Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - What's good to watch?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Watched Nobody last night simply because it had Bob Odenkirk in it.

It passed an hour and a half. If you like violent films with lots of ridiculously over the top fight scenes then you'll love it. It's watchable but it could have been done so much better.
I was looking forward to that because I love Bob Odenkirk. Switched off halfway through. At a time when so many people are sticking knives in each other for real, I find it hard to see that as entertainment. It had great reviews though so I suppose it's just me - graphic violence simply isn't my thing.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Finished The Diplomat which is from the writer/producer of The West Wing and Homeland. It is not the same quality as early Homeland I have not watched The West Wing. It's a half decent story with a good twist at the end, but has lots of unnecessary swearing, is rather unrealistic and is overly long (par for the course with Netflix). They could have done a lot more with it, but it passed the time.
Halfway through this and enjoying it. A bit weird having comedy actors playing both the UK PM (Rory Kinnear) and the US President (Michael McKean), but they're only minor characters.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Take Care of Maya.

A disturbing and emotional case which opened up a real can of worms with a hospital and some staff allegedly ignoring symptoms and removing kids as victims of abuse.

Children's healthcare will never be regarded the same again.

Quite worrying, but Netflix do these shows so well.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Game of Secrets. Documentary about the Footy Leaks scandal which I'm being honest completely passed me by. Not that unsurprising I guess as it was mainly focused on Benfica, Real Madrid and a third party owner called Deyan Sports. The chap accused, Rui Pinto, should get the verdict on the 90 charges he is facing this week. Certainly worth a watch just to see about some of the bonkers clauses that go into football players contracts these days.

This could go anywhere. Phil Tufnell and Brendon McCullum playing golf in New Zealand. The intro suggests that they are old pals but they clearly didn't know each other before this series so the first couple of episodes are a bit wooden. However as the season goes on they obviously form a decent bond and that becomes apparent. I would say you don't have to be into golf to enjoy it as the golfing content is only a small amount. It's worth watch for some of the breathtaking NZ scenery alone.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wolf Alice: On The Road has two of my favourite things, Wolf Alice and Michael Winterbottom. It's from 2016, when Wolf Alice were just very hard-working indie hopefuls who had to be buzzed in on the intercom to gain entry to the hallowed portals of Radio Norfolk. IMHO captures the sheer mainly deeply empty drudgery of being a band and entourage on, er, tour

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Watched Nobody last night simply because it had Bob Odenkirk in it.

Speaking of Bob Odenkirk, I was in a restaurant in Berwyn, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago) a few weeks back and there was a signed picture on the wall which indicated that the restaurant owner was a classmate of Bob Odenkirk and that Odenkirk was born and raised in Berwyn. When you know that about Odenkirk you realize why he fit the character of Saul on "Better Call Saul" so well.

Berwyn is next to Cicero, the suburb that Al Capone practically owned single handedly back in mobster days.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Watched this last night:

It's only 40 mins long but it's a really nice heartwarming story. The Asian American lad suffers from severe asperger's and has a mental age of around 7 or 8. Despite this he is the best Rubiks cuber in the world. He is still star struck by another cuber who has dominated for years even now he is now his rival. Thankfully said other lad (an Aussie) appears to be a really nice lad and has taken him under his wing.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Not sure if it's Netflix as Captain Pugwash my go to for everything, sorry if been mentioned already, but this Argentinian comedy dramas is brilliant...11 half hour episodes paced to perfection...the crack cocaine (or in my case Pringles) of binging series, you can't stop once you start....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Lost Girls.

A true and disturbing story of an ongoing serial killer at large in the NY area from 2010.

A man has recently been charged with murdering three women in this sad tale.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Quarterback - very good insight into the life of an nfl quarterback as if follow Mahomes, Mariota and Cousins over the course of last season. Has to be one of if not the most brutal role in sport.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I am loving LOVE.

US comedy by judd apatow. Very funny, slightly wry. Engaging cast. Odd couple sit com Recommended.

In a similar style, FLAKED is very enjoyable. Will Arnett (of Bojack fame) stars. Recovering alcoholic trying not to be a shit.

Both very bingable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just cracked open Black Mirror S6. 'Joan Is Awful' has generated an awful buzz, but 'Loch Henry' IMHO is way smarter and downright more low-budget-looking impressive. A powerful story, powerfully told

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just cracked open Black Mirror S6. 'Joan Is Awful' has generated an awful buzz, but 'Loch Henry' IMHO is way smarter and downright more low-budget-looking impressive. A powerful story, powerfully told
Oh - you've just reminded me that I haven't watched all of these. I watched Joan Is Awful but then read it's better to watch the series in reverse, as that's in chronological order and there are some easter eggs which carry through.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm behind on Black Mirror.

I would love it if Brooker would collaborate with the No 9 guys.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We've been working our way through 8 seasons of House MD, with Hugh Laurie, thoroughly enjoying our second time around.

Sat down earlier to watch the finale - episode 177 of 177. Only to find it's no longer included in the free stuff! :mad:

Happily coughed up £2.99 to "buy" the episode, but obviously can't recommend it now, though!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Just watched the deepest breath, excellent documentary on free diving, if you like it check out the big blue, one of my favourite films

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here