Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm sure he's waiting for the call. and pay off. Why would he resign

Stoke manager Nathan Jones: "For 45 minutes, that's as bad a performance as I've had since I've been a manager.

"No commitment, desire. A few performances out there were a real eye-opener. We got out-battled and out-fought a bit.

"We made a lot of changes but were still strong enough. Some of those players, it might be a while before they play.

"Whether they don't want to play for me, or it was just playing poorly, you will have to ask Sherlock Holmes. I don't know."

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Stoke manager Nathan Jones: "For 45 minutes, that's as bad a performance as I've had since I've been a manager.

"No commitment, desire. A few performances out there were a real eye-opener. We got out-battled and out-fought a bit.

"We made a lot of changes but were still strong enough. Some of those players, it might be a while before they play.

"Whether they don't want to play for me, or it was just playing poorly, you will have to ask Sherlock Holmes. I don't know."

Wow. That's a damning critique. He's mentioned before that he's been shocked by some of the attitudes since he arrived.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Where is this talent? Word from inside Luton is that Mick Harford's recruitment was underestimated, as were all the back room staff. Luton went on to get promoted with ease without him after all.

Apart from that, he managed Albion for two games and now Stoke where he has 3 wins in 28 games and looks absolutely clueless.

He needs to rebuild his reputation at a club of the stature of somewhere like Oxford or Bristol Rovers I think before I'd say he clearly has talent

That's a rather one-eyed assessment Simster. That read like the words of a Luton fan.

I'm not saying he's the next Jurgen Klopp, but he got Luton going from a lowly position and promoted from League Two and on their way to promotion when he jumped ship last January.

Harford certainly deserves his fair share of credit for how things have flourished at Luton over recent seasons. Nathan Jones and his favoured diamond formation too though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This. He would have been better off building on what he had started. Rather than resurrect the fortunes of another basket case club!
Sincere question warning - What makes them a basket case club?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unlucky apparently:

"And good performances are what Stoke City have offered plenty this season, or at least that’s what the underlying numbers suggest. Wyscout’s expected points model has Stoke as the 5th best side in the league, whilst Infogol’s model has Stoke in an expected 3rd place. Even the less advanced metrics show just how well Stoke are doing. 1st for crosses completed, 3rd for touches in the box, 2nd for shots in the penalty area, and 1st for least shots conceded."

https://wizardsofdrivel.com/2019/08...h-nathan-jones/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Bloody hell.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes, when a manager stops defending their players to that level, they are in effect asking their chairman to pay their contract up. Interesting to see whether the chairman takes the bait. They are going to have some high earners in that club and i'll guess their parachute payments run out at the end of the season and they'll be in the situation where they will have to risk keeping them on with wages they can't cover or having a firesale. Either way paying off old manager's in an expense they can do without.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The feeling amongst Stoke fans is that petience is beginning to run thin, he's probably got the 3 games before the next international break where he will be expected to pick up a minimum points haul of 4 to keep his job.

Championship

Stoke
20:00
Nottm Forest

Tuesday 1st October 2019
Championship

Stoke
Huddersfield

Saturday 5th October 2019
Championship

Swansea
15:00
Stoke

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Probably needs putting out of his misery with this one. He'll get a huge pay-off and no doubt after a short break he'll be back at a respectable club somewhere. Maybe in Spain. He's clearly got talent.

Stoke have been a basket case of a club for a while now. Nathan on a hiding to nothing. In hindsight he probably should have waited until the end of last season before leaving Luton.

If he had waited until the end of last season he probably wouldn't have left Luton at all, as they would have been promoted.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You can't say that for definite. His stock would have been a tad higher than when he got seduced by Stoke last January.

True, but as you say because his stock would have risen with a promotion on his cv, he may have been offered a better job than Stoke.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The feeling amongst Stoke fans is that petience is beginning to run thin, he's probably got the 3 games before the next international break where he will be expected to pick up a minimum points haul of 4 to keep his job.

Championship

Stoke
Nottm Forest

Tuesday 1st October 2019
Championship

Stoke
Huddersfield

Saturday 5th October 2019
Championship

Swansea
15:00
Stoke

I think some fans think his position is even more precarious than that

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/290204/jones-sack-make-friday?page=45

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Unlucky apparently:

"And good performances are what Stoke City have offered plenty this season, or at least that’s what the underlying numbers suggest. Wyscout’s expected points model has Stoke as the 5th best side in the league, whilst Infogol’s model has Stoke in an expected 3rd place. Even the less advanced metrics show just how well Stoke are doing. 1st for crosses completed, 3rd for touches in the box, 2nd for shots in the penalty area, and 1st for least shots conceded."

https://wizardsofdrivel.com/2019/08...h-nathan-jones/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Unfortunately he inherited a relegated team of Divas on their arse and his task was to build a new team which is a massive undertaking. Jones is someone who would have already completed a 5 mile run in the morning before the players even got out of bed and sets a high benchmark as an example including being teetotal. I think that what he did with Luton is good enough evidence to believe that he knows what he is doing but his personnel isn't scoring the chances created.

If they are starting to play good football, and the owners are satisfied with how the football is played, it would be a bad time to sack him.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Unfortunately he inherited a relegated team of Divas on their arse and his task was to build a new team which is a massive undertaking. Jones is someone who would have already completed a 5 mile run in the morning before the players even got out of bed and sets a high benchmark as an example including being teetotal. I think that what he did with Luton is good enough evidence to believe that he knows what he is doing but his personnel isn't scoring the chances created.

If they are starting to play good football, and the owners are satisfied with how the football is played, it would be a bad time to sack him.

He signed 12 of his own players - You can't knock what he did at Luton and there is a decent Manager in there somewhere but neither can you hide behind blaming what he inherited

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

While everything he says is probably quite true, it is also the voice of a man who has lost all confidence in both himself and his team. There is obviously a rift between him and his squad and blunt comments like that won't do any good. His days are numbered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here