Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new caterers hit or miss

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But as CEO surely this rests with him? I know he has to present certain items to the board for approval but ultimately it his thinking and plans which the board merely back? He has said this himself in those interviews with Walt.

The price increases for the programmes, pies and pints to the level they're at now (i.e. same as last season) were decided before he arrived.

Above and beyond that, you're correct.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The price increases for the programmes, pies and pints to the level they're at now (i.e. same as last season) were decided before he arrived.

Above and beyond that, you're correct.

Okay; I see what you mean i.e. these 3 specific items have not actually increased in price this year so technically they're untouched by him at present. But, many other items have increased which clearly is his doing.

As an aside I now genuinely worry for the future of Harveys and Piglets at the AMEX.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have previously mentioned that the sacking of Azure now seems more profit than quality driven which says a lot about his thinking and modus operandi. I would not put it past him to think he can make more profit flogging cheaper booze and pies to us. Just a hunch, nothing more, and I hope I am totally wrong. And I'd be prepared to engage in an Ernest style protest if my worry came to being.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
The main problem is that the whole concept is deeply flawed. If you advertise a contract for catering its pretty obvious who's going to win, its the firm that promises the biggest income to the club. How do they do that and still make a profit for themselves, simple. They employ minimal numbers of staff, pay them the lowest wage they can get away with, keep stock levels to a minimum and carry out the least amount of training they can. We are now witnessing the result for the 3rd time.

As far as the 1901 is concerned I dont see why the club feels that the majority of members want 'fine dining'. I would suggest that the vast majority want to watch the footie in comfortable surroundings and be able to grab a bite to eat if they want to. If I want fine dining I will go to a restaurant, (although I doubt I would ever pay £91 for a meal).

I noticed last week that Portsmouth FC had decided that from this season they were going to run the catering in-house on the basis that they could respond quickly to fans needs and that every penny of profit would go back to the club. Why on earth didn't we do that because with our gates this could have been a really good money spinner. Instead we seem to be using outside caterers who's first priority is profit for themselves. The result is shabby and a growing anger amongst the fans that we are paying even more for a deteriorating level of quality and service.

This pretty much nails it. The club are DESPERATE to try and get people to arrive early and leave late to help hide the massive flaws in their 'transport plan' yet their decisions around the catering partners go completely against this. Perhaps they actually want less people to start attending matches? If everybody gives up on the post match pint, for example, the queue for the Brighton train would snake round the entire stadium.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Okay; I see what you mean i.e. these 3 specific items have not actually increased in price this year so technically they're untouched by him at present. But, many other items have increased which clearly is his doing.

As an aside I now genuinely worry for the future of Harveys and Piglets at the AMEX

Me too. I give it until Christmas before these are replaced with something lesser.

I have previously mentioned that the sacking of Azure now seems more profit than quality driven which says a lot about his thinking and modus operandi. I would not put it past him to think he can make more profit flogging cheaper booze and pies to us. Just a hunch, nothing more, and I hope I am totally wrong. And I'd be prepared to engage in an Ernest style protest if my worry came to being.

Isn't it in the Club Charter that they will source from Local Companies?

They wouldn't/couldn't change that to suit their agenda, would they?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I hope a Mod sees this before someone's lawyer does.

I had interpreted "...bloom and barber...." as a synonym for ".....the club will see higher revenue...", but you're right, it's very ambiguous at best. Taken at face value, it suggests a bribe, which is probably not a wise thing to post on a public forum, as well as being, imo, untrue.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I had interpreted "...bloom and barber...." as a synonym for ".....the club will see higher revenue...", but you're right, it's very ambiguous at best. Taken at face value, it suggests a bribe, which is probably not a wise thing to post on a public forum, as well as being, imo, untrue.

It's not meant as a bribe, whenever a tender is produced. A money up front scheme is always used as a sign of good faith

Andy Canine

May 30, 2013
The new burgers are crap - not a patch on last years...

Am hoping the lack of choice in the West was due to unforeseen demand and they get it sorted by 10th August - getting pies before the game was a real mission.
We ordered four special pies (Chicken and Chorizo) - in return we got 2 x Chicken Balti, 1 x Chicken and Ham and 1 Special pie, well 1 out of 4 isn't bad, is it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

They're also very aware of the brand loyalty enjoyed by Harvey's and Piglet's, and how it affects, among other things, transport issues after the match.

Re: the cheap booze thing - you can't, as a caterer, buy much cheaper than Foster's - yet it's still £3.90 on the concourses, the same as Harvey's. Can you see them dropping the price? Who would benefit?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
When an organisation franchises its catering, or indeed any other function out to a third party, it becomes a race to the bottom. Those who want these contracts throw in the cheapest bid possible. When they win the said contract, they often make it up as they go along, cutting corners and quality where they can get away with it - Or think they can get away with it.

When companies and other organisations ran their catering in house, the quality and price was seldom an issue. When the Sodexos of this World came along, the standards and quality of food was generally shite. Always profit before quality.

It doesn't surprise me about the reports of staff at The Amex having little or no training. As with many organisations, training along with health and safety is often seen as a drain on profits, where if possible, only lip service will be paid to the implemention.

Hopefully Barber has seen this thread and will be sending a rocket to the caterers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the worst report I can remember reading since the early days 2 years ago.

It's all beginning to unravel now. The parking clampdown in Coldean / Moulescoomb, sky high prices in the Bridge Car Park, the third caterers making a complete hash of it and the massive queues for public transport after the game. Barber needs to know this stuff is REALLY important - for a lot of people it's MORE important than transfer signings.

Did anyone really think that the caterers would get it absolutely, on-the-nail right first time?

I mean - REALLY?

Talk about getting a bee in your bonnet...

No, but then this is now the 3rd (?) lot in 2 years and so far none have addressed any of the issues re staffing levels, training, supply etc. What makes you think this lot will be any better?

Not a dig before you get upset just an observation, I want it to work, I want to spend my money inside the stadium but it's just getting difficult to do so.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Isn't it in the Club Charter that they will source from Local Companies?

They wouldn't/couldn't change that to suit their agenda, would they?

It's in Sodexos charter to source local suppliers:

Passion for food:- Sodexo’s commitment to local sourcing is not just in support of our ethical principles; it’s also about our passion for food.

Local sourcing: - We sow the seeds of great food by caring about where our food comes from – sourcing ingredients locally and building close relationships with farmers and suppliers.

Sustainable events: - All our venues and events operate a BS8901 accredited management system to help them make your events greener.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here