Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NEW: Barber on Hughton, and our big signings.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good to see the club defending the manager against some of the thickos and reactionaries in our support.
Fans pay their hard earned money and are entitled to an opinion. It’s easy to label the disgruntled thickos now we are safe for another season. Footballs been dire we are just lucky Cardiff couldn’t capitalise we haven’t won a game since Millwall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

That was all pretty standard, safe and bland stuff in that interview, didn’t really learn anything new.

The only thing that surprised me a little was that he actually said, don’t be surprised if one or two of the signings don’t work out. I expected just a very safe and blanket defence of the signings and talk of needing time to settle etc. Says to me that maybe they have made their minds up about one or two of them - Alireza and Locadia being the obvious two as all of the others have been relatively successful signings.

Not a surprise at all to me - it's a pragmatic/realistic view from a seasoned CEO - some hiring not working out is the same in absolutely any industry. Whilst the numbers (cost of those not yet working out) look eye-watering to us, in PL terms at least the club are taking a calculated risk with some of the signings (by looking outside of the PL for example). They'll also be learning all the time. Absolutely convinced our transfer record will be broken again this summer - TB/PB/CH will be clear on where we need to strengthen and what this will take.

It's easy to criticise but the club is in very, very good hands with those three and we need to be careful what we wish for.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good to see the club defending the manager against some of the thickos and reactionaries in our support.

Thicko and bottler, it gets better and better :wink:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Fans pay their hard earned money and are entitled to an opinion. It’s easy to label the disgruntled thickos now we are safe for another season. Footballs been dire we are just lucky Cardiff couldn’t capitalise we haven’t won a game since Millwall.

The season descended into a need to get the last vital few points up on the board to ensure our survival. When you're coming up against multiple hundreds of millions worth of talent the backs are going to be against the wall, we simply cannot compete on a level field. Anyway it's all been said before (and then some). The sooner we adopt the NFL draft system, the best players going to the shittest clubs, the better.
:wink:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

And we only drew that one, against a relegation threatened Championship team.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That really isn't adapting is it?

That's just rolling up in a ball and hiding under his comfort blanket.

When you're responsible for £150m + revenue a year - comfort blanket is fine if it gets you over the line. Was always worried about this second season in the PL and was particularly worried about expectations getting too heated. Hughton has tried to play more expansive football and has tried to introduce new/expensive players into the team. But, when it was all going to SHIT he went back to what he - and the team - needed; defensive solidity and shape. Last week at Arsenal the shackles did come off and we could have easily come away from the Emirates with three points (could have easily got none too because we were more open). We are in our second season in the Premier League and just our sixth season in the top flight of English football - everyone needs to calm the **** down and let the club review the season just gone. Ashworth and Hughton (sounds like an R&B act) could just conjure up something special over the next few years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We've won nine games this season which is the same as last season. Wins are very hard to come by in the Premier League so draws have to make up the points to survive.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Not a surprise at all to me - it's a pragmatic/realistic view from a seasoned CEO - some hiring not working out is the same in absolutely any industry. Whilst the numbers (cost of those not yet working out) look eye-watering to us, in PL terms at least the club are taking a calculated risk with some of the signings (by looking outside of the PL for example). They'll also be learning all the time. Absolutely convinced our transfer record will be broken again this summer - TB/PB/CH will be clear on where we need to strengthen and what this will take.

It's easy to criticise but the club is in very, very good hands with those three and we need to be careful what we wish for.

CH has recently said that in the summer with the rise of prices for all players that the transfer record would be broken (almost by default)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I never want us to become a knee jerk, hire and fire Club. We have built magnificently from a modest and sometimes troubled past.

As a paying punter, I would like to see some progress. This season overall was poorer than the first season at he big boys table, both in performance and enjoyment for me (home and away).

We got away with it with a few 'nicely timed wins' and even Barber & Co must know we probably won't get away with a similar level next year.

So long as these 'all is good and comfy' platitudes sits on a bed of 'feck me, we need to pull our socks up' then all is good in the world.

Also, I hope we don't become too happy-clappy where all is wonderful, trust those in charge and enjoy yourselves whatever the levels of performance.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I'm not sure the opinion of we the vocal minority counts for much when the board review the season and plan for the next. But at least it might sway them into positive action to stop the negativity spreading amongst the fan base.

I don't expect Chris to be sacked, but I would hope a quiet word would be had to up the entertainment level.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It's a good read. I was definitely not happy with the recent performances, excluding the second half of Newcastle and the Arsenal away game, but at no point did I want Chris Hughton to go. It seems that his calm approach whether pretty to watch or not has got us over the line.

Football is emotive, as fans including me get angry when the performances are poor and there is a threat of relegation or not achieving the target. But when I think back to the beginning of the season (not Watford away) the football was much better and less cautious then the previous season. A couple games at home the away goal keepers got man of the match and made wonder saves to stop us from winning. So it seems to me that CH does have ways of playing that is more entertaining in the premier league,we have seen it, but will rely on trying to ground out results when it's not working. It does not appear that he has "lost the dressing room" so there are no problems see I can for him continuing to be our manager and glad that the people running the club are sensible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's going to upset those who wanted Chris out. Shame.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doesn't answer the question of whether Chris Hughton is the right man to take the club forward now...

I would be surprised if they make a change but it really ought to be considered.
I suspect it has been considered. Tony will have thought to himself 'would we do better with another manager', and come to the conclusion that we wouldn't.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

I think you're right to assume this is a vote of confidence, but it wouldn't be the first to come before a parting of the ways, Tony is loyal but also ruthless.

The last few months have been difficult to watch for us fans, imagine if you had hundreds of millions riding on it?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I suspect it has been considered. Tony will have thought to himself 'would we do better with another manager', and come to the conclusion that we wouldn't.

I remember reading an interview with Tony Bloom where he said he always had a list of back up options for posts within the club even when things seemed to be going well. I'm sure he will have done as you say. I'm pleased we have these men looking after our club. Baby steps is the way to go

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Not in the least bit upset, sorry to disappoint you, but carry on being a smug git :shrug:

What I want and what I get are two very different things but I totally get why the club are sticking with him.

The football for the last few months has been absolute shit and I feel no guilt in suggesting a change of manager may improve the way we play. I may be wrong but having an opinion different to you doesn’t make it the wrong one

Just off to piss my pants

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you're right to assume this is a vote of confidence, but it wouldn't be the first to come before a parting of the ways, Tony is loyal but also ruthless.
Votes of confidence that come before a sacking are mid season. When a team isn't doing well, the fans and media are on the manager's back, and the owners say they back the manager in an attempt to give the manager a little clout over the players, as a last ditch attempt to turn things around. Lose the next couple of games and the manager is gone. That's not the situation we're in now that we're safe. The players will be happy that we've avoided relegation, and they won't be questioning who's in charge.

If there was an intended element of a vote of confidence there, it was aimed at the fans - 'Chris has done a great job and he's here to stay, so don't expect a change'.

The last few months have been difficult to watch for us fans, imagine if you had hundreds of millions riding on it?
If Tony thought the best chance for this club to stay up for the next few seasons would be to change manager, then that's what he'd do. But I don't believe he does. I suspect he believes that Chris knows what he's doing, and is our best chance of a continued run in the PL.

If Chris can make a success of things here, it's possible we'll have stable management for years to come. That's a really thing to achieve for a club outside the top lot, because usually a club either fails at some point (and dumps the manager) or they're successful and the manager is tempted away. Given that Chris isn't seen as an exciting attacking manager, there's less chance of him being tempted away if we are successful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here