Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I never like to dig players out and very rarely do and have been a big Maupay supporter despite his recent performances but very poor today, I never had any confidence that he was putting that penalty away. Should be Trossard on pens all day long for me..

However I can cope with his performance on the pitch today, it’s what I expected and it’s what he duly delivered..

What I’m really struggling to accept is his complete refusal to acknowledge the crowd after he was subbed. The fact that he got a standing ovation from the North Stand and the crowd singing his name completely baffled me because he was woeful but if I was him I wouldn’t have believed my luck, having done nothing to earn that type of reception… the fact that he didn’t look up or make any acknowledgment was very poor and not a good reflection on him at all!

I’m actually beyond the point that I’m pissed off with it all anymore just cannot wait for this season to end..

Like a few of his previous bad games for us, Maupay struggled partly because he was trying too hard. Nobody in the squad cares more and more visibly than him. Having known he'd struggled yesterday, he was as gutted as we were. It wouldn't have entered his mind to take any applause as he would have been mentally beating himself for not deserving it. All strikers have bad days and most have bad runs. Despite some of the stupid fan overreactions to the bad times he's had in the past, he will always dust himself down and come back with his chin out. You can certainly criticise his consistency and his composure in front of goal, but I'd never question his attitude.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
[tweet]1510654923263860746[/tweet]

We were talking about this when Krul was giving Maupay all the chat before the pen.

Personally I’d have someone hold the ball and take whatever ‘sportsmanship’ the keeper wanted to give him until he was back on his line and then give the ball to the player who was taking the pen

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Like a few of his previous bad games for us, Maupay struggled partly because he was trying too hard. Nobody in the squad cares more and more visibly than him. Having known he'd struggled yesterday, he was as gutted as we were. It wouldn't have entered his mind to take any applause as he would have been mentally beating himself for not deserving it. All strikers have bad days and most have bad runs. Despite some of the stupid fan overreactions to the bad times he's had in the past, he will always dust himself down and come back with his chin out. You can certainly criticise his consistency and his composure in front of goal, but I'd never question his attitude.

This. He’ll score next weekend.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Works hard, gets in good positions.

His left foot is worse than any striker I have seen.

Only scores when doesn’t have to think.

Good bench player for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"Fans assuming that purchasing a ticket entitles them to shout whatever they want at whoever they want – behaviour that also infects what passes for contemporary public discourse – is one of the worst things about football. There were not many bright spots at the Amex – Norwich look as doomed as they’ve always done, Brighton were as profligate as they always are – but the response to Neal Maupay’s substitution was one. Maupay departed the pitch having missed three good chances and a penalty, so the home fans – who’ve not seen a goal, never mind a win, since the middle of January – might have sent him off with some choice invective. But instead they consoled their player with the ovation he needed to hear, a nice moment on an otherwise miserable afternoon."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ue-10-talking-points-from-the-weekends-action

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Works hard, gets in good positions.

His left foot is worse than any striker I have seen.

Only scores when doesn’t have to think.

Good bench player for next season.

He would be in theory but he really doesnt strike me as someone who would accept sitting on the bench for a prolonged time.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
He needs help from a proper striker up front or some real competition if we are only going one up top. Also, shouldn't be anywhere near penalties and I can't believe of the 11 players on the pitch, he, with his penalty scoring rate, was the chosen one. Baffling.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think he was virtually off before the singing got going.

Whatever! Can’t get too excited about a player clapping or not clapping the crowd, anyway…..

Nowhere near, it commenced before he’d even reached the goal.

Not that I care particularly, it’s nice if a player acknowledges, if they don’t so what? As [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] posted same thing happened with Murray, things seemed to work out quite well with him…

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I thought Maupay played really well against Norwich. Obviously the missed penalty is a frustration, but outside of that I thought he worked incredibly hard in a system that makes it really tough to score goals. I’d score him a solid 8/10 despite the missed pen.

If anyone in our attacking 3 was a bit anonymous against Norwich, I thought it was Welbeck, who looked rusty to me, and I was really surprised when it was Maupay that went off and not Danny.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I thought Maupay played really well against Norwich. Obviously the missed penalty is a frustration, but outside of that I thought he worked incredibly hard in a system that makes it really tough to score goals. I’d score him a solid 8/10 despite the missed pen.

If anyone in our attacking 3 was a bit anonymous against Norwich, I thought it was Welbeck, who looked rusty to me, and I was really surprised when it was Maupay that went off and not Danny.
Missed pen aside, he missed a fairly simple chance before that when he mis kicked. Also a poor finish into the side netting in the 2nd half.

I see what you're getting at, he did well linking the play, but his primary job is scoring goals and he should have had 2 on Saturday. Therefore an absolute max of 5/10 for me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I'm surprised this has not got it's own thread, given the direct correlation between his being dropped and our change in form. Don't get me wrong, I really like Maupay, and I think he is a serviceable striker, but it's impossible to ignore that we have just got six points away to 2 top 4 teams only after Potter has made the unusual decision to drop our main forward. Is this is a coincidence? Is the striker problem solved simply by playing midfielders in these positions, who appear perfectly able to fill in?

