Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NASA Announcement ***Official Mars Thread***

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
You are obviously unable to have a discussion without being insulting so I won't bother. May god be with you.

I'm the one being insulting? Okaaaaayy....

Funny, I thought you were the one who was suggesting that a few microbes on Mars could prove that the deeply held beliefs of billions of people were "nonsense".

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
To be fair the question about religion seems a valid question to be discussed to me .

Me too. And as usual the religious types have sidestepped it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Let's not sidetrack this scientific conversation by delving into superstition.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To be fair the question about religion seems a valid question to be discussed to me .

It's already been discussed in the Hitchhiker's guide.

The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his bestselling book, Well That about Wraps It Up for God.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's already been discussed in the Hitchhiker's guide.

The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his bestselling book, Well That about Wraps It Up for God.

Douglas Adams. :bowdown: need to give these another read as it's probably been 20 years since I first read them...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Not really. If life is discovered, or when, those religions that swear there isn't life of earth will just move the goal posts again or go straight to denial ie creationism/evolution..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Work, Rest and Play is in fact TRUE.

What a load of tosh. Why would it do that? Honestly, are all atheists thickies?

If you want to join in big boys' conversations, at least get your facts right before you leap in. If you weren't an atheist, you would hardly suggest that all religion is nonsense. That would be thick. So either way, you seem to be thick.

As for your comments on creation and evolution, they clearly show you've started a conversation you know nothing about. All in all, you probably shouldn't have bothered.

I'm the one being insulting? Okaaaaayy....

Funny, I thought you were the one who was suggesting that a few microbes on Mars could prove that the deeply held beliefs of billions of people were "nonsense".

I think you've shown you're the oversensitive one.

Wow, you really are the enlightened one with these contributions to the thread so far...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Excellent news. It would be amazing to find life there, especially if we can analyse it to determine the differences and perhaps similarities with life on earth.

IF any life such as micro organisms are found with identical DNA coding to life on Earth it would be amazing especially IF it could be determined that life on earth originated from Mars. How would the major religions of the world explain that !

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
The existence of life on Mars is interesting, especially the whole question of where it started, given the relative abundance of Martian meteorites found on Earth. I think the question of life on Europa or Enceladus would be crucial in establishing the likelihood of life elsewhere in our galaxy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The existence of life on Mars is interesting, especially the whole question of where it started, given the relative abundance of Martian meteorites found on Earth. I think the question of life on Europa or Enceladus would be crucial in establishing the likelihood of life elsewhere in our galaxy.

Does life naturally occur independently where the conditions are conducive to it rather than planet to planet as in the panspermia theory?

It is believed that life on Earth took 800m years, which is a lot of time in a primordial soup with almost an infinite amount of random possibilities for different chemical reactions and biology to begin. Man has only been mixing chemicals in formal laboratories for about 150 years so we haven’t had enough time to explore all the possibilities to make life ourselves.

The universe creates all the ingredients for life and then maybe suitable planets become the mixing bowl?

Panspermia may play a part in some instances, and it could be that any life found on Mars originated on Earth in the first place with Earth meteorites.

Fascinating times really.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Does life naturally occur independently where the conditions are conducive to it rather than planet to planet as in the panspermia theory?

It is believed that life on Earth took 800m years, which is a lot of time in a primordial soup with almost an infinite amount of random possibilities for different chemical reactions and biology to begin. Man has only been mixing chemicals in formal laboratories for about 150 years so we haven’t had enough time to explore all the possibilities to make life ourselves.

The universe creates all the ingredients for life and then maybe suitable planets become the mixing bowl?

Panspermia may play a part in some instances, and it could be that any life found on Mars originated on Earth in the first place with Earth meteorites.

Fascinating times really.

Panspermia, in my opinion, is only valid on a local level within a galaxy. The bigger question is can life occur spontaneously is more than one location (as opposed to panspermia which implies life starts in one place and spreads). If it can (and any evidence for life on Titan, Europa et al would build the case) then the Universe is potentially teeming with life (possibly spread by panspermia at a local level). The reason I look to these watery oceaned but ice covered worlds is the difficulty panspermia would have spreading to them because of the kilometres thick ice sheet they possess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here