national strike

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
No contributions are made by the military towards their pensions. Any public sector bashers want to take on that one? Bonus points if you can remain logically consistent with your other views.
They don't expect to get a pension! Bonus point please! Please!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No contributions are made by the military towards their pensions. Any public sector bashers want to take on that one? Bonus points if you can remain logically consistent with your other views.

Given front line staff have a real chance of dying in service ( unlike teachers, police, dustmen etc ) and that the lowest ranks are amoungest the most poorly paid in the country ( despite their claims teachers, police and firemen get a reasonable wage ) I have no problem with it. Maybe non-front staff should make a contribution though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i have no problem with that at all considering their basic pay and conditions. few do the full 20 years or what ever it is though. how about another example, an office worker at a central government department might pay 3% pension contibution and have no NI. an MoD office worker probably gets a better pension than an infantryman in the end.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Unlike the private sector most public sector pensions are largely 'unfunded' i.e. the employee's contributions are not ring fenced or invested in the hope this would grow over the course of their employment, but are used by the employer on day to day expenditure, hence why there have been huge deficits building up.

It is not the public sector employees who should be vilified but their employers. At various times in the past there have been opportunities for local govt employers to make pension schemes 'funded' but they bottled it. Many public sector pension schemes are compulsory, contractual and based on gross income, including my own which has been around 11-12% contributions for 30+ years. I recall that as a modestly paid twenty something this was quite a crushing amount to find on top of paying a mortgage when interest rates were around 10-15% (makes me break into a cold sweat just thinking about what the repayments were) plus at that stage of my life a pension did not seem a priority. No wonder public sector employees feel so strongly about having made these sorts of contributions but find their employer has already spent this running itself.

Inspite of the current problems and frenzied debate I would still urge anyone to try to sort out a pension or at least create a potential 'hedge' in case of harder times in the future. Not easy particularly in such times but the older you get the more important this becomes and so the sooner you start the better. I do recognise that for many with inflation and pay freezes this will be even less of a possibility or priority due to the challenge of living from day to day. It concerns me that increasing numbers will be put off and just live for today, with no thought for their future.

This all makes the credit fuelled 'feel good' days of New Labour feel like eons away and highly reckless. It was very much a case of spend spend spend now, pay when you like later.....the banks rode the rollercoaster and happily took us for the ride.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
not the same boss drew, ours move on regularly enough. By boss I meant the people who are the top of the top of the company.

At 19 you have a lot to learn! Firstly, you were the one that referred to 'your boss'. I fully appreciate we are talking about the company and not one particular individual. At 19 there are a lot of things that will change before you reach or are even approaching retirement. I doubt you will be with the same company for example, possibly through your choice or maybe that of the company itself. The company may be taken over and new terms imposed or any number of different scenarios. When I started work, there were plenty of people that expected to retire with a final salary pension scheme. In less than 20 years that has changed for many people and their pensions are now reliant on the state of the stock market.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
At 19 you have a lot to learn! Firstly, you were the one that referred to 'your boss'. I fully appreciate we are talking about the company and not one particular individual. At 19 there are a lot of things that will change before you reach or are even approaching retirement. I doubt you will be with the same company for example, possibly through your choice or maybe that of the company itself. The company may be taken over and new terms imposed or any number of different scenarios. When I started work, there were plenty of people that expected to retire with a final salary pension scheme. In less than 20 years that has changed for many people and their pensions are now reliant on the state of the stock market.

well thanks for that light. Im certainly not staying on checkout department till retirement anyway, even if i do stay the whole.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
There are a lot of people working in the private sector who have no pension at all. Where is the money going to come from to pay for their benefits in their old age?

Yes you've guessed it, state funded pensions............. funded by the tax payer. Although the state pension won't buy you much of a retirement.

But you were all supposed to follow Mrs. T's advice, get out of SERPS, and start your own Private Pensions weren't you, until things like Equitable Life came along to prove that the private sector is no better at organising pension schemes than the public one.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Given front line staff have a real chance of dying in service ( unlike teachers, police, dustmen etc ) and that the lowest ranks are amoungest the most poorly paid in the country ( despite their claims teachers, police and firemen get a reasonable wage ) I have no problem with it. Maybe non-front staff should make a contribution though.

I agree but the point I am obtusely making is that we accept their pensions are part of their pay and conditions. The point about public sector wages is that they are generally lower and have reasonable pensions. The reasonable pensions are an alternative to paying more now and as an alternative to issuing bonds or PFI initiatives could be seen as very efficient.