Related, those who listened to Warren and JC yesterday will have noticed that Warren was apoplectic at the final whistle with Maupay's behaviour, leaving the field and not celebrating with his teammates. Maupay's temperament has always - in my view - seemed to be one of his strengths - he comes across as an unusually intelligent player (if a bit of a wind up merchant). If he's upsetting the apple cart, would the 'no dick heads' rule be enforced and should we halve our recognised strike force?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am expecting a transfer request from Monsieur Maupay before the start of next season.

C’est la vie :wave:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

Seems a wild jump to me - we only won yesterday due to some brilliance in the 90th minute, the same kind of thing Maupay was doing numerous times earlier this season to bail the team out. He’s also not played against the bigger team before (Liverpool, Man City) off the top of my head so is tactical.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I wonder where his head was at after the penalty miss. A famously ‘confidence’ player, GP may have pulled him out of the firing line. I do think though that it makes a difference when we have players who can run in behind up front, and that isn’t Neal’s game.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm surprised this has not got it's own thread, given the direct correlation between his being dropped and our change in form. Don't get me wrong, I really like Maupay, and I think he is a serviceable striker, but it's impossible to ignore that we have just got six points away to 2 top 4 teams only after Potter has made the unusual decision to drop our main forward. Is this is a coincidence? Is the striker problem solved simply by playing midfielders in these positions, who appear perfectly able to fill in?

Related, those who listened to Warren and JC yesterday will have noticed that Warren was apoplectic at the final whistle with Maupay's behaviour, leaving the field and not celebrating with his teammates. Maupay's temperament has always - in my view - seemed to be one of his strengths - he comes across as an unusually intelligent player (if a bit of a wind up merchant). If he's upsetting the apple cart, would the 'no dick heads' rule be enforced and should we halve our recognised strike force?

What is the “no dickheads” policy ? Is it an actual thing ? Or a NSC made up thing ? Genuine question.

As for Maupay - we’ve played a different style over the past couple of games and it’s come off. It’s a bit like when we had cucu and Lamptey bombing down the wings early season. It catches teams out for a time, and then usually others work it out.
At that point we will likely need Maupay. If he’s fired up by being dropped, then good. The lack of competition for places up front has been terrible for us.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Agreed. The same sort of reaction as to his inability to acknowledge North Stand chanting his name when substituted. He is undoubtedly intelligent, witnessed by his honesty in judging his own performances publicly at times, but this leads,I suspect, to a degree of introspection, making demands of himself that he cannot meet, and consequent frustration. In turn, this leads to poor decision-making on field and a lack of coolness in front of goal.

He does the spectacular (eg WHU,Southampton) but fails with the straightforward (eg Leeds, Spurs in cup).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Dropped / rested him end of October too for Liverpool away, Newcastle at home, Villa away after he’d missed some really presentable chances home to Arsenal and away to Norwich. He came back for the Leeds at home 0-0.

We could also look at Welbeck playing a big role in the Arsenal win, then being dropped v Spurs. What you can’t argue with is Potter doesn’t rest on just thinking ‘results will come’ if performances are okay.

I can’t help thinking he missed the pen and chances v Norwich and left the field dejected. We then win 2 massive games without him and perhaps rather than a strop on his part, it’s a feeling of even more dejection that we did this without him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where I'm at with Maupay now is similar to what happened with Knockaert. They were both emotional players, much loved, scored some wonderful, instinctive goals but just didn't do it consistently enough in the Prem.

He is also one of those players who will not be comfortable on the bench weèk in, wèek out.

The question is whether Potter thinks he can improve to reach the next level, or whether we cash in now and try and get an upgrade. I think Potter likes Welbeck because he has a physical presence and can drag defenders out of position, allowing space for other players. He can also score with his head.

This sort of striker makes more sense if Potter wants to play the midfield trio of Biss, Mwepu and Caicedo, and try and shoehorn Gross and Mac in there too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

I think Warren went OTT on the wireless yesterday, embarrassingly so. I think it was totally out of order for Warren to have such an hysterical fit about Neal, he was meant to be describing our victory and the joyous fans in the stadium, instead he had some sort of pathetic meltdown.

So why did Warren lose the plot?

Neal was sulking again because he’d not played a part in the win.

Does Neal care about not getting picked?

Yes - probably more than any other player. Whilst he had a typical French reaction, he does love our club and wants to play every minute. The other players weren’t bothered that he headed straight down the tunnel, they have probably seen this before and must have had a laugh about it with him afterwards when Neal’s strop had ceased.

We mashed Spuds by playing a false 9 and then popping Welbeck on when the tatties were tired. This made a difference. Neal might well get his chance against Citeh in the same role and I hope he does because he cares about the team more than most, he just has a funny way of showing it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here