Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Mopes put a shift in today and did everything you'd hope he'd do apart from the most valuable aspects, not fluffing his lines in front of goal. I'm still a fan.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I love his edginess, energy and running off the ball, but his finishing is often so disappointing. I was gobsmacked at the misses yesterday and am even more disappointed this morning having seen the "highlights" on MOTD. I know it's stating the obvious, but he desperately needs a goal. Allez Neal!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I love his edginess, energy and running off the ball, but his finishing is often so disappointing. I was gobsmacked at the misses yesterday and am even more disappointed this morning having seen the "highlights" on MOTD. I know it's stating the obvious, but he desperately needs a goal. Allez Neal!

He always needs a goal though, he is a very stormy ocean that seems to gain or lose confidence very quickly. In the PL that is not particularly good because very, very few players are going to score often & consistently over a season.

This is the make or break season for Maupay. I love him, but this season he needs to score somewhere around his expected number of goals, or he will be replaced by someone else up front before the next season starts.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He always needs a goal though, he is a very stormy ocean that seems to gain or lose confidence very quickly. In the PL that is not particularly good because very, very few players are going to score often & consistently over a season.

This is the make or break season for Maupay. I love him, but this season he needs to score somewhere around his expected number of goals, or he will be replaced by someone else up front before the next season starts.

My hope is that if we could find a better striker than him then the pressure would be off him and he would then stop these crashes in confidence.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My hope is that if we could find a better striker than him then the pressure would be off him and he would then stop these crashes in confidence.

Maybe. Cant bench him for someone else though - its like putting a pitbull terrier in a cat box. He is either a starter or better off elsewhere.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I still rate Maupay. Just a confidence thing. We all probably know what that feels like.

Time is all it needs. I'd start Maupay on Wed 100%.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He would be the first to admit he should have scored yesterday but we need someone in addition to Maupay not instead of him.

Even with the missed chances he is still one of our best chances of scoring at the moment and we create more when he plays

This season Maupays numbers stack up against some of the better strikers in the division as well which is easily forgotten by some

f2a8bf10de49d0970289153ef4ca3efa.jpg

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He is the best we have but to not get either of his chance on target was unbelievable. Has anybody got a clip when he missed the chance in 2nd half that would have been disallowed. That really did seem easier to score than miss.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Or we could go with Duffy upfront to give us some physical presence. It worked for Virgo.

In all seriousness I would like to see us give Ferguson or Tolaj a chance - what have we got to lose? We're not scoring now so why not give them a chance.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He is the best we have but to not get either of his chance on target was unbelievable. Has anybody got a clip when he missed the chance in 2nd half that would have been disallowed. That really did seem easier to score than miss.

The ref blew his whistle but it was clearly a dive. If he had scored I think it would have been given by VAR. It was another terrible miss.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nowt wrong with Maupay, we just need more than him as an option :shrug:

It’s the Brighton way, we always have just one decent striker, although we do have Welbeck but he cannot be relied upon.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The problem is we are looking for Neal to be our main marksman which is beyond him.
He lacks the expectational speed, skill and coordination to be a prolific striker at this level.
He could be very handy as a workhorse pest though, alongside a poacher.
If the pressure was more evenly shared I think he’d be a different person and a lot more effective.

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The problem is we are looking for Neal to be our main marksman which is beyond him.
He lacks the expectational speed, skill and coordination to be a prolific striker at this level.
He could be very handy as a workhorse pest though, alongside a poacher.
If the pressure was more evenly shared I think he’d be a different and a lot more effective.
I've always thought Maupay and Welbeck are a decent partnership, but Maupay cannot play as a solo striker in this team. His goal record when playing on his own is not that great.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Apart from when we had Murray, Wood and Barnes.

Murray, Hemed and Baldock did very well the season we got promoted too. All in double figures for the season.

Zamora and Steele were a decent partnership too. Byrne and Small, Nelson and Bremner, Wardy and Mellor. It's only since promotion we've only been able to call on one mildly competent striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Apart from when we had Murray, Wood and Barnes.

I was not looking for a history lesson :wink:

I should have clarified…since we’ve been in the PL. We wouldn’t have got out of League 1 or the Championship with 1 decent striker, an injury prone one and not up to scratch others :smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Murray, Hemed and Baldock did very well the season we got promoted too. All in double figures for the season.

Zamora and Steele were a decent partnership too. Byrne and Small, Nelson and Bremner, Wardy and Mellor. It's only since promotion we've only been able to call on one mildly competent striker.
That was a long time ago now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here