Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New £55 million investment into The Amex?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is that right? Can you please confirm the details and contact Tony Bloom before the club go any further with this madness.

What details? Just expressing a concern that a hotel next to a football ground isn't a licence to print money. I know that Tony Bloom has made a lot of money from property development but so had Ken Bates that didn't stop Chelsea nearly going bust.

As I said, the car park should prove to a revenue earner and the student accommodation will also help recoup the investment cost but will a hotel swing it? I'd be delighted if the hotel shows 80% + occupancy rates and my apprehension was proved to be alarmist. Like I said, I'm sure there must be examples of hotels that have been successful - I just didn't know of any - but I'm sure people on NSC will

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was a hotel project that nearly killed off Chelsea and a hotel project that delayed Wembley. I'm sure there are examples of hotels built near grounds that have been a financial success but I can't think of any.

Still, the multi-storey carpark should please a lot of people on here - that will surely make money.

Bet the Falmer residents are going bonkers though. Will it be the supermarket next?

Its all down to location.
The hotel at the Mad Stad is pretty busy. Its two minutes off the M4. Ideal location for all points N/S/E/W. Judging from the number of non-BHA fans who have commented on how good the Amex looks from the A27, its in a pretty good spot, for passing trade.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What details? Just expressing a concern that a hotel next to a football ground isn't a licence to print money. I know that Tony Bloom has made a lot of money from property development but so had Ken Bates that didn't stop Chelsea nearly going bust.

As I said, the car park should prove to a revenue earner and the student accommodation will also help recoup the investment cost but will a hotel swing it? I'd be delighted if the hotel shows 80% + occupancy rates and my apprehension was proved to be alarmist. Like I said, I'm sure there must be examples of hotels that have been successful - I just didn't know of any - but I'm sure people on NSC will

I don't have details about what happened at Chelsea, but I'm going to suggest that there is more hotel choice in London than Brighton

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Like I said, I'm sure there must be examples of hotels that have been successful - I just didn't know of any - but I'm sure people on NSC will

and bang on cue...

The Hilton at stadium:MK does well I believe, as does the hotel at the new St George's Park due to relatively close proximity to Alton Towers.

That was the sort of info I was searching for

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dear mr baker

I take it all back. When we interviewed you on the radio, you said that it was the start of a full development on the site, including a hotel etc.

We didn't take your hunch at face value.

Sorry!

This is a really interesting one and they are obviously working on the reading model! I wonder if TB is fully funding. This too?

My only concern is that our focus should still be that we are a football club, not a franchise for lots of other things and oh yes, we play football too. I expect at some time to see a rugby team based at the Amex and a basketball team!

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Dear mr baker

I take it all back. When we interviewed you on the radio, you said that it was the start of a full development on the site, including a hotel etc.

Sorry!

This is a really interesting one and they are obviously working on the reading model! I wonder if TB is fully funding. This too?

My only concern is that our focus should still be that we are a football club, not a franchise for lots of other things and oh yes, we play football too. I expect at some time to see a rugby team based at the Amex and a basketball team!
Like Barcelona?

D

Deleted member 22389

And turn down funds to help them try and retain power, hundreds of construction jobs, huge future ongoing employment, increased tax....50,000 unique ? Amex attendees votes at risk if they try & stand in the way of the juggernaut... King Canute they are not

That's the bottom line, it creates jobs building it, and then jobs running it when complete.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I seem to remember Norman Baker MP being rubbished in this very forum a few years ago for suggesting that the club had a secret plan to build a hotel next to the stadium.

Oops.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Dear mr baker

Sorry!

Ow well, sort of karma for messing with us in the first place! I'm struggling to feel any sympathy here...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I seem to remember Norman Baker MP being rubbished in this very forum a few years ago for suggesting that the club had a secret plan to build a hotel next to the stadium.

Oops.

But we didn't need one then because we only had 6k fans, we're a small provincial club blah blah blah ;)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
MY initial reaction is that the Bridge Car Park development is something that was always in the offing. The club had had negotiations with the council over the site - including relocating the community centre - with a view to future considerations. Student accommodation and more car parking was in the mix regarding use.

I would therefore not be surprised if this gets given approval. One thing is for sure, Martin Perry would have had many conversations with council officers regarding its viability. I'm certain the club wouldn't have put in an application without feeling it wouldn't get through. It's a bit of a waste of £20,000 or so otherwise.

The hotel, while I'd heard whispers of it, was something I don't think the club hadn't seriously considered until the staidum was finished - if at all. I also see the design means it looks wholly inside Brighton & Hove City limits, suggesting to me the Lewes DC don't like it. (I've no evidence for that, mind). It also isn't that much of an increase in the stadium footprint, bearing in mind there was supposed to be a 'bund building' (aka Teletubbies building) behind the East Stand. I'm surprised, however, that they're going for it, and am not convinced it will be a success. I mean - who wants to stay... there?

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
A very good proposal which continues to show how big our club will be in the future.

We are not there now, but the future is looking very good for our club and us fans.

Bring in on.

In respect of demand for hotel beds, the demand in our city is huge all year around.

Be in no doubt the Albion Hotel will be a success.

TB

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm surprised, however, that they're going for it, and am not convinced it will be a success. I mean - who wants to stay... there?

That was my reaction - Even if, people are attending a conference that requires an overnight stay, why on earth would they choose to stay so far out of the city?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Large One, I'd use the hotel for midweek games as a non Sussex seagull. Could park up, check in watch game go back to hotel, have 8hrs kip and check out just in time to join the queue of last cars exiting Bennett's field from the night before.

The hotel is planned for the site where the Albion previously had planning permission for a building to house City College (which never got built, because City College pulled out of the project). And the multi-storey car park / student accommodation site fulfills a commitment by the Council and the Club that the former site of the redundant Falmer High School building would be redeveloped to maximise the financial benefit that the City Council would get from disposing of the site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here