Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay's post-match red card

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Murray would have scored many more - with the chances that Maupay has been presented with...

Yes but how would Murray have got from the half way line, when the move started, to a tap in position in the box, within the timeframe of the attacking move? Or are you also factoring in a rule change (no offsides)?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bowen's fee is rumoured to be £25m inc add ons, and Murray would just not fit in with the way Potter has us playing.

As my facetious comment above was intended to suggest. :thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wonder why he was only playing in the third tier at Maupay’s age then. Lots of history being re written about Murray (who I loved from the day he arrived here), he struggled big time in his first season at Palace in the Championship too.

Maupay is out of form and confidence but runs himself into the ground. No excuses for being sent off but Moss had a fecking dreadful game and gave us nothing. I remember the outrage at early Dunk sending offs and reading the same sort of shit on here at the time about how we should get shot of him.

Interesting this isn't it.

It makes me think we've got our striker recruitment strategy all wrong.

So I think that there's a strong argument to say that a PL striker won't peak until about 27 and will start to tail off around 31. (Muzza, Ings Vardy etc)

So should we bothering with the academy? Unless we unearth a Rashford or one of the very few who can score goals at a young age, wouldn't we be better off plucking 28 year olds from the Championship every couple of years.

For positions which are more instinctive, wingers, CM's, use the academy, but with strikers. They need time to learn their trade. Connolly could be 6 years away from peaking. He can't stay on loan or on the bench all that time

SAC

May 21, 2014
He was an ill-dispaplined **** to get himself sent off. Lots of players feel that they are fouled and get little protection from the ref but you can't mouth off like he did.

£20 million for a player who scored 10 goals (1 pen?) last season was good value for money. This season 8 goals (3 pens) isn't great although not so bad he should be written off. Yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bowen's fee is rumoured to be £25m inc add ons, and Murray would just not fit in with the way Potter has us playing.

OK - and Bowen has scored the same amount as Maupay this season, in a team challenging for the Top 6.

With the possible exception of Mitrovic, I would have all of those ahead of Maupay

But stats don't show that, so it is all hypothetical. None of them are much better than 8-10 goals per season which is where Neal sits.

I am not defending Neal here, but I am saying the club need to stop gambling and back Potter and go the next step up for a striker - as £20M strikers a rarely prolific in the PL as history shows. Accept we can make value elsewhere in midfield and defenders, but it looks like Striker is the only position where that is very difficult

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
He was an ill-dispaplined **** to get himself sent off. Lots of players feel that they are fouled and get little protection from the ref but you can't mouth off like he did.

£20 million for a player who scored 10 goals (1 pen?) last season was good value for money. This season 8 goals (3 pens) isn't great although not so bad he should be written off. Yet.

To be honest if we could get our money back on him c.£20m i would take that and look elsewhere, he simply isnt clinical enough and also lacks real pace which doesnt help either

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
For all those suggesting Maupay is some kind of "out of control hot-head, unable to control his emotions.. he is on 1 yellow card according to the Premier League Official stats! Same as Ali Mac! Less than that destroyer, Pascal Gross and that younger hot-head, Tariq Lamptey!
..and yet he does play with emotion, passion, niggles defenders etc etc.. the willingness to simply pigeon-hole someone, compare ti Knocky specifcally because of 1 incident, is remarkable. He is struggling for confidence finishing wise, but his contribution beyond that alone is significant enough to warrant a lot more time, coaching and investment.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Still £20m with add-ons according to Sky.....
And as per our previous discussion a few months ago, I think 9 goals per season is not great for a striker.
Our recruitment with forwards have been a failure since we made the PL - IMO.

It was £16m according to BBC Sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48975141
and The Sun https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot.../brighton-confirm-20million-maupay-brentford/, Naylor etc.
Welbeck - a failure ? 5 goals (and points secured v Villa, Leeds, Sheff Utd, and Newcastle)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not the first player to get a red for giving the ref abuse, he won't be the last. Kept his mouth shut till the end of the game, which shows a level of restraint, and hasn't really cost the team, unlike Dunks red. He will get hit in the pocket, and we get to see a different arrangement up front, I don't see why people are so upset with him?

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Not the first player to get a red for giving the ref abuse, he won't be the last. Kept his mouth shut till the end of the game, which shows a level of restraint, and hasn't really cost the team, unlike Dunks red. He will get hit in the pocket, and we get to see a different arrangement up front, I don't see why people are so upset with him?

