Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League: England V Iceland

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Great to lay the Euro 2016 ghosts to rest and gain revenge on Iceland and then some.

Plenty to be optimistic about, we need to figure out how we get Kane, Jack, Rashford and Sterling together and must get Foden in alongside Henderson or Rice.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Why, just proved that England are flat track bullies, beat the average nations, but unable to compete with the likes of Belguim, Spain, Germany etc.

We beat Spain last time we played them, and beat Belgium at home. The results overall have been good

I don't think you can't read too much into these types of games, as long as we produce in the tournament that's what counts and what Southgate will be judged on

Dec 29, 2011
Foden is a tremendous talent.

If we can get Foden, Sancho, Sterling, Girlish, Rashford and Kane firing on all cylinders, there’s no reason why England can’t win a trophy. Yes. Even with Southgate.

Name the last country to win an international trophy without a world class defence

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

If we can get Foden, Sancho, Sterling, Girlish, Rashford and Kane firing on all cylinders, there’s no reason why England can’t win a trophy. Yes. Even with Southgate.

If you look at the managers of international teams that have succeeded they have often been far from elite (e.g Richard Nielsen, Fernando Santos)

Most of the battle is to have someone who the team are happy playing for, and a team that are happy with each other. England seem to have that.

Changing the manager has rarely made much difference to England. I think they should just leave Southgate to it.

Other teams just seem to get on with it, England fans spend too much time thinking of themselves more highly than they ought.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Seriously optimistic about this new generation of young players.

Phil Foden
Trent A-A
Mason Mount
Mason Greenwood
Jayden Sancho
Declan Rice
Dom C-L
Bukayo Saka
Eddie Nketia
Dean Henderson
Ben White
Tariq Lampety
Jude Bellingham
Reece James

Just concerned that this new golden generation will suffer the same fate as the last, for the same reason, the manager isn't of the same calibre.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Hard to know what to make of that. Iceland couldn't have been worse opposition for a meaningful sign-off for the year. Demotivated from missing out on EURO, manager's last game, missing several key figures. Arnason is 38 and last played in the Championship five years ago.

England look really promising when given time and space but given that Spain have hit their groove, Germany are certain to improve, Belgium beat us quite clinically, Italy are unbeaten in 400 games, France are world champions...I feel optimistic because of the attitude of the squad but it's hard to argue that we've a better midfield/forward line than previous tournaments and we've not won a Euro knockout game since Spain in '96.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seriously optimistic about this new generation of young players.

Phil Foden
Trent A-A
Mason Mount
Mason Greenwood
Jayden Sancho
Declan Rice
Dom C-L
Bukayo Saka
Eddie Nketia
Dean Henderson
Ben White
Tariq Lampety
Jude Bellingham
Reece James

Just concerned that this new golden generation will suffer the same fate as the last, for the same reason, the manager isn't of the same calibre.

As I've oft mentioned, the manager of international sides is less important than the ability to bond players. Southgate has that. Many tournament winning managers have been bang average in their overall domestic record.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Name the last country to win an international trophy without a world class defence

Portugal Euro 2016. What do I win?

And Greece Euros 2004.

International competitions are like any cup competition. It’s not a league of 40 odd games. It’s knock out football with games coming in very quick succession. A good team spirit, the ability to score crucial goals, hitting form at the right time, the luck of the draw (literally) and a little luck in general and you can win.

There is no reason why this England team can’t win something.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As I've oft mentioned, the manager of international sides is less important than the ability to bond players. Southgate has that. Many tournament winning managers have been bang average in their overall domestic record.

Maybe, but he is limited tactically, this will cost us.

Take last night for example. Against 10 men, Harry Maguire was pushed up into an attacking role for too long, when good options were available off the bench. Too often attacking actions broke down when he was in and around thier box.

Southgate makes like for like substitutions, never really tactically altering the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Take last night for example. Against 10 men, Harry Maguire was pushed up into an attacking role for too long, when good options were available off the bench. Too often attacking actions broke down when he was in and around thier box.

Southgate makes like for like substitutions, never really tactically altering the game.

I agree, but he has an important attribute at the moment....

He is very lucky - which makes up for questionable selection and tactics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I agree, but he has an important attribute at the moment....

He is very lucky - which makes up for questionable selection and tactics.

So lucky that we got dumped out of the tournament.....

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

And Greenwood . So much attacking Talent . You have to know how to use It though .
Southgate is a naturally cautious manager .
He had done very well but I don’t think he’s the right man for the job anymore

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Are we being a bit OTT with England? We have just beaten a country with a population smaller than Brighton and Hove, came third in a league. We only beat poor sides. Look at the last World Cup, when we played a 'top'
Side, we lost. We have a manager who
Does not have a clue about tactics. Yes we have some good offensives players, in fact very good, but lack a structure or players to support that. If Players like Mings, Dier etc can get a gig, then we will never be a top side. We need a good international manager, not a yes man for the FA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Was the game any good?

I was darning some old socks and missed it.

last time we played a non leage bunch of part timers I put a tenner on them and won £100

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Absolutely. I was shouting at the screen, “what the f#ck you doing there, Maquire!” For a good 15 minutes. Utterly pointless pushing him up, when there were far, far better options to have really taken the game to Iceland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here