Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

national strike

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
One of the interesting things announced yesterday was that they are going to look to make public sector wage rates more reflective of local labour markets.
Most public service jobs have national wage rates which means that in London the public service jobs are relatively poorly paid whilst in the north east and north west the public service jobs are the best ones going.

About time I think.

Sent from my U8220/Pulse using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My two penneth. I'm a private sector worker and fully behind all of you public sector workers striking tomorrow. Good on you, fight the power and good luck (unfortunately, you're f***ed but I'm wishing you good luck anyway).

Another private sector employee who fully appreciates the roll of the public sector and wishes you good luck today.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Shame on the lot of em.

Ageing population. Excessive pensions, no money to pay for them. What do you expect?

Get back to work and put some elbow grease into your work for once you public service slackers.

Country in financial meltdown, legacy from the last lot of money spending wasters.

Only way out of it is work, work , work. Not strike, strike, strike.

No excuses.

TNBA

TTF

Just mental.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
All I know is that my daughters teacher is striking so my wife has to take the day off work to look after her, which means she has to make up the time on Saturday which means I cant go to the Forest game because I have to look after the kids. If I took the day off in protest that I don't have a pension or that my overtime has been cut to time and that I've had no pay rise in 4 years I would be sacked.

This.

D

Deleted member 22389

PS - I'm in a commission based role in the private sector and paid a massive amount of tax this month but I always brush this off knowing that much of the money is going towards the people in the private sector like teachers and nurses who have the guts and pure dedication to do the kind of work I know I would never have the courage, dedication or backbone to do. I never understand why so many tossers in the private sector begrudge and under value what you do and I for one salute you.

Your spot on. Its a shame people can't see past the pay and pensions and actually appreciate what their jobs involved on a day to day basis. A teachers job goes farand beyond teaching these days. When my with wife is not teaching, she is lesson planning, in meetings after school, marking books, providing the kids with extra tuition after school or other activities. My wife always goes that extra mile to ensure every single kids who leaves her class comes out with a good set of grades to try and set them up for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Another private sector employee who fully appreciates the roll of the public sector and wishes you good luck today.

I don't think anyone on here underestimates the ROLE of 65% of the public sector workers, stuff like the left-handed equalities officer or the bloated management positions in NHS can do one.

But, the facts are the taxpayer can not afford to continue to contribute at these levels to the Public Sector pension pot. Changes to Public Sector pensions should have been happening 10+ years ago when private sector pensions were changing, i.e. new entrants do not get final salary scheme etc.. but Labour did not want to upset the unions so backed away.

The global financial situation is being used as an opportunity to make much needed changes to the pension scheme, if smaller changes had been made years ago then the changes would not be as harsh as they seem now.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I don't think anyone on here underestimates the ROLE of 65% of the public sector workers, stuff like the left-handed equalities officer or the bloated management positions in NHS can do one.

But, the facts are the taxpayer can not afford to continue to contribute at these levels to the Public Sector pension pot. Changes to Public Sector pensions should have been happening 10+ years ago when private sector pensions were changing, i.e. new entrants do not get final salary scheme etc.. but Labour did not want to upset the unions so backed away.

The global financial situation is being used as an opportunity to make much needed changes to the pension scheme, if smaller changes had been made years ago then the changes would not be as harsh as they seem now.

Top post :thumbsup:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
But, the facts are the taxpayer can not afford to continue to contribute at these levels to the Public Sector pension pot.

The fact is that that is not a fact.

