Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League - Belgium vs England

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Rice (two mistakes, although the foul was harsh) and Henderson in the middle with three narrow behind. Go figure?
No pace up top.
First half set-up bizarre.
Grealish excellent.
Southgate is a bit clueless.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What was that all about playing Mount on the right of a front three?!?

I'd play the lad in the middle with Henderson. My team:

1. Pope. 2. Lamptey. 3. Chilwell. 4. Dunk. 5. Maguire. 6. Henderson. 7. Mount. 8. Grealish. 9. Rashford. 10. Kane. 11. Sterling

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
What was that all about playing Mount on the right of a front three?!?

I'd play the lad in the middle with Henderson. My team:

1. Pope. 2. Lamptey. 3. Chilwell. 4. Dunk. 5. Maguire. 6. Henderson. 7. Mount. 8. Grealish. 9. Rashford. 10. Kane. 11. Sterling

What no Ben white or Webster ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was the only class on the pitch. Never liked him, but.....:bowdown:

And [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has me bang to rights :lolol:

Football. It's all about opinions, isn't it.

(No. No it isn't. It's all about facts. Fact.)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Watching England last night a bit like watching us and really showed the importance of pace within the front three to stretch teams. We don’t have any, and neither did the front three the Palace goon picked last night. Lamptey shows how important pace is to unsettle sides. Desperately need Izzy back. Oh to have been able to afford Watkins

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I watched the first half, free kick and goal was more predictable than a BHA corner, switched over, put a log on the fire and fell asleep, time well spent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I didn't half chuckle this morning when I heard Southgate on the radio stating that it was a good performance that we'd take the postives from. Oh my aching sides.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
IMO but we should be QF/SF team capable of beating anyone on our day with the players we currently have available. Not with Southgate despite his decent showing at the WC he's no further forward than he was then and now he has a better squad.

Since World cup semis -

Got to Nation league finals
Beaten Spain in their own backyard
Beaten world ranked 1 Belgium at Wembley

Doing ok , the first half last night wasnt good but do we'll at the Euros I suspect. Big Tournaments is where it counts and Southgate has a good record so far

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Watching England last night a bit like watching us and really showed the importance of pace within the front three to stretch teams. We don’t have any, and neither did the front three the Palace goon picked last night. Lamptey shows how important pace is to unsettle sides. Desperately need Izzy back. Oh to have been able to afford Watkins

The player we will mourn missing out on most will be Nunez who chose to sign for Benfica. Apparently Man City are already looking at him.
He will be added to Virgil van Dijk as a what could have been signing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. I also thought it was like watching Brighton, with one major upgrade.....

Grealish was sensational. Every time he got the ball the opposition seemed mesmerised. It wasn't till close to the end that I saw him fairly tackled to lose the ball.

This thread is a perfect example of how having a strong prejudice influences perceptions. 'I don't like him, therefore he was nothing special'. And on that note, I don't like the manager, but we weren't as bad as it might have seemed. I quite enjoyed the game. There again the pressure was nothing like watching the Albion play....maybe I'm simply a 'club before country' man :shrug:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Having recently seen Mee and Tarkosvki totally dominate us, can anyone really say Dunk, Webster and White are currently anywhere near the team?

Mings was nutmegged for the first goal and failed to jump when in the line for the free kick. Failed to close down the opposition all night.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Since World cup semis -

Beaten world r seeanked 1 Belgium at Wembley

Doing ok , the first half last night wasnt good but do we'll at the Euros I suspect. Big Tournaments is where it counts and Southgate has a good record so far

His big tournament record is as good as Chris Coleman's but with a better squad

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Since World cup semis -

Beaten world ranked 1 Belgium at Wembley

We have the firepower to beat anyone and I do mean anyone. When you think someone as talented as say Hudson Adoi is probably 5/6th choice now it shows how dangerous we can be. Where it starts to unravel for me is in midfield neither of the starters last night has the guile to unlock defences and Southgate seems obsessed by his clearly bigger problem of protecting his defence. Two holding midfielders tells its own story. Right backs we have about 10 good ones. LB's less so, but Chilwell is decent.
Central defenders and the keeper however are real problems. Walker a converted RB is the best of the three who started the other two are short of the standard, as is Maguire. He refuses to look much beyond those and although IMO both Dunk and Coady are better I'm not sure they are at that level either. Keepers Southgate is blinkered to Pickford but his best option to succeed him in Henderson doesn't play enough.

Biggest problem for me though is the set up which ignores what we have to over compensate for our defensive frailties and that sits with Southgate I'm afraid. He abandoned a three after the WC and I cannot understand why he has gone back to it? Playing three bad centre halfs instead of two makes no sense especially when you cannot drill them in the time he has. To have a chance of winning the Euros he needs to find two competent central defenders outside of the group he has selected, no Gomez is a big loss and he doesn't have time IMO to do so.

I sort of agree with you on last night. No luck double deflection on the 1st and not a free kick for the 2nd but every time they broke against us I thought they would score and we played some lovely stuff without making it count. England = Brighton :lolol:

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having recently seen Mee and Tarkosvki totally dominate us, can anyone really say Dunk, Webster and White are currently anywhere near the team?

Mee and Tarkosvki didn't dominate our centre backs though. They just provided a very solid pairing in a team set up to defend away. Pretty obvious to anyone who's watched us regularly that they were just doing the job Dunk and Duffy did for CH to much acclaim and one single solitary cap for Dunk. A fairer comparison will be to see how Mings gets on for Villa against us on Saturday as he's actually in possession of the shirt.

That said it's again obvious that Southgate doesn't want to use Dunk, Webster is not even close to knocking on the door and White has the potential to at some time in the future, especially considering we are playing Rice and Dier in the same side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here