Shows some passion and fire in his belly, which we knew was there anyway. I like the aggression in his game.
It would have been nice to have him available for the next couple of games but we're safe so not a big loss. Give AC or Zeqiri a run out.
I would have called the ref plenty of names.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For all those suggesting Maupay is some kind of "out of control hot-head, unable to control his emotions.. he is on 1 yellow card according to the Premier League Official stats! Same as Ali Mac! Less than that destroyer, Pascal Gross and that younger hot-head, Tariq Lamptey!
..and yet he does play with emotion, passion, niggles defenders etc etc.. the willingness to simply pigeon-hole someone, compare ti Knocky specifcally because of 1 incident, is remarkable. He is struggling for confidence finishing wise, but his contribution beyond that alone is significant enough to warrant a lot more time, coaching and investment.

He hasn't any confidence inside the box, every effort is either snatched at or is lost through an extra touch. This forces him to come deep to receive the ball, where he feels more comfortable, where there is less pressure and he can pass the ball out wide. A lot of players do this, either when they are not seeing much of the ball or are struggling to hit the back of the net.
All the work with Maupay has to be in and around the box. Learning to run the channels better. Better first touch. Better percentage play. Shooting. Lots of it.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
He hasn't any confidence inside the box, every effort is either snatched at or is lost through an extra touch. This forces him to come deep to receive the ball, where he feels more comfortable, where there is less pressure and he can pass the ball out wide. A lot of players do this, either when they are not seeing much of the ball or are struggling to hit the back of the net.
All the work with Maupay has to be in and around the box. Learning to run the channels better. Better first touch. Better percentage play. Shooting. Lots of it.

I think we are agreeing - investment and coaching will help as it will for any young player. Not sure that I agree that his movement is simply about confidence - his link play and movement has been instrumental in many of our best attacking moments. Kane does this now of course too, albeit the Spurs side is a bit of a basket-case..

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I am not defending Neal here, but I am saying the club need to stop gambling and back Potter and go the next step up for a striker - as £20M strikers a rarely prolific in the PL as history shows

What are you suggesting, £30-£40M? When did one of those join a team that had been fighting relegation for its entire PL history? If a striker is worth that they'll go where they think they can win something I suspect

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
you forgot that he's too small and can't head a ball, doesn't seem to have much of a shot on him either.

One of my best moments watching Albion recently was being in the away end watching him secure that win v Arsenal with a superb glancing header.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What are you suggesting, £30-£40M? When did one of those join a team that had been fighting relegation for its entire PL history? If a striker is worth that they'll go where they think they can win something I suspect

Not sure really - but I was just saying Neal Maupay is performing as well as his price tag suggests, and in similar form of other £20M~ strikers, some of which are even at Top 6 clubs and have scored as many as him....

So everyone clamoring for a better striker probably needs to aim it at the board to spend more, not that a footballer that is probably doing the best he can and is about right value for money

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was £16m according to BBC Sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48975141
and The Sun https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot.../brighton-confirm-20million-maupay-brentford/, Naylor etc.
Welbeck - a failure ? 5 goals (and points secured v Villa, Leeds, Sheff Utd, and Newcastle)

Less expectation fee wise with Welbeck I would suggest.....

Fee wise could have been plus add-ons, the truth is none of us know. Sky stated around £20m as I say...... I doubt if it would be £16m full stop, but I don’t know either.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Less expectation fee wise with Welbeck I would suggest.....
Fee wise could have been plus add-ons, the truth is none of us know. Sky stated around £20m as I say...... I doubt if it would be £16m full stop, but I don’t know either.

Well the BBC, The Athletic and The Sun must clearly have reporters that don't know either.
You said our recruitment of strikers has been a failure - Locadia obviously - but the goals from Murray, Maupay, Welbeck have kept us in the premier league for 4 seasons and almost certainly 5. Is that a failure. ?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure really - but I was just saying Neal Maupay is performing as well as his price tag suggests, and in similar form of other £20M~ strikers, some of which are even at Top 6 clubs and have scored as many as him....

So everyone clamoring for a better striker probably needs to aim it at the board to spend more, not that a footballer that is probably doing the best he can and is about right value for money

Perhaps. I tend to liken it to a lucky dip. We're forced into the c£20M market for Championship/Dutch/Belgian/and a host of other strikers. Most don't really turn out but some do. Ulloa would fit that category (even though Championship)

Toney and Eze might push £30M but I'm not sure what more you get than a more expensive Maupay/Brewster/Mitrovic. Callum Wilson however is a proven quality £20M striker. I know his wages are higher but B'muff still agreed the £20M

As I said in another post I think the price is pushed up more by the bidding between buying clubs and resoluteness of the selling club than it is the actual value of the player.

In saying all that I agree we need to find someone better than or to supplement Maupay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here