Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Berlin Airport - Massive Overspend, Inefficiency and a Severe Delay in Opening

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
like all airlines they started cutting costs due to all sorts of pressures. one of them is they now have a client base that will shift carriers based on being charged 25 quid for a checked bag. and then think its the 50s and they should be plied with champagne and treated like lords.

BA have a very very professional crew (although mixed fleet is diluting that) and i think you would find out BA's true value when there is a real issue. safety, attention to detail, professionalism.

i stopped flying Singapore for the opposite reasons, no matter how they may kiss your arse and all look pretty they dont enforce any sort of responsible cabin behaviour from passengers or seem to exercise any control. aircraft constantly going tech. thats what drives my decisions.

I had a couple of issues with them over delayed luggage and a cancelled flight and I did not find their response or attitude good. The response was noticeably different to how they used to deal with customers as well. If I do not feel I'm being listened to or looked after I quickly take my custom elsewhere. This is not about being a lord it's about resolving an issue and not being bombarded with excuses. I appreciate this was 7 years ago and things might have changed but my custom is elsewhere these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
like all airlines they started cutting costs due to all sorts of pressures. one of them is they now have a client base that will shift carriers based on being charged 25 quid for a checked bag. and then think its the 50s and they should be plied with champagne and treated like lords.

BA have a very very professional crew (although mixed fleet is diluting that) and i think you would find out BA's true value when there is a real issue. safety, attention to detail, professionalism.

i stopped flying Singapore for the opposite reasons, no matter how they may kiss your arse and all look pretty they dont enforce any sort of responsible cabin behaviour from passengers or seem to exercise any control. aircraft constantly going tech. thats what drives my decisions.

And if they're such a great company why do their staff go on strike so often?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
unlike lufthansa who have had numerous strikes already this year?

I'm disputing BA, what's Lufthansa got to do with how shabby BA are?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm disputing BA, what's Lufthansa got to do with how shabby BA are?

i knew you would say that. lufthansa are a big competitor of BA's and your flag carrier. dont be deliberately obtuse. their recent industrial relations record is equally as poor as BA's if not worse.

I dont think BA are shabby. you have had a bad customer service experience it appears, but i have always found them far better than most flag carriers. maintainance, safety, network, crew professionalism, all top notch. i lost a bag with them recently and the customer service was superb. wasnt BA's fault it was ground handlers, but they didnt bitch or pass the buck they were excellent. what happened to you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i knew you would say that. lufthansa are a big competitor of BA's and your flag carrier. dont be deliberately obtuse. their recent industrial relations record is equally as poor as BA's if not worse.

I dont think BA are shabby. you have had a bad customer service experience it appears, but i have always found them far better than most flag carriers. maintainance, safety, network, crew professionalism, all top notch. i lost a bag with them recently and the customer service was superb. wasnt BA's fault it was ground handlers, but they didnt bitch or pass the buck they were excellent. what happened to you?

Out of interest how does a normal punter judge maintenance and safety? I'd probably notice if a wing was missing but beyond this how can I tell if BA are better than say Easyjet?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Out of interest how does a normal punter judge maintenance and safety? I'd probably notice if a wing was missing but beyond this how can I tell if BA are better than say Easyjet?

basic research, its all in the public domain. lots of aviation and industry publications available, often at airports, for free.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
basic research, its all in the public domain. lots of aviation and industry publications available, often at airports, for free.

Do other posters regularly check airline safety and maintenance when they decide which flight to take? I can't say this has ever been a concern of mine when unless there is an obvious issue when flying internally in a 3rd world county or something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm pleased you told me this. Something I'd never considered before.

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/b...ounges-in-terminal-5-of-heathrow-airport.html

T5 lounges food offerings are out of this world compared to most. fantastic range of hot food salads coffees drinks etc in all lounges (concorde room is a different class altogether). T3 very good also. By far the best flag carrier lounge offerings of any major european hub (with perhaps the exception of Finnairs at Helsinki - bot not really on the same scale).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
T5 lounges food offerings are out of this world compared to most. fantastic range of hot food salads coffees drinks etc in all lounges (concorde room is a different class altogether). T3 very good also. By far the best flag carrier lounge offerings of any major european hub (with perhaps the exception of Finnairs at Helsinki - bot not really on the same scale).

"Food hygiene and safety at the lounges of British Airways catered by BaxterStorey has been rated 2 out of 5 — considered a poor score — by the London Borough of Hillingdon, supposedly resulting in the lounges placing in the bottom ten percent of all food establishments in England, which includes hamburger vans and kebab shops."

Yeah, right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Whereas

"Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse was awarded a Food Hygiene Rating of 5 (Very Good) by Crawley Borough Council on 6th December, 2013."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Jul 7, 2003
[video]https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-54754565[/video]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports