Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NEVER give up on your Pet.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If you pet is in pain and suffering then the best thing for the animal is what is important above all else, it might not be something you want to do but sometimes having an animal put down is the best thing for it. I hope your dog hasn't suffered too much over the last 100 days.

If I thought he was suffering in anyway I would bite the bullet and have him put down but he is not and has a new lease of life.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
not wanting to put a downer on the mass celebration, but a qualified vet told you over three months ago that the dog was suffering and should be put down, and you've pumped him full of drugs and he's dancing a jig? maybe he's in agony and can't tell you. just a thought.

No he is not. He is very happy.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
not wanting to put a downer on the mass celebration, but a qualified vet told you over three months ago that the dog was suffering and should be put down, and you've pumped him full of drugs and he's dancing a jig? maybe he's in agony and can't tell you. just a thought.

It's all about quality of life. If US dog is showing a zest for life even if it means the drugs are important for this to happen then that's a good thing.
If his pet was moping about, not eating and in obvious constant pain then yes, he should be relieved of his misery.
Most responsible and caring dog owners know when the time is right to let them go.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I'm pleased for you US. Most vets these days seem to want to keep aging pets going for as long as possible, that's where the money is. Your vet sounds quite old school.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I appreciate Husty and Afters comments as they were reasonable to post so fair enough. I do know my Dog and I can guarantee he is very happy at the moment. He is 100% better than he was. If I ever thought for a second he was suffering I would have him put down but he is not and infact is on top form.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
rock on Harry
great news and you are right never give up
most of them will let you know when its time

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
rock on Harry
great news and you are right never give up
most of them will let you know when its time

We will know. I already had the plans made. A lethal injection at home with him in my arms, cremated and then scatter his ashes over the downs where we loved to walk and had many happy times together. Not yet.

D

Deleted member 18477

I've got a lot of time for golden retrievers and labs. And also great owners! :clap2:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I appreciate Husty and Afters comments as they were reasonable to post so fair enough. I do know my Dog and I can guarantee he is very happy at the moment. He is 100% better than he was. If I ever thought for a second he was suffering I would have him put down but he is not and infact is on top form.

I'm glad you accept the comments in the spirit meant. I just can't accept that a professional got it badly wrong anddidn't consider harry's well-being. I keep animals and they have a dignity: I read somewhere that animals accept their lot, they don't complain. Put simply, where you think he is happy, maybe he's seeking comfort.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nobody knows a pet better than a responsible owner. Even vets are amazed by animal's resilience at times. Well done US & Harry.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm glad you accept the comments in the spirit meant. I just can't accept that a professional got it badly wrong anddidn't consider harry's well-being. I keep animals and they have a dignity: I read somewhere that animals accept their lot, they don't complain. Put simply, where you think he is happy, maybe he's seeking comfort.

I understand what you say but am 100% sure Harry is fine. He is my life so I would NEVER do anything that caused him any suffering and if I did I would not be able to live with myself but for now he is fine, happy, loving his food, loving his days out and is very happy.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Trust me, you would know.You just would having owned the dog for 14 years. My 2 cats made 18 3/4 and 18 1/4 but when the time was right you know what you have to do. It's absolute unconditional love for them and an honour to do what must be done WHEN the time is right. Don't have them if you can't let them go but ,as I said, you will know. Brought a lump to my throat though nonetheless,lovely story and best wishes U.S.to youy all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Trust me, you would know.You just would having owned the dog for 14 years. My 2 cats made 18 3/4 and 18 1/4 but when the time was right you know what you have to do. It's absolute unconditional love for them and an honour to do what must be done WHEN the time is right. Don't have them if you can't let them go but ,as I said, you will know. Brought a lump to my throat though nonetheless,lovely story and best wishes U.S.to youy all.

Thanks. I will do my best for Harry and will be there for him when the time comes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you read US post, the vet didn't tell him that the dog was suffering. He said the vet had given up on him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I reckon it could made into a film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If you read US post, the vet didn't tell him that the dog was suffering. He said the vet had given up on him.

I don't want anyone to be harsh. Afters made some resonable comments as did Husty. The worst thing is carrying on a life that is not worth living for the owners sake but I can say me and Harry are not at that stage yet. Not by a long way.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

what do you mean "trust me" ? you say that as if i have no idea. I have (and have had) probably more animals than the both of you, and my own experience says you are wrong

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't want anyone to be harsh. Afters made some resonable comments as did Husty. The worst thing is carrying on a life that is not worth living for the owners sake but I can say me and Harry are not at that stage yet. Not by a long way.

I know where you're coming from. I had a tortoirseshell cat that lived to 21. In the end it was my decision when she was put down. My vet send me a card a few days later saying I had made the right decision.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
what do you mean "trust me" ? you say that as if i have no idea. I have (and have had) probably more animals than the both of you, and my own experience says you are wrong

Harry is 100% at the moment. I am sure of that but thanks for the input and I understand what you are saying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here