It is speculation that potentially (even probably, I might add) has some merit, but no specific figures have been released to justify any changes, at least in terms of the teachers pension. We're not money grabbing selfish twats - if the system is unsustainable, and that is shown to us, we will negotiate. The refusal to release specific figures and projections will only fuel the opinion that it is perfectly affordable as we stand, and that this is just a spending cut aimed at a sector in society that traditionally gets little support from the general public and traditionally does not vote Conservative.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I'm striking today to fight for a fair pension deal for teachers and public sector workers. I am sure many of you disagree with me for doing this and I would defend your democratic right to disagree to the hilt. I studied for four years at University to become a teacher. I could have gone into the private sector with all the perks of higher wages, bonuses, private medical schemes and company cars but I chose to put something back into society. All I ask is the government stick to the contract I have with them in terms of my pension that I started with in 1994 when I joined the profession. In my work there are no perks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The governments pension argument does not wash with me. How would I raise the money? Well, take yesterday's statement; not a single penny was taken from the richest 10%. Other than 12000 tax collectors losing their jobs not a single mention was made regarding tax evasion and avoidance which is estimated at 25 and 70 billion. And if you really want a clue as to who the nasty party help then check out aviation tax which will be announced next week; private jets are of course exempt.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Your spot on. Its a shame people can't see past the pay and pensions and actually appreciate what their jobs involved on a day to day basis. A teachers job goes farand beyond teaching these days. When my with wife is not teaching, she is lesson planning, in meetings after school, marking books, providing the kids with extra tuition after school or other activities. My wife always goes that extra mile to ensure every single kids who leaves her class comes out with a good set of grades to try and set them up for the future.

So what you're effectively saying is that people in the public sector work harder that those in the private sector? Nobody disputes the effort and time that teachers other public sector workers put in, but to imply that private sector workers work less hard than those in the public sector is an outrageous generalisation. I could quite easily quote you back the example of a small business owner (who runs a nursery) who spends 16 hours a day, seven days a week to keep their business afloat and provide jobs for other people, whilst taking a salary which is around the minimum wage. Like the teacher, she spends hours both outside and inside work, to ensure that the children who leave her nursery have a proper start in life (indeed, research shows that the years a child is in a nursery are the most important).The owner doesn't have a pension yet pays huge amounts of tax for herself and those she employs, so those in the public sector can have a pension. What is fair about that?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Exactly where did you get a figure of 35% from? Pie in the sky. Where did you get the fact from that the tax payer can't afford the pensions? Are you aware that the NHS pension and the Teachers pension where changed about 4/5 years ago or has that fact not sunk in because it doesn't suit your ill thought out arguments?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
this is just a spending cut aimed at a sector in society that traditionally gets little support from the general public and traditionally does not vote Conservative.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm striking today to fight for a fair pension deal for teachers and public sector workers. I am sure many of you disagree with me for doing this and I would defend your democratic right to disagree to the hilt. I studied for four years at University to become a teacher. I could have gone into the private sector with all the perks of higher wages, bonuses, private medical schemes and company cars but I chose to put something back into society. All I ask is the government stick to the contract I have with them in terms of my pension that I started with in 1994 when I joined the profession. In my work there are no perks.

And this.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
In my work there are no perks.

Surely you should be happy in the knowledge you are educating future generations? As you yourself said, you commendably said you joined the teaching profession to put something back into society and snubbed higher wages etc. Surely then perks don't worry you?

Oh, 10+ holiday a year IS a perk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what you're effectively saying is that people in the public sector work harder that those in the private sector? Nobody disputes the effort and time that teachers other public sector workers put in, but to imply that private sector workers work less hard than those in the public sector is an outrageous generalisation. I could quite easily quote you back the example of a small business owner (who runs a nursery) who spends 16 hours a day, seven days a week to keep their business afloat and provide jobs for other people, whilst taking a salary which is around the minimum wage. Like the teacher, she spends hours both outside and inside work, to ensure that the children who leave her nursery have a proper start in life (indeed, research shows that the years a child is in a nursery are the most important).The owner doesn't have a pension yet pays huge amounts of tax for herself and those she employs, so those in the public sector can have a pension. What is fair about that?

I'd love to see this nursery worker run her business without a public sector in place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway, let's lighten the mood with a little bit of music

[yt]wcXi-VYy_Yw[/yt]

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
All I know is that my daughters teacher is striking so my wife has to take the day off work to look after her, which means she has to make up the time on Saturday which means I cant go to the Forest game because I have to look after the kids. If I took the day off in protest that I don't have a pension or that my overtime has been cut to time and that I've had no pay rise in 4 years I would be sacked.

Well you should join a Union then, and get them to fight your corner, as you are obviously incapable of doing so.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This would not be happening if Margaret Thatcher was still alive and running the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will leave you to it, I'm off to ignite my brazier and stand outside my house in a donkey jacket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here