Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I didnt say it was damaging I said it made me feel uncomfortable. The players dont work for us, analysts etc...they work for him and he called out a trait of two of them not called their performance in to question. I would never do that to anyone who worked for me as I see it as bad man managment, but I guess I must be in the minority.

Fair enough. I find it uneasy to compare industries. Football is very different to many.

As a person, if I were ever asked about an employee, I would feel uncomfortable criticising them in the face of the press. However, I am not in that position and welcome an honest appraisal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I personally disliked his use of impatient for JFC, angry at times for Lita and not stepping up about Spanish Dave. I think those should be for the dressing room and not the media, no matter if they were in a statement of how good they played in that particular game or not. The whole thing gave me an uncomfortable feeling of a Jones self-superiority.

Or is a sign that they management believe publicly speaking about these things may have a better effect on these particular players than taking him aside and having a quiet word. Footballers are as different from each other as the rest of us are. Some will respond to a public shaming by saying "I'll show you" and making extra effort to prove people wrong. Some may crawl into a shell and resent you. It's where man management comes in, and I'd rather see what affect it has one said players rather than condemn the tactic out of hand.

Having said that, I didn't like his comments about how bringing on Lita for JFC was a risk that they felt they had to take because they were so desperate to win this one because it's been so long since we last won and we want to keep in touch. Oscar is supposed to be more attack minded, why does he viewing bringing on a striker for a midfielder whose performance has dropped from the first half such a big risk? Why was this game worth more of a risk than any of the last 5 we failed to win? Is this a sign that Oscar isn't as attack minded?

But that is more about the management's approach to games that he gave voice to, rather than about him in particular.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm not going to blame OG or Jones for not going "all out balls to the wall" attack when we don't have (m)any fit attackers. Our whole season thus far has been a bit artificial because we have been hobbled by injuries.

As frustrating as it is, I'm just reserving judgement until we have something approaching our normal starting 11 available.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
My God! If this multi lingual, and generally articulate coach speaks in clichés, what did the OP make of the previous one? I'd hazard a guess that Chaz worked his way through the Guardian's Sunday League terminology list before half-time in most matches.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My God! If this multi lingual, and generally articulate coach speaks in clichés, what did the OP make of the previous one? I'd hazard a guess that Chaz worked his way through the Guardian's Sunday League terminology list before half-time in most matches.

Do you mean the one who attained the highest coaching badges?

IMHO he is doing a good job.

He knows his stuff, has worked at other clubs at various levels building useful experience, he has lots of BHA pedigree and a genuine enthusiasm for the club, his fluent Spanish will help from a practical point of view, he comes across as a very positive person usually saying sensible things pre and post match and I am happy he is in the role!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
As if it wasn't enough already - today he goes on about his respect for humans killing for oil in afghanistan.

So now the football club gives out its political stance on muslims, oil, the middle east?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As if it wasn't enough already - today he goes on about his respect for humans killing for oil in afghanistan.

So now the football club gives out its political stance on muslims, oil, the middle east?

I find him easier to like, or at least take seriously, than you.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I think it more a case that Nathan Jones gives out his stance than the club does.

Much the same as if someone were to refer to you as one-track minded agenda driven tossbag then it'd be reflective of their own opinion rather than that of their employers.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I think it more a case that Nathan Jones gives out his stance than the club does.

Much the same as if someone were to refer to you as one-track minded agenda driven tossbag then it'd be reflective of their own opinion rather than that of their employers.

your argument falls down on two fronts.

1) Jones is speaking as an employee for the club, on company time, as an "interview for the club to the public."

2) What "one track" do you refer to? I have replied to about 50 different tracks (subjects) on this forum......none are part of an 'agenda' - you sound paranoid.

maybe someone can pass this to Jones.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
hybrid_x, your bizarre rant makes one realise what a decent guy Nathan Jones is. He seems to be doing a good job of working alongside OJG and understands what the club is about. He also comes across as an honest and fair person with a reasonable outlook who is working hard.

Your political spin from him answering a reasonable question doesn't help how people perceive you, or maybe it does?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
hybrid_x, your bizarre rant makes one realise what a decent guy Nathan Jones is. He seems to be doing a good job of working alongside OJG and understands what the club is about. He also comes across as an honest and fair person with a reasonable outlook who is working hard.

Your political spin from him answering a reasonable question doesn't help how people perceive you, or maybe it does?

I care not for how i am perceived by readers a forum thread, its the subject that matters......what concerns me is a football club is giving spin on troops in Afghanistan.

It isn't right in itself, and his opinions are a little ignorant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24870699

+++++

maybe its just me, and don't get me wrong, i don't like any human dying from any weapons, hatred, or dispute....period.......but;

if one chooses to become a dentist they sort of know they might see a tooth or two.
if one chooses to become a fireman they sort of know they might see a fire or two.
if one chooses to become a footballer they sort of know they might see some grass.
if one chooses to become a brain surgeon they sort of know they might see a brain or two.

and here is the kicker, if one chooses to become a soldier, they SURELY know they might be in a dangerous place where people are armed or want to kill them at some point. (The key word here is 'chooses').

So what i find a little odd, is that in a given day on earth, where tens of thousands of people die, and none of these really get mentioned, someone who is trained to kill, is in a foreign land, for no good reason, gets killed by one of the lands natives, and then everyone is suppossed to weep and cry about it for days, and the word "Respect" is banded about."

I think Barber needs an email about Jones behavour, it's totally not on.

Last edited:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I care not for how i am perceived by readers a forum thread, its the subject that matters......what concerns me is a football club is giving spin on troops in Afghanistan.

+++++

maybe its just me, and don't get me wrong, i don't like any human dying from any weapons, hatred, or dispute....period.......but;

if one chooses to become a dentist they sort of know they might see a tooth or two.
if one chooses to become a fireman they sort of know they might see a fire or two.
if one chooses to become a footballer they sort of know they might see some grass.
if one chooses to become a brain surgeon they sort of know they might see a brain or two.

and here is the kicker, if one chooses to become a soldier, they SURELY know they might be in a dangerous place where people are armed or want to kill them at some point. (The key word here is 'chooses').

So what i find a little odd, is that in a given day on earth, where tens of thousands of people die, and none of these really get mentioned, someone who is trained to kill, is in a foreign land, for no good reason, gets killed by one of the lands natives, and then everyone is suppossed to weep and cry about it for days, and the word "Respect" is banded about."

You odious, odious little cretin.

Both Jones & Greer were directly questioned by the interviewer about the club's decision to honour the death of albion fan and soldier James Brynin ahead of the game tomorrow, who was killed on tour in Afghanistan. As far as I'm aware, the club generally honour albion fans that pass away, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with Jones & Greer paying their respects and giving their respects to all families who have loved ones out there.

But do continue to spout your tedious utterings on here in the hope of gaining some attention to your squalid little life; I think most on here see you for what you really are.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

+++++

I dont like you.

I think posting a link to the afgan murder in the same post as a referance to James is a realy nasty thing to do, no matter how many '+'s you put between it.

If this was the real world I would make you apologise, but its not so I cant. You'll just hide behind your keyboard and carry on spouting nasty things not considering how hurtful that can be to some people.

As I said, I dont like you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here