images
then

shares a connectio
images
n with this

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I do love old grounds. Oxford, Southampton and Derby's new places have none of the character of the Manor, the Dell or the Baseball Ground (or as much chance of being roasted alive if there was a fire in the mein stand in the case of the second and third).

I'm such an anorak that last time I was in Norwich, I went to visit the site of their previous ground, The Nest, which was in an old quarry, with a sheer cliff behind one goal and terraces perched on the top. You look at it now and can't imagine how they could have fitted a football ground into such a confined space, but that was before the days of our old friends health and safety. And logic. Mind you, the (old) Den and the Dell had some funny angles because they were hemmed in by roads. So, come to think of it, did the Goldstone ....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They were called the chocolate boxes. Then came the family centre in the top right part, then it was a complete stand after the Taylor report.

The whole ground was skewed at both ends,even the sides-amazing you lasted for so long in the top light with it,and funny that since you have had St Mary's you have had an indifferent time

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
The whole ground was skewed at both ends,even the sides-amazing you lasted for so long in the top light with it,and funny that since you have had St Mary's you have had an indifferent time

At the Dell we had Le Tissier but with a small capacity which hindered our spending power. At SMS we had the bigger revenue stream but with a mortgage round our neck. If we get back to the Prem, we'll have the revenue stream but without the dept.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, for the 5 grounds on the original link, the correct answers were:

1. Eastville
2. Hawthorns
3. Turf Moor
4. Belle Vue
5. The Dell

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But what was this one though? Nobody's answered it yet. Is that a cricket or rugby pitch next door?

images

Oct 25, 2003
But what was this one though? Nobody's answered it yet. Is that a cricket or rugby pitch next door?

images

by two guesses are headingly (not a football ground i know) which has the rugby ground connected to the cricket one....or brammall lane which i know use to have some sort of sharing set up with a cricket ground

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My guess would have been Bramall Lane but I think it didn't have the cricket pitch outside, it was the cricket pitch, all in one place. It's definitely not Northampton, as that was a tiny tinpot place, and judging by the rows of red brick terraced houses, I'd guess it was somewhere northern anyway.

Is the Bradford PA answer a guess or a fact, 8ace?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
My guess would have been Bramall Lane but I think it didn't have the cricket pitch outside, it was the cricket pitch, all in one place. It's definitely not Northampton, as that was a tiny tinpot place, and judging by the rows of red brick terraced houses, I'd guess it was somewhere northern anyway.

Is the Bradford PA answer a guess or a fact, 8ace?

FACT :moo:

It was another Archibald Leitch ground.

Is the connection that both grounds had a Pavillion (Once a common feature) Gold?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here