In the case of the military its a cunning way of downplaying our military expenditure as its all lumped into the 'pensions deficit' rather than being part of the MOD budget. (FYI - I'm happy for our frontline troops to get better pay and conditions)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm surprised the Euthanasia Lobbyists haven't been heralded as society's new saviours in this brave new world - where the elderly are seen as useless, financial liabilities...

I don't we're quite that morally bankrupt as yet.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I am a civil servant who will be striking tomorrow. I have been employed for over 30 years and am considered to be management grade but I earn less than the average wage, will pay increased pension contributions and have not had a pay rise for 2 years whereas the unemployed who I deal with are due for a 5.2% rise in April as it is based on the RPI. They have had rises of 15% over 6 years whereas I have had 7% in the same period. For me it is not just about the pension, which will be 12K a year when I retire at 60 but I also believe that if the strike is not supported the government will try to impose another pay freeze in April if there is no support for this strike. As I am in my 50s I have no hope of getting another job and therefore the only good thing about the job is now the pension. All the other supposed perks that civil servants have are only enjoyed by senior civil servants and the generous leave allowance is only good if it can be used as I want. I could not even get a half day off to go to Millwall even with 4 months notice. As has already been mentioned I stayed in a job with worsening terms and conditions over recent years with just the prospect of a decent pension to look forward to and now that is being taken away.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am a civil servant who will be striking tomorrow. I have been employed for over 30 years and am considered to be management grade but I earn less than the average wage, will pay increased pension contributions and have not had a pay rise for 2 years whereas the unemployed who I deal with are due for a 5.2% rise in April as it is based on the RPI. They have had rises of 15% over 6 years whereas I have had 7% in the same period. For me it is not just about the pension, which will be 12K a year when I retire at 60 but I also believe that if the strike is not supported the government will try to impose another pay freeze in April if there is no support for this strike. As I am in my 50s I have no hope of getting another job and therefore the only good thing about the job is now the pension. All the other supposed perks that civil servants have are only enjoyed by senior civil servants and the generous leave allowance is only good if it can be used as I want. I could not even get a half day off to go to Millwall even with 4 months notice. As has already been mentioned I stayed in a job with worsening terms and conditions over recent years with just the prospect of a decent pension to look forward to and now that is being taken away.

So who do you suggest is going to pay for this decent pension when you retire 5 years early?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am a civil servant who will be striking tomorrow.

seems to me that your union has let you down, not resolving a long list of problems with your working conditions. yet they call you out over this issue, which wont solve any of them.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
700,000 public section workers are going to lose their jobs, many already have, but yet not a word how this effects the deficit in public sector pensions. At the end of the day they have to be paid, those in the private sector will still have to pay for them through their taxes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am a civil servant who will be striking tomorrow. I have been employed for over 30 years and am considered to be management grade but I earn less than the average wage

Mate, much as I respect the rest of your post, that is patently bollocks.

dexter

Apr 25, 2011
Some of these strikers are looking at pensions as low as 6 grand a year yet are beng told they have to work longer and contribute more by a bunch of old Etonian millionaires. That doesn't strike me as being fair.
add to that the national old age pension (my mother gets a shade over £4000 per annum ) and i would say a minimum of 10 grand a year is not to bad bearing in mind this is the lowest!!

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
There goes the voice of reason, a clearly succinct and well thought out response - you sir are a moron![/QUOTE]

So name calling is clearly a well thought out response?

Err - I would like assure you I really considered it and then thought about it some more and then posted it - so yes in reality I had come to the conclusion it was posted by a moron - quote "bunch of ungrateful wankers. As it is with these reforms they still have better pensions than most in the private sector. People atm (SIC) want everything for nothing and are unwilling to make comprimises" - hardly the words of anyone other than a moron in my world.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Err - I would like assure you I really considered it and then thought about it some more and then posted it - so yes in reality I had come to the conclusion it was posted by a moron - quote "bunch of ungrateful wankers. As it is with these reforms they still have better pensions than most in the private sector. People atm (SIC) want everything for nothing and are unwilling to make comprimises"[/B] - hardly the words of anyone other than a moron in my world.

I didn't say I disagreed with you.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The point about public sector wages is that they are generally lower and have reasonable pensions.

This may have been the case years ago, but today is patently bollocks. Please feel free to find the facts to support your statement.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
This may have been the case years ago, but today is patently bollocks. Please feel free to find the facts to support your statement.

Somewhat obvious really but there is no like for like comparison, which makes your saying its patently bollocks at least as bollocks as my saying it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jan/09/bad-science-ben-goldacre

So yes do feel free to disregard, though it doesnt change the point that a pension is part of your pay, and given pay freezes public sector pay is already being cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports