Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Narrowing down the search

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Paul Barber said " We have spent the last week measuring people against our criteria and now we have an excellent short-list ".

So we can rule out any one over 6 foot then.:D

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
So people like TSB been talking shit, or our club are lying to us.

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I can't believe the club are lying to us and yet I find it even harder to believe that TSB has been talking shit. Oh no, hang on, TSB does nothing but talk shit.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There may be perfectly acceptable reasons why David Burke may not be involved:

a) TB and PB consider that DB's involvement is not essential for these 'initial chats'
b) DB may know one or more of the 'candidates' personally (as has been suggested in other threads on NSC) so not appropriate that he is directly involved
c) DB may not be available / or is tasked with other priorities such as dealing with players recruitment or operational matters ahead of opening of the training complex
d) DB may become involved at a later date if TB/PB feel it is necessary to proceed to a further stage in the selection process

I note the press release describes 'candidates' rather than 'applicants' which just might be a poor choice of wording or merely reflect that the process to date has been less formal than some might anticipate, reflecting a mix of applications and less formal expressions of interest to arrive in the in-tray and conversely allowing for responses to the Albion's own approaches inviting interest from targeted individuals.

Following the initial chats the Club may then invite the sifted candidates to a more formal final selection process in front of a panel of Board members plus DB etc.

I know we are all anxious for this be resolved as quickly as possible but I'm mindful that in practice we have only had a vacancy for 13/14 days. So maybe it is understandable that the Club are only now able to commence the first stage in a selection process, allowing for all relevant parties to become available for these 'chats'. This interlude also allows for the domestic season to end, most other managerial changes to become apparent, including after the play offs - and not least for certain European competitions to be concluded........

At least they have issued a 'holding' press release to keep onlookers satisfied that the process is in hand. More important to get the appointment right than appoint someone who cannot fully commit to the operating parameters he is given and might walk away in 12 months......

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There may be perfectly acceptable reasons why David Burke may not be involved:

a) TB and PB consider that DB's involvement is not essential for these 'initial chats'
b) DB may know one or more of the 'candidates' personally (as has been suggested in other threads on NSC) so not appropriate that he is directly involved
c) DB may not be available / or is tasked with other priorities such as dealing with players recruitment or operational matters ahead of opening of the training complex
d) DB may become involved at a later date if TB/PB feel it is necessary to proceed to a further stage in the selection process

I note the press release describes 'candidates' rather than 'applicants' which just might be a poor choice of wording or merely reflect that the process to date has been less formal than some might anticipate, reflecting a mix of applications and less formal expressions of interest to arrive in the in-tray and conversely allowing for responses to the Albion's own approaches inviting interest from targeted individuals.

Following the initial chats the Club may then invite the sifted candidates to a more formal final selection process in front of a panel of Board members plus DB etc.

I know we are all anxious for this be resolved as quickly as possible but I'm mindful that in practice we have only had a vacancy for 13/14 days. So maybe it is understandable that the Club are only now able to commence the first stage in a selection process, allowing for all relevant parties to become available for these 'chats'. This interlude also allows for the domestic season to end, most other managerial changes to become apparent, including after the play offs - and not least for certain European competitions to be concluded........

At least they have issued a 'holding' press release to keep onlookers satisfied that the process is in hand. More important to get the appointment right than appoint someone who cannot fully commit to the operating parameters he is given and might walk away in 12 months......

All of this is perfectly reasonable and plausible. I do however think that DB will be involved in the process at some point and, if so, the statement should have clarified when DB is intended to play a part, if only to head off conspiracy theorists assuming that DB was persona non grata. It's not a big deal, but if the club are going to go to the lengths of naming those people who will be involved, it does leave open for interpretation the reasons why other people who may be assumed to play a part are not named.

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
Press releases like this are all part and parcel of the process. The PR band wagon is in full swing at the club and talks have already taken place with the candidates, even though Sherwood claims differently. This is just procedure designed to keep the fans updated so that they aren't accused of keeping us all in the dark. Believe me, several people have met with the club, Clement will be appointed and it will be mid June. The CL final is now out of the way and the guy needs a break before the next project...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Press releases like this are all part and parcel of the process. The PR band wagon is in full swing at the club and talks have already taken place with the candidates, even though Sherwood claims differently. This is just procedure designed to keep the fans updated so that they aren't accused of keeping us all in the dark. Believe me, several people have met with the club, Clement will be appointed and it will be mid June. The CL final is now out of the way and the guy needs a break before the next project...

It's not just Sherwood claiming that meetings haven't taken place; it's also now, by very strong implication, the club; at least with the candidates themselves. Though, as others have said, phone calls and emails with the candidates have not been excluded; neither have meetings with agents....

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
Appreciate he needs a holiday, but why can't they just announce it and then let him go on his break?!

The guy is about to go on holiday with his family, do you really think he wants the press to intrude on that and spoil it when he should be focusing on relaxing ready for the next challenge? Taking over the club is going to be the biggest job of his career so far

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
It's not just Sherwood claiming that meetings haven't taken place; it's also now, by very strong implication, the club; at least with the candidates themselves. Though, as others have said, phone calls and emails with the candidates have not been excluded; neither have meetings with agents....

Sherwood spoke to the club during the week before his Goals on Sunday appearance

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I can't believe the club are lying to us and yet I find it even harder to believe that TSB has been talking shit. Oh no, hang on, TSB does nothing but talk shit.

Wassup cuntchops?

Better to be talked about than not I suppose.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Well, if Tim Sherwood is on the list for an interview, I can assure you it would be at least his second for us.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
The guy is about to go on holiday with his family, do you really think he wants the press to intrude on that and spoil it when he should be focusing on relaxing ready for the next challenge? Taking over the club is going to be the biggest job of his career so far

Your source must be impeccable. Not only does he know about Clement's upcoming unveiling but he also knows about his thoughts on press intrusion and also his family's holiday plans.

I'm impressed!!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
not-sure-if-real-life-or-just-fantasy.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here