Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - What's good to watch?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Currently halfway through Leave The World Behind.
Not bad and I’m interested to see how it ends.
In an infuriatingly disappointing fashion.
And It could so easily have been a very good movie.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've just turned off the Ricky Gervais stand up after half hour of painful viewing. He's really gone downhill over the years. Not that he cares, I used to be a fan
He's become ever more Marmite over the years ..plenty still think he's a genius but that number is slowly dwindling now. I never got his " cringe " style of humour so don't bother watching.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The 1980 film?
yep, the bloated, new 'original' film is basically the first 40minutes of 'Battle Beyond the Stars' but with less interesting characters and a LOT more money.

In fairness BBTS was hardly original as it was The Magnificent Seven in space and The Magnificent Seven was Seven Samurai as a western.

Edit: it's not just me that's spotted it. Just looked and there are a few people drawing parallels ...

Last edited:

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
@Pevenseagull. I too watched Rebel Moon and was naming other movies as “inspiration“ as we went along. Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, Star Wars, including the spin offs of The Mandalorian, Bobafet etc. Blade Runner, Harry Potter or Game of Thrones (there is dragon type bit), Star Trek Borg and a bit of “The man in the High Castle”. And a ref to Gladiator. Then there is the robot with a conscience, voiced by Anthony Hopkins. So that’s iRobot referenced. Will be interesting to see how it all ties up in Part 2. Might go and watch BBBTS now.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
@Pevenseagull. I too watched Rebel Moon and was naming other movies as “inspiration“ as we went along. Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, Star Wars, including the spin offs of The Mandalorian, Bobafet etc. Blade Runner, Harry Potter or Game of Thrones (there is dragon type bit), Star Trek Borg and a bit of “The man in the High Castle”. And a ref to Gladiator. Then there is the robot with a conscience, voiced by Anthony Hopkins. So that’s iRobot referenced. Will be interesting to see how it all ties up in Part 2. Might go and watch BBBTS now.

BBTS is cheap cheesy fun lifted by George Peppard playing for laughs and Robert Vaughan even funnier playing it very ernest. ....And Sybil Danning's ridiculous costume. And John Saxon's baddy .... And a belting soundtrack.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
BBTS is cheap cheesy fun lifted by George Peppard playing for laughs and Robert Vaughan even funnier playing it very ernest. ....And Sybil Danning's ridiculous costume. And John Saxon's baddy .... And a belting soundtrack.
Well I managed to find this and it was so bad it was good. You forgot “John Boy Walton“ playing it for laughs as well. Best line for me was “your torque bar has slipped it grove” at the end of the kissing scene. Classic.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I thought Kleo was very watchable. About a Stasi special ops killer who is betrayed and sentenced to life imprisonment.

When the iron curtain comes down, she goes all "Killing Eve" on those who betrayed her. I hope it gets a second series.
I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but - blimey! - what tremendous fun! Killing Eve meets Kill Bill. And, oh, those trackies :love:

2nd series now confirmed for 2024 :thumbsup:

5088.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It's not Netflix but ITVPlayer, I thoroughly recommend " Archie " a drama about Cary Grant and how he made it to the top.... Born in poverty in Bristol he had an awful childhood but somehow rose above it to become one of the greatest male Hollywood film actors of all time. Jason Issacs absolutely excellent in the lead role. He really got the mannerisms and accent bang on. Although he had 5 marriages you feel for him and his highs and lows.
Not watched it yet - but before Xmas I went into (what used to be) the members club in Rottingdean for a few drinks. Interestingly, theres a page up on the wall about Cary Grants love of Rottingdean and that pub in particular...and how he also wanted to buy it. Also believed to have haunted it for a time too, according to local whispers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not watched it yet - but before Xmas I went into (what used to be) the members club in Rottingdean for a few drinks. Interestingly, theres a page up on the wall about Cary Grants love of Rottingdean and that pub in particular...and how he also wanted to buy it. Also believed to have haunted it for a time too, according to local whispers.
Very interesting connection!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bit late to the party with this one, watched the Arnie doc over the break. Did anyone else find it just a tadge boring? Got better in the final episode

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Promised more than it delivered.

I actually preferred How it Ends for apocalypse style films. The start of Leaving the World Behind had me hooked, thought it was going to be a US version of Nevil Shute's book On the Beach, but it just petered out and by the end I though, oh... Oh well.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just finished the latest series of Slow Horses ….so pleased there’s yet another!
I should be on my last free trial day on apple tv but it won't let me log in and doesn't recognise my account info / password. I actually want to pay for the subscription so I can watch more stuff. I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems logging in or it's apple being c***s making it difficult to cancel before the trial ends..

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Operation Anthropoid.
On Prime.
About the assassination of Heydrich in Prague.
Just watched on your recommendation, thanks. Very good and it would appear very historically accurate. Incredibly brave people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here