intelligently.

Barnes every time for me at this level.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Reckon Barnesy could prove himself among the best strikers in the Championship in the coming years. Is he good enough for the premiership? Not now, probably, but he's a player that continues to improve so who knows what his ultimate level will be. We'll do well to hold onto him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here