Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League - Belgium vs England

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He got the job because the FA knew him and knew that he wouldn't cause any trouble. He got the press on his side by making sure players were available to them. He picks players based on whether they add to his reputation as a forward-thinking coach who gives youngsters a chance, regardless of whether they are better than the ones he's leaving out. As his record with Middlesbrough suggests, he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. He seldom makes substitutes to change the pattern of play or formation, preferring like-for-like changes.

An FA nodding donkey.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Gareth Southgate is obviously a nice bloke, but does being a failed Middlesbrough manager qualify him to manage England? I have my doubts..............

Does winning Serie A and European Cup with AC Milan?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What a lot of people seem to not realise, is that England haven't been good for decades. We seem to have this view that we are a top footballing nation, but we simply are not. This is compounded by successive managers playing their favourites and leaving out some much better in form players.

We do pretty well in qualifying tournaments when up against mid range teams, but when faced with proper world class opponents we are shown up for what we are. With the occasional good result (v Belgium recently) the myth that we are world beaters is bolstered. The world cup run looks good if you just look at the final position, but actually we had an easy run to where we got, and the decent teams did not really have any trouble dispatching us.

As soon as we realise we are top half championship and not Prem League top 4, then we will have more realistic expectations of games like tonights

Factually perfect, but reminding the dreamers won't win you any friends from the world of flag wavers :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Listening to your point, what is the best starting XI ?

The problem England have is that most of our good players play in the same position. We have about 6 good right backs, no decent left backs and some very average centre backs. Several interchangeable midfielders. And Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and Mount all claiming to be able to support Kane.

A league team would adjust their formation to suit the available players. An England team doesn’t have that luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The problem England have is that most of our good players play in the same position. We have about 6 good right backs, no decent left backs and some very average centre backs. Several interchangeable midfielders. And Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and Mount all claiming to be able to support Kane.

A league team would adjust their formation to suit the available players. An England team doesn’t have that luxury.

Nail on head

Plus we have a “fan base” of experts who express their disappointment with insults

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I agree, but you have to play players in their position even if they're perhaps of a lower quality to others. Playing players out of position only reduces their effect on the game. You can get away with to a degree in club football but internationally no.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Positive substitutions

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But I can i only cope with supporting one team that can get on top but fails with final balls and decision making

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Absolutely hopeless, can’t believe this clown didn’t change the system at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here