Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay's post-match red card

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder why he was only playing in the third tier at Maupay’s age then. Lots of history being re written about Murray (who I loved from the day he arrived here), he struggled big time in his first season at Palace in the Championship too.

Maupay is out of form and confidence but runs himself into the ground. No excuses for being sent off but Moss had a fecking dreadful game and gave us nothing. I remember the outrage at early Dunk sending offs and reading the same sort of shit on here at the time about how we should get shot of him.

My dog runs itself into the ground.

Like both CMS and Maupay, its crap at scoring goals for Brighton!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think anyone is doubting that his output this season has been disappointing but for £16m, 18 goals in two seasons is a solid return.

Still £20m with add-ons according to Sky.....

And as per our previous discussion a few months ago, I think 9 goals per season is not great for a striker.

Our recruitment with forwards have been a failure since we made the PL - IMO.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Like many conflicts we see in life, at all levels, they stem from a genuine grievance. It is the protester who gets blamed .
It was clear to see that Maupay was getting kicked off the park, and that ref gave him nothing. What did he say? We don't know but it evidently hurt his feelings!
In this game today it seems that is cause for a red card even though Wolves fouls did not.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Perhaps - but not based on goals scored which is all anyone really cares about for strikers

Well not according to many on here, who go on at length about Maupay's workrate. Murray was a much better all round player. His hold up play was excellent. Strong, with his back to goal and clever at winning free kicks. He was more composed in front of goal and played in a Brighton side creating far fewer chances. He was tremendous back in his own penalty area, giving strong defensive cover in the air. Opposition fans used to talk about Murray. He worried them ( like Zamora ) Don't think there are many fans out there shaking in their boots at the thought of facing Neal Maupay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Like many conflicts we see in life, at all levels, they stem from a genuine grievance. It is the protester who gets blamed .
It was clear to see that Maupay was getting kicked off the park, and that ref gave him nothing. What did he say? We don't know but it evidently hurt his feelings!
In this game today it seems that is cause for a red card even though Wolves fouls did not.

Tanno, got a red card at Southampton, for calling the ref a f***** cheat. It doesn’t take much for a ref to decide swearing is foul and abusive.

*Tanno was right, because the foul was a yard outside the penalty area.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
You can say that for every striker in the PL though, no ?

Whatever people think - Neal is one of our best and consistent goal scorers since promotion and his record is at least good as the messiah Glenn Murray.

Now whether we could have got a better striker for £20M 2 years ago is another debate, but really for what we paid and the return we have had is about par. Compared to Jarrod Bowen, Josh King, Glenn Murray, Mitrovitch - Neal Maupay is about par for the course.

The next level is £30M-£40M player - and wages to match

With the possible exception of Mitrovic, I would have all of those ahead of Maupay

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Tanno, got a red card at Southampton, for calling the ref a f***** cheat. It doesn’t take much for a ref to decide swearing is foul and abusive.

*Tanno was right, because the foul was a yard outside the penalty area.

but did he get a card for the F word or calling him a cheat? Which is worse to a ref :shrug:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
It wouldnt be so bad but it's the amount of chances he misses that makes it worse - we're creating but he's not putting them away - similar to what Glenn Hoddle said about Andy Cole not being picked for England - he needs 10 chances to score 1 - Maupay the same im afraid in the Prem

Missed sitters has got to be double figures right.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It’s basically a rehash of a Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote. :D

Rather than a re-hash, it’s actually a direct quote (albeit without the “French” spellings to bring out the accent).

Lancelot: What a strange person.
A: (getting mad) Now look here, my good ma--
S: Ah don' wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough
wiper! Ah fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, and
your father smelt of elderberries!
Galahad: Is there someone else up there we can talk to?
S: No!! Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I think the frustration of his current form finally boiled over and simply lost the plot , he did seem to be invisible to the referee and he had at least 3 fouls on him missed by Mr Moss .

Reading between the lines I think this will actually do him no harm , I think he's trying to hard if that's possible and over thinking what should be coming natural to him .

I think we may see Zeqiri step in and it will be interesting to see how he does in Maupays absence.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Biss is lucky not to get a yellow as well. If you look at the footage, he claps the ref a couple of times for sending
Maupay off sarcastically it would seem. At least the incompetent tool Moss missed that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the frustration of his current form finally boiled over and simply lost the plot , he did seem to be invisible to the referee and he had at least 3 fouls on him missed by Mr Moss .

Reading between the lines I think this will actually do him no harm , I think he's trying to hard if that's possible and over thinking what should be coming natural to him .

I think we may see Zeqiri step in and it will be interesting to see how he does in Maupays absence.

He can't do any worse.

He's actually looked pretty good, harries, can shoot and has a head, in both respects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here