Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name a Sussex born Championship or above quality striker

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Brian Yeo went to Elm Grove School then to West Tarring then on to Portsmouth FC where he didnt make the grade but went to Gillingham and became their record goalscorer. As has been said he lived in Lanfranc Rd and his mother worked in the laundry in Elm Grove with my mother. Worthings most succesful pro has to be Peter Bonnetti although born in Putney spent all his school years in Worthing at St Marys school and lived in Christchurh Rd Bit of useless info when playing football up Victoria Park Peter would never go in goal always said he was better inside right.

Brian's Father worked for the Southdown Bus company in Worthing , if I remember correctly ?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Gareth Barry is a defender

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Pretty sure joe Gatting was born in Brighton and played at least once for us in the championship. Fits all the criteria except quality.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BHAFC have NEVER produced a striker capable of scoring goals above the third division. Even at that level our home-produced strikers have aspired to mediocrity, at best.

F to the A to the C C T.

(I know thats one C too many, but it serves to emphasise)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brian's Father worked for the Southdown Bus company in Worthing , if I remember correctly ?

Not sure didnt know him was his name Vic seem to remember mum talking about him. At the time the best footballer in Worthing was Brian Sirrell (spiv) but never made it in the pro game and Alan Dennis., who didnt make it either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Brian Yeo went to Elm Grove School then to West Tarring then on to Portsmouth FC where he didnt make the grade but went to Gillingham and became their record goalscorer. As has been said he lived in Lanfranc Rd and his mother worked in the laundry in Elm Grove with my mother. Worthings most succesful pro has to be Peter Bonnetti although born in Putney spent all his school years in Worthing at St Marys school and lived in Christchurh Rd Bit of useless info when playing football up Victoria Park Peter would never go in goal always said he was better inside right.

Many of those who saw him deputise in goal for Gordon Banks in the 1970 World Cup semi-final against West Germany, probably agreed that he was a better inside right.

TheDolphinClub

Dec 31, 2015
BHAFC have NEVER produced a striker capable of scoring goals above the third division. Even at that level our home-produced strikers have aspired to mediocrity, at best.

F to the A to the C C T.

(I know thats one C too many, but it serves to emphasise)

Jake Robinson scored three goals in the championship - depends what you mean by 'produced' - Peter Ward, Ian Muir and Dean Saunders started out in our reserve team - do they count?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Jake Robinson scored three goals in the championship - depends what you mean by 'produced' - Peter Ward, Ian Muir and Dean Saunders started out in our reserve team - do they count?

Call me a pedant, but Dean Saunders had three seasons in his native Wales, pleying for Swansea and Cardiff, before he came to the Albion.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't think you can count Greg Luer yet. He may be at a Championship club, but that doesn't make him a Championship quality striker.

That kid Chaplin is one of the few current Pompey players I've heard of. Seems to come on as sub and score a few goals for them, which isn't bad at all for 18. Disappointing to see any player succeeding for those #twats, but particularly if he's from Worthing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

No, they don't count because they were brought in from outside. They did not come up through the ranks at BHA.

Robinson may have played a few games for us in the Championship, but he was never a Championship-quality striker. Left us and sunk without a trace.

:edit: Did Robinson ever actually score in the Championship ? Can't say I can recall that.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Solly March? (although technically classed as a winger)

This is one that does have the potential but he has played well for what 6-7 games so not really made it yet? If we are going to include wingers was Tony Towner Sussex born?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is one that does have the potential but he has played well for what 6-7 games so not really made it yet?

No, they don't count because they were brought in from outside. They did not come up through the ranks at BHA.

Robinson may have played a few games for us in the Championship, but he was never a Championship-quality striker.

Blimey guys. Shifting the goalposts. So its "made it" (ie: An England U21 international with nearly 50 appearances doesn't qualitfy), "Championship quality" (ie: not just having played in the Championship so Jake Robinson or a James Tilley doesn't qualify or come to that matter presumably not Dom Dwyer as an MLS 20+ goal scorer isn't "champ quality". ) and "come up through the ranks" (ie: No Ward, Zamora etc) - so on our books since , well when ? 13, 14 , 15 ?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here