Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was a decision based in part on Potter not wanting to start him any more. But a couple of games later he's gone and RDZ might have used him differently, could even have been the spark that Maupay needed. We'll never know but there's always that 'what if' when a player is transferred right before a manager change
RDZ has used pretty much the same starters & subs that GP did... struggle to see how Neal would have been a starter for RDZ.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was a decision based in part on Potter not wanting to start him any more. But a couple of games later he's gone and RDZ might have used him differently, could even have been the spark that Maupay needed. We'll never know but there's always that 'what if' when a player is transferred right before a manager change
My point - and I appreciate it's early days - was that the club seems to be doing OK since he left. Plus he's not exactly blazing a trail for the Toffees...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Theres that nagging feeling, could he have come on against Spurs or Forest and made a difference? 🤷‍♂️

It’ll pass, pubs open in just over an hour. 😂
Could he have come on? Maybe.
Would be have made a difference? Probably not. If they were still playing Forest now, the score would still be 0-0 🤣

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
RDZ has used pretty much the same starters & subs that GP did... struggle to see how Neal would have been a starter for RDZ.
Well, very sensible, don't change a winning team, but there are subtle changes.... Mitoma starting... Enciso got some minutes.... early days
My point - and I appreciate it's early days - was that the club seems to be doing OK since he left. Plus he's not exactly blazing a trail for the Toffees...
Both things true.

I guess I always believed and I still believe that it will all click for Maupay one day and he has 20 goal seasons in him. When, where, and indeed if, that happens are very much up in the air

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, very sensible, don't change a winning team, but there are subtle changes.... Mitoma starting... Enciso got some minutes.... early days

Both things true.

I guess I always believed and I still believe that it will all click for Maupay one day and he has 20 goal seasons in him. When, where, and indeed if, that happens are very much up in the air
Mitoma starting would have been the case sooner or later regardless (just a matter on when Welbeck would miss a game).

I don't think Maupay is technically speaking a good enough footballer for RDZ (or GP). He has built his career around being the most hard working striker in the business, and that is great when you're a bottom half team trying to get enough points to stay up, but in a team that is actually evolving... he'd be left behind.

If he wants to stick around in the PL as a decent striker, he can probably do that but he'll never score 20 goals in that case. If he moves somewhere like Italy he could probably have more success.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hill?
We put a rubbish bin full of piss on top of the part open door so that when he opened it he got showered…… happy days. Worth a caning of Tabby, the deputy head
Yes, Hill. My old pal BRO got into a good argument with him about the existence of god. "Where is he? I can't see him". Hill threw chalk. I seem to recall BRO having a similar argument with a physics teacher about the existence of electrons, using the same reasoning. He manages tax returns now. They definitely bloody exist :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Getting absolute pelters from the Everton fans on social media.
Is DCL getting pelters to ? That miss of his was a shocker and Maupay ‘esque’ but of course DCL is a blue ..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Doing what? Sitting on the bench and being ineffectual when he came on? All the time getting more and more annoyed at not playing before, ultimately, causing the club to miss out on money when he moved on for nothing at the end of his contract?

I loved NM when he was here, but I'd call his transfer a shrewd gamble - if there even is such a thing - by TB and co that looks like it has paid off 👍🏼
Agreed. It's a little like selling Knockaert to Fulham for c£15m which now looks much, much better than shrewd.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Both things true.

Well, I can tell you where Maupay won't be getting 20 goals a season, and that's in the PL. I doubt he'd manage it if he started every game for City. That's not to say I don't like him, or value his contribution. Merely that he's not a great goalscorer, and you have to be that to score 20 goals in a PL season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A reminder that he declared himself available for Argentina earlier this year.

(And asked Macca to put in a word for him)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My mate is an Everton fan and honestly can’t believe he is a premier league footballer. Let alone one they paid £15m for. He is a STH at Goodison and sees every game home and away. Reckons he is just about the worst striker in their Premier League history. He reckons the (infamously dogshit) Joe Max Moore or Cenk Tosun were twice the player he is.

Sounds a bit hyperbolic, but in truth he has been absolutely dreadful in the minutes I’ve watched him play for Everton. He just looks so painfully slow suddenly.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
completely the wrong kind of player for Everton. they need someone to make it stick on the few occasions they do get the ball upfield. that isn't neal. they also don't create loads, so need someone who is clinical, again that's not him. we all know what his qualities are,but he's not suited to playing in such a terrible team.

all their underlying numbers are very poor, lampard will be gone soon if they have any sense

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He could barely hit a barn door when we had him, so he won't have improved suddenly at the scousers poor relatives

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Getting another online shoeing.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/neal-maupay.116014/page-86

But he’s not a fall guy, they seem to slag off everyone.
"He is so so much worse. When you’re a Premier league striker who gets put through on goal with half the pitch in front of them ….and his next touch is a tackle"

This is classic Neal. Give him space and time to think about things and he falls to pieces. Give him an instinctive moment and he'll bury it.

Well, he would have with us.

Seems to me to be a theme developing here. Biss not good enough at Spurs. Cucurella at Chelsea struggling, and they're rumoured to be looking at another left sided defender. And Maups.

Maybe we're just good at finding footballers who can fit into a team pattern and understand their job? :shrug:

I now await Man U buying Mac Allister for £200 million and Red Cafe immediately declaring him unable to stand upright unaided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here