Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But at those two Palace games the stewarding was relaxed in the North leaving everybody free to stand and sing
Beginning of last season they became over zealous with the stewarding and killed the NS stone dead sadly

I went to the Spurs game against Fiorentina, and there was no attempt to make the home stand sit down at all. We all stood throughout. Now, I don't know if that is the norm there, but the result was much more atmospheric.

At Palace, the 'ultras' area - or whatever they are called - are all allowed to stand. Give the crowd freedom and you allow more atmosphere to emerge. You certainly can't manufacture an atmosphere.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Albion have the best away support in the Championship."

I think a few clubs would argue with that. Boro, for starters.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I know others have made the same point, but I was a lower west stand season ticket holder in the 80's. Most of the comments about how quiet the ground was were made then too. Nothing really changes. Its probably not materially better or worse now is my point. Albion crowds have alway needed something to get them going - reactive not proactive.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Regardless of whether the article is 100% true, 100% incorrect or somewhere in between. I think Naylor and / or his Editor need to take a hard look at themselves for writing the article and letting it go to Press. Quite simply because it alienates a lot of it's Readers and him from it's Readers.

Why would he want to do that ??

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I went to the Spurs game against Fiorentina, and there was no attempt to make the home stand sit down at all. We all stood throughout. Now, I don't know if that is the norm there, but the result was much more atmospheric.

At Palace, the 'ultras' area - or whatever they are called - are all allowed to stand. Give the crowd freedom and you allow more atmosphere to emerge. You certainly can't manufacture an atmosphere.

Similarly I was in the Old Trafford paddock last Thursday against the Dippers, and it was all standing, and quite noisy until Coutinho scored the equaliser.

After that it was just sporadic "The Sun was right, you're murderers", and "Justice for Heysel" from a minority.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If we doubled the size of the North, (which would be a massive amount of work) it would be about 5,000. We don't have that many fans to fill it atm, so we would have more empty seats.

Also, I don't think the size of this North Stand is too different to that of the Goldstone's. Nor the rake of the stand either.

North Stand Goldstone took 6,000, and that was 80/90's, probably more in ancient times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've actually had loads of work on today and have only just read the article. I don't have time to trawl through 17 pages of thread too so apologies here and now for any repetition or "fixtures". But - essentially - what a load of old cobblers.

"Albion have the best away support in the Championship." - no we don't Andy, but way to suck up to your readers before you start to slowly have a snidey go at them and the club.

"Albion's next game at home to Burnley is the second-biggest in the club's five seasons at the stadium. Only the second leg of the play-offs against Crystal Palace three seasons ago ranks higher." - no it isn't you tool. How about Derby in the playoffs? And for many fans any game against Palace is bigger as was the Liverpool League Cup match in season one and the two Arsenal games

"The attendance for the last home game against Reading a week ago, 23,418, was poor, the fourth lowest of season. The worst three, against Blackburn, Rotherham and Bristol City, were in August, September and October, when Albion's capacity to mount a challenge off the back of a relegation struggle was still unproven." - or, alternatively, when we were top and unbeaten.

"The gate against Sheffield Wednesday a week earlier of 26,128 was a little misleading, due to a cut-price ticket offer." so, what you're saying, Andy, is that we should pay through the nose for tickets and be happy to because it's an "important" game.. However, if we cut prices that doesn't count.

"More than 7,000 made the relatively short journey to Milton Keynes" - why mention the relative distance here but not the price? Are cheap away tickets different to cheap home tickets?

Clutching. At. Straws.

Stoke c***

RohanInceEnthusiast

Nov 26, 2015
I have to say that I sadly have to agree with Andy here. Not so much with the attendances, but more the atmosphere given we have on average one of the best home attendances in the league.

The problem (for me) lies in the fact the south, east and part of the west stand simply make no effort to add to the atmos. - I can understand this in the family area where people come with families, children etc. but why is it that the only stand that makes some sort of noise is the north?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have to say that I sadly have to agree with Andy here. Not so much with the attendances, but more the atmosphere given we have on average one of the best home attendances in the league.

The problem (for me) lies in the fact the south, east and part of the west stand simply make no effort to add to the atmos. - I can understand this in the family area where people come with families, children etc. but why is it that the only stand that makes some sort of noise is the north?

Last game at the Amex I went to before going abroad for a while was the visit of The Mighty Leeds. Despite us being 4-0 up at half time and with an alleged 25K 'attendance' the second half was embarrassingly devoid of any kind of atmosphere. Face it, the Amex just ISN'T a cauldron of noise and is unlikely to become one anytime soon. Oh well. :shrug:

RohanInceEnthusiast

Nov 26, 2015
Last game at the Amex I went to before going abroad for a while was the visit of The Mighty Leeds. Despite us being 4-0 up at half time and with an alleged 25K 'attendance' the second half was embarrassingly devoid of any kind of atmosphere. Face it, the Amex just ISN'T a cauldron of noise and is unlikely to become one anytime soon. Oh well. :shrug:

Agree with this. I can't help but say that Brighton is a premier league-ready club in every aspect apart from the support/atmosphere.

If we were to go up, and the support stayed vaguely similar it would be laughable in the PL.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He doesn't say that. He doesn't "slag off" fans. He said in his tweet that in his view "support" has been "poor" by which he means [size of] support.
I would have phrased that differently.
However in comparison to previous seasons at the Amex then this is self evidently true given that season ticket holders have fallen substantially in in the last 2 seasons.

Looking at his tweets Chailey, the 'Poor' remark was definately not about crowd size. Although in the article itself he says the Reading attendance was poor. I started this thread on the back of his Tweet and following conversations with fans where he says that the support by Albion fans at the Amex was poor.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Naylor is retweeting anyone who vaguely agrees with him. It's all a bit needy and rather against the journos' Twitter etiquette

https://twitter.com/sjamesjourno/status/712265764007485440

PG

Classic tactic pioneered by STANLOI Collymore, and sadly embraced by too many footballers to mention who seemingly cannot resist retweeting the arselicking (and in the process, effectively giving the arselicker a virtual reacharound). I love Twitter, but that is one aspect of it that always makes me cringe.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

In fairness, that may have been because the second half was embarrassingly devoid of any kind of football. The team basically packed up and went home at half time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He doesn't say that. He doesn't "slag off" fans. He said in his tweet that in his view "support" has been "poor" by which he means [size of] support.
I would have phrased that differently.
However in comparison to previous seasons at the Amex then this is self evidently true given that season ticket holders have fallen substantially in in the last 2 seasons.

Looking at his tweets Chailey, the 'Poor' remark was definately not about crowd size. Although in the article itself he says the Reading attendance was poor. I started this thread on the back of his Tweet and following conversation with fans where he through that the support by Albion fans at the Amex was poor.

Actually the only clever bit of writing in the whole piece is the fact that, while he doesn't slag off the vocal support explicitly, he does implicitly. More people should = more noise. "Support" means both numbers and noise, no one want a ground full of 30,000 silent types.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Classic tactic pioneered by STANLOI Collymore, and sadly embraced by too many footballers to mention who seemingly cannot resist retweeting the arselicking (and in the process, effectively giving the arselicker a virtual reacharound). I love Twitter, but that is one aspect of it that always makes me cringe.

:bowdown: Classic use of an accented name there chap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here