• Yes

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 145 69.0%

• Total voters

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As someone who's attended hundreds of sporting events in Canada throughout my life, I honestly can't abide the singing of national anthems before a game. It started in the US, at baseball games when they entered WWII; and for some reason, my country chose to imitate them by singing GSTK/Q, then O Canada ever since. In the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS, that means we have to stand through 2 anthems most of the time. I've never cottoned to the jingoistic aspect of this forced 'tradition'. Don't misunderstand me: I'm most definitely grateful to be living in this peaceful and tolerant nation, and I'll stand up for the anthem(s) wherever it's/they're played (if only out of peer pressure) -- but it seems so hoaky and outdated. Maybe it's the Québécois in me..? The Welsh and Scots may feel the same way.

It’s a Non then.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does anyone remember when they used to play it after the last programme on BBC One and Two?

Imagine that getting suggested again? 🙈
Bit difficult, seeing as there isn't a 'last programme' on either channel – they run 24/7...

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
It’s a Non then.

Heh heh, I don't even know the words! But I will be waving my Canadian-themed Seagulls flag in the lower East stands on Monday, so I suppose I might be (mis)taken for a Commonwealth patriot, lol ;)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As someone who's attended hundreds of sporting events in Canada throughout my life, I honestly can't abide the singing of national anthems before a game. It started in the US, at baseball games when they entered WWII; and for some reason, my country chose to imitate them by singing GSTK/Q, then O Canada ever since. In the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS, that means we have to stand through 2 anthems most of the time. I've never cottoned to the jingoistic aspect of this forced 'tradition'. Don't misunderstand me: I'm most definitely grateful to be living in this peaceful and tolerant nation, and I'll stand up for the anthem(s) wherever it's/they're played (if only out of peer pressure) -- but it seems so hoaky and outdated. Maybe it's the Québécois in me..? The Welsh and Scots may feel the same way.

A baseball fan was ejected from Yankee Stadium when he tried to go for a slash during the playing of "God Bless America"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-civilrights-baseball-idUSTRE53E66F20090415

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Ardent nationalists are vital for an imperialistic country to succeed, so if that is still our plan then sing up I say.

Otherwise save it for international sporting events.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll sing it at internationals as it's what represents us as a nation, but I won't be singing it on Monday. I wish we had an equivalent of The Flower of Scotland that we English could use and leave 'God Save the King' to those more aligned to the whole royal/commonwealth idea.

I'm a republican at heart - although I rather worry about what we'd replace our constitutional monarchy with. I'd want to see a non-politicised head of state and I bet we'd screw that up! The words are anachronistic. I'm not singing or praying for an individual.

Anyhow, why are we even playing it? The coronation is on Saturday, not Monday.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bit difficult, seeing as there isn't a 'last programme' on either channel – they run 24/7...

Think the word 'remember' is the key word. Like Lenny I remember the BBC closing down to the national anthem.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Think the word 'remember' is the key word. Like Lenny I remember the BBC closing down to the national anthem.
I was responding specifically to the loaded 'Imagine that getting suggested again? 🙈' bit...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I shall place my hand across my chest and burst into tuneful pride...

'Good old Sussex by the sea...'

I think it's an imposition. We live in a modern world where folk think more independently. It is being sung as a result of King's coronation and therefore it is a call to homage and, however subtly, folk are expected to do it.

This is 2023 not 1923. For this reason, I'm out. This has nothing to do with not being 'proud to be English' (another imposed attribute on free thinkers). That's just a proxy parasitical argument, like calling someone who voted for BREXIT racist.

(I'm not at the game anyway, so this is hypothetical)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here