Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The feeling amongst Stoke fans is that petience is beginning to run thin, he's probably got the 3 games before the next international break where he will be expected to pick up a minimum points haul of 4 to keep his job.

Championship

Stoke
20:00
Nottm Forest

Tuesday 1st October 2019
Championship

Stoke
20:00
Huddersfield

Saturday 5th October 2019
Championship

Swansea
15:00
Stoke

In reality I think the Huddersfield game will be the decisive one as that is already proving to be a 6 pointer. The other 2 are extremely tough and Stoke shouldn’t expect too much on current form.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
While everything he says is probably quite true, it is also the voice of a man who has lost all confidence in both himself and his team. There is obviously a rift between him and his squad and blunt comments like that won't do any good. His days are numbered.

He is overly confident about himself and you need self confidence but sometimes you need to confine the ''self confidence'' to within - Nathan Jones didn't do that. He virtually claimed he was as good as any Manager in the country

"I believe my work is top-end. If it’s top-end, then players will respond to it. That’s the only way I would like to gain their respect..I will get to know them, I will man-manage them, because that’s part and parcel of my job, and it’s what I like doing. But the fundamental thing is when we go out on the training ground, they will see work that defies where I’ve come from. People will say: ‘You haven’t managed at the top level.’ But I believe if I was to put my work against top-level coaches, there would be no big gap....I can promise you that my staff will give them a team that they can be proud of. I guarantee it.”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He is overly confident about himself and you need self confidence but sometimes you need to confine the ''self confidence'' to within - Nathan Jones didn't do that. He virtually claimed he was as good as any Manager in the country

"I believe my work is top-end. If it’s top-end, then players will respond to it. That’s the only way I would like to gain their respect..I will get to know them, I will man-manage them, because that’s part and parcel of my job, and it’s what I like doing. But the fundamental thing is when we go out on the training ground, they will see work that defies where I’ve come from. People will say: ‘You haven’t managed at the top level.’ But I believe if I was to put my work against top-level coaches, there would be no big gap....I can promise you that my staff will give them a team that they can be proud of. I guarantee it.”

Either overly self-confident or heavily compensating for a lack of it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sincere question warning - What makes them a basket case club?

Basket case may have been too strong, but all I can see is another side like Sunderland, Bolton and others who slip from the Premier League and are then ill prepared to bounce back. I fear they will slip straight through and then who knows what, it's a very slippery slope to climb back up!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To name a few of the Stoke players….. Butland, Clucas, McClean, Ince, Allen, Vokes, Hogan. That’s easily good enough to challenging at the right end of the Championship. Their wage bill can’t be far off ours.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
To name a few of the Stoke players….. Butland, Clucas, McClean, Ince, Allen, Vokes, Hogan. That’s easily good enough to challenging at the right end of the Championship. Their wage bill can’t be far off ours.

Do you really think so? Butland is a class goalkeeper, but McClean, Ince, Allen and Vokes are all either overrated, or past their best in my opinion.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I reckon any manager would need more time with this amount of new signings. I think in Sunderland's position the owners have to be all in during a transition. I am only going by the article that says their position doesn't represent their game play.
CH didn't at Brighton. He inherited worse players who almost got relegated. Signed a fair few in close season then flew out of the blocks in his first full season at Brighton and almost got Promoted. Missing out on goal difference.

This isn't really about Chris or anyone else though.

Stoke fans are not seeing progression. They are seeing their team slip close to the third tier of football and no fans of any club would find that comfortable if they had been in the PL 2 seasons ago

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
CH didn't at Brighton. He inherited worse players who almost got relegated. Signed a fair few in close season then flew out of the blocks in his first full season at Brighton and almost got Promoted. Missing out on goal difference.

This isn't really about Chris or anyone else though.

Stoke fans are not seeing progression. They are seeing their team slip close to the third tier of football and no fans of any club would find that comfortable if they had been in the PL 2 seasons ago

Hughton inherited Bruno, Dunk, Greer, Calderon, Stephens and March from a playoff squad. And we had just bought Stockdale and Baldock in preseason I seem to remember, so he had something that resembled a team.

Sunderland had a total clear out from what I understand with no one from the previous season involved. There is starting from scratch and there is starting from bugger all.

We will see if the owners are pragmatic or reactionary in due course.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Jones missing from todays press conference according to my sources.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It never rains but it pours...

1-1: Forest have their first meaningful attack and when the ball is played in by Matty Cash, Stoke keeper Butland makes a total hash of collecting and Joe Lolley is on hand to smack the ball in from 10 yards.

3-1: More laughable defending from Stoke and Lewis Grabban punishes the home side, with his fifth goal of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here