Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mythbusting - Goldstone style

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
We did not park easily next to the ground.

Used to always get a spot in Lullington or