Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The main reason we had that run is not because we scored more, but because we let fewer in. A goal a game is fine if you concede less. Last night was a good example - we could have prevented both goals, we would have won, and we'd all be happy.

Agreed, but that’s not the point I was responding to........

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The main reason we had that run is not because we scored more, but because we let fewer in. A goal a game is fine if you concede less. Last night was a good example - we could have prevented both goals, we would have won, and we'd all be happy.

Come on here with your concise factually accurate posts!

You should know better by now. :laugh:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Without using google I thought he was back at Leicester, maybe even coaching the ladies, definitely he's widened out a bit! I always liked him for England but erm, he didn't score enough....

edit - checked, yes he's coaching Leicester's ladies team in the art of not scoring.
Heskey scored 22 in 56 games in his first full season at Liverpool. That's pretty amazing when you're playing alongside Michael Owen and/or Robbie Fowler. I can't imagine what his total goals plus assists must have been. In other seasons he was a 1 goal in 4 matches scorer, then closer to 1 in 5 in his twilight years. But Neal Maupay is NOT and never will be like Heskey. Maupay'actual goals and actual assists are both well below his xG and xA. You can argue that his xA is influenced by the recipients missing good chances but the xG is down to him. He is not good enough to play as our striker.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Poor at hold up play, terrible decision making, mediocre penalty taker but a great shithouser. Seems well off form this season and needs to be dropped for a few games.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
He's not even good enough as a top 10 squad player unfortunately. If we go down he's going to be good in the Championship, if we dont go down, wouldnt be upset
if club sacked him off. Andone is better.

Not sure where this rose tinted view of Andone is coming from. He has never proved he is a better option (I would love it if he were) but there is a fair chance that he isn't or will spend more time suspended than playing.

It seems the less a player plays for us the better they become.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not sure where this rose tinted view of Andone is coming from. He has never proved he is a better option (I would love it if he were) but there is a fair chance that he isn't or will spend more time suspended than playing.

It seems the less a player plays for us the better they become.

Don't agree at all, Andone has played in la Liga the Turkish Super league and the PL, Maupay the championship and PL are only leagues of note.

He didn't get many opportunities under Hughton as he was a headcase and not that good at tracking back, but when he played, his skill as a player was evident, his reduced opportunities were not because of lack of skill on the ball.

I stand by it, Andone is a better striker, can head the ball and is better than Maupay, an extended run (if he has reined in his dark/nutty side) will prove it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think a lot on here are missing the point with Maupay. It doesn't matter whether he's any good or not. (He is by the way) What matters right now is do we have a better option? Stats and others performances say we don't...

What we need to do at this point is try to play to his strengths while using the other forward option to mitigate his weaknesses. That for me is Wellbeck over Trossard even though Trossard has been playing quite well of late. I do agree that Maupay looks hesitant and unsure currently but lets be honest of the forwards we have he's still the one you'd want a chance to fall too. The summer however is a different matter and we need to improve our options if we want to do more than survive..

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If trying to get the best from Maupay because he's better than the rest ( poor sods)
Why aren't we playing Trossard on the left in place of March . . . and Welbeck up front with him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think a lot on here are missing the point with Maupay. It doesn't matter whether he's any good or not. (He is by the way) What matters right now is do we have a better option? Stats and others performances say we don't...

What we need to do at this point is try to play to his strengthswhile using the other forward option to mitigate his weaknesses. That for me is Wellbeck over Trossard even though Trossard has been playing quite well of late. I do agree that Maupay looks hesitant and unsure currently but lets be honest of the forwards we have he's still the one you'd want a chance to fall too. The summer however is a different matter and we need to improve our options if we want to do more than survive..

Was always the same lame thing with CMS. Didn't happen then, won't happen now. It's up to the management to find a way to get the player to play to the team's strengths, not the other way around. Fit in or ship out :wave:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was always the same lame thing with CMS. Didn't happen then, won't happen now. It's up to the management to find a way to get the player to play to the team's strengths, not the other way around. Fit in or ship out :wave:

Might be the case but not now the window is closed. Right now we need to score as many goals as we are capable of with what we have.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Don't agree at all, Andone has played in la Liga the Turkish Super league and the PL, Maupay the championship and PL are only leagues of note.

He didn't get many opportunities under Hughton as he was a headcase and not that good at tracking back, but when he played, his skill as a player was evident, his reduced opportunities were not because of lack of skill on the ball.

I stand by it, Andone is a better striker, can head the ball and is better than Maupay, an extended run (if he has reined in his dark/nutty side) will prove it.

To be fair I hope he is fantastic and the answer to our prayers, but the controlling of his dark side is not guaranteed, and the serious injuries he has had may make him a much lesser player. As I said I hope he is the answer but I have my doubts.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Free agent Daniel Sturridge worth a punt ?

To be honest, anyone is worth a punt. Including the old school putting a centre back up front, but Andone gets my vote if fit, then Wellbeck. Connolly has missed sitters and cant score either. Maupay needs to be on the bench and told to fight for his place.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

Also Andone played in an Albion side that would be lucky to create 4 chances a game. The current side produce circa 25 chances a game. There is no excuse for a forward failing to score in this side but there was under Hughton.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

Agree. I’m on record here as a fan of madman Andone, think he’s brilliant and defiantly happy to see him play again.

However we need to remember he’s coming back from quite a serious injury. He’s not the man to save us this season unfortunately.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If trying to get the best from Maupay because he's better than the rest ( poor sods)
Why aren't we playing Trossard on the left in place of March . . . and Welbeck up front with him.

I agree with this. If we continue to play 3-5-2, Trossard should be left wing back ... he's clearly better wide than up front. Not to worry about the defensive side of things, we're pretty strong at the back and can afford to take more risks than we do in pursuit of goals.

On a similar vein, the other one who I might be tempted to try there is Zeqiri. .... no no, hear me out.

He's got the application to get up and down, he's a target for Sanchez if he wants to go over the press, he can cross with his left foot, he's an additional unit to help in both boxes for set peices and he as eager as anyone for game time. I reckon he might get a few at the back post arriving late for crosses from the other full back.

Anyway, we can't persist with Alzate or Burn there. We need someone who can contribute a final ball

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here