Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree with this. If we continue to play 3-5-2, Trossard should be left wing back ... he's clearly better wide than up front. Not to worry about the defensive side of things, we're pretty strong at the back and can afford to take more risks than we do in pursuit of goals.

On a similar vein, the other one who I might be tempted to try there is Zeqiri. .... no no, hear me out.

He's got the application to get up and down, he's a target for Sanchez if he wants to go over the press, he can cross with his left foot, he's an additional unit to help in both boxes for set peices and he as eager as anyone for game time. I reckon he might get a few at the back post arriving late for crosses from the other full back.

Anyway, we can't persist with Alzate or Burn there. We need someone who can contribute a final ball

From what little we've seen of Zeqiri, I'd put him on the left ahead of Trossard . . . But where do you put trossard . . . . In the Ali-Mac spot, but he's on form . . . All of a sudden you see why GP started a few games with 'no striker'

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I don't quite see all the angst with Maupay - he is one of lots of players, and we all know its lots who misses chances, has made poor decisions, maybe has seen his confidence drop, BUT, if the OP was genuinely asking the question, then if you look at some of our best moments vs. Palace as the most recent example, Maupay is involved in the majority of them without having the final chance himself.. His dummy for Lallana, his run and attempted pass inside to Welbeck (I think Welbeck doesnt help him by being too square on with the defender ),. I thought his influence grew in 2nd half.
Sam Baldock got a lot of heat initially until people realised what happened when he wasn't playing...

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

Intriguing stats showing Neal very involved in our siege on the Palace goal. In answer to the question, he offers massive commitment and energy and links well in the passages of quick passing and movement in and around the opposition penalty area which have made us a pleasure to watch, notwithstanding the fact we are still in a relegation scrap. 7 goals so far this season and 10 last season not to be sniffed at. A 20 plus goal a season striker in this division would be wonderful, but two or three pitching in with 9 - 12 each probaby more realistic. I think Maupay would/will deliver even more with the raucous backing of our supporters at games - home and away, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be the latest victim of those who need a scapegoat.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I have been very critical of him this season and do think he could do with a couple of games on the bench to sort his head.

What frustrates me is he does have it in him. The goal he scored against Wolves at home last season was unbelievable, he was buzzing and I thought we have such a good striker here. Likewise his finish away at Palace was excellent.

He desperately needs a goal or two but the problem is he knows it too and is trying too hard. That near post effort against Palace this week when there was about four players he could have rolled it to sums it up.

I would bench him against WBA hope we get ahead and then let him loose.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Maupay with the chance Mateta scored. He'd have taken one touch to control it, one to try and turn, and a third to shoot, which would have either been blocked, or he'd have had the ball nicked off him.

Exactly this. As I watched the replay of that goal all I could think was in what way would Maupay have stuffed it up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Zeqiri to get a run up front for me

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Posted this in the other thread but Have you ever seen a player look so disinterested when he misses? Most strikers look gutted when they miss chances, not our Neal, shrugs it off. I’ve genuinely seen him more angry when he misses a chance on Fifa, and I’m not joking.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Involved in everything created once again. Best attacking player by a mile. Which is pretty unfortunate...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here