Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mythbusting - Goldstone style

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, I lived in Goldstone Road just by the junction with Goldstone St off Sackville road in the early 80's,... nobody complained, they just knew that for a few hours on match days it was a bit crowded,... so what, we all worked around it.

I suppose the difference is that those people knew when they moved there that there was a football ground on their doorstep, which I suppose can't be said for the residents of Coldean & Moulsecoomb.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I suppose the difference is that those people knew when they moved there that there was a football ground on their doorstep, which I suppose can't be said for the residents of Coldean & Moulsecoomb.

In about 20 years time it can. (Possibly sooner. I don't know what the average time people spend in one house is - just that single handedly, I bring the average down by quite a bit!) Were all the houses around the Goldstone built after the football ground?

With regard to Coldean and Moulsecoomb, however, now they will also know that there are parking restrictions in place so they don't have to worry about it!

Not sure how we get round it unless there's some negotiation on the restricted area reducing each year until it disappears altogether.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I parked easily enough, usually on the forecourt of Dugard's Engineering factory in a side street off Nevill Road, (probably long gone now, Dugard's not Nevill Road), then a quick pint or two in the Hove Park Tavern, and a brisk five minute walk to the ground in time for kick-off.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thought the wood lice in the bovril were ok the weeds in the open loos good for Wilde life and helped keep the smell down. The chicken run made us harden fans in all weathers.. Loved the goldstone however I have moved on Now. But i still hate Archer and his merry men. I enjoy the Amex even when I only drive past. Look forward to every game.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
1) We did not park easily next to the ground.

ii) We did not leave and have a simple jam free journey home.

c) You did not get a seat on the train.

5) If you ate a pie you're not reading this because it would have killed you!!

4) Yes we watched some great games, but we watched far more cack.

d) For most of the cack, we were over charged.

Anymore?

It was great, it's now part of my/our DNA, I wouldn't change those memories for anything.
That ground has gone someway to making us what we are today.

That doesn't mean I want to go back, compared with what we have now.
And more importantly want we have now shouldn't be compared to our rose tinted memories.

a) You could be in the pub in Shoreham at lunchtime on a sat and suddenly decide to go to the game.
b) Never had any problems parking within 5 mins of the ground - or getting away afterwards
c) The train was close and easy, and so quick, it didn't matter if you got a seat.
d) Don't recall ever eating anything there, let alone a pie
e) It was a dump by the time we left

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
a) You could be in the pub in Shoreham at lunchtime on a sat and suddenly decide to go to the game.
b) Never had any problems parking within 5 mins of the ground - or getting away afterwards
c) The train was close and easy, and so quick, it didn't matter if you got a seat.
d) Don't recall ever eating anything there, let alone a pie
e) It was a dump by the time we left
a) Is that now the same at EVERY ground in our division and above.
b) I remember driving around for ever and a day looking for a space in that area opposite Curry's.
c) closer than part of the stadium complex?
d) bullet dodged!!
e) ay that it was, still in the main...happy days

How come I was the only person ever caught in a traffic jam, leaving the Goldstone.
Surely that's not possible.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
a) Is that now the same at EVERY ground in our division and above.

That may well be true, but that is how it was.

We always parked in that long road almost opposite the greyhound stadium, can't remember what it's called, always seemed to be spaces. Getting away there was usually a queue of a couple of cars to get out on to the road up by the Grenadier, but nothing to speak of.

If I had the option to put the Amex stadium on the old site, that would be grand, but hey-ho.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You'd always get a parking space around Hove Park.....eventually.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I had the option to put the Amex stadium on the old site, that would be grand, but hey-ho.
I think Plooks answers that.

Although if I remember right The Goldstone site is considerably bigger than Falmer.
Something I find so hard to believe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
e) It was not a cauldron of white hot noise. Sometimes it was great, most of the time it wasn't. Just like the Amex.

This. The Amex is comfortably LOUDER on average.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think Plooks answers that.

Although if I remember right The Goldstone site is considerably bigger than Falmer.
Something I find so hard to believe.

The retail site may be, but surely the footprint of just the Goldstone is smaller than the Amex, I'd also be surprised if it wasn't.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This. The Amex is comfortably LOUDER on average.
Maybe yes, but at least in the North Stand we recycled about 30 different songs/chants,.... these days at the Amex its just three.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I always liked the Cornish pasties, sold in the south west food emporium,fresh piping hot,crispy pastry, much better than Greggs, i also liked that there wereso few people there that you could see yourself on monday nights football round-up in the crowd

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
When I first started going in 77 with my uncle jim we parked in sackville road and that was fine but he was a real moaner at 5 mins early. Soo started going on my own. I remember getting squashed a few times. Never had food or drink at the ground and at my age it was impossible for the Albion to play cack. Could have counted the number of games I went that were dreadful on the fingers of one hand and hardly missed a home game 78-84.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The surges in the North stand were awesome, can't remember anyone getting seriously hurt.....health and safety :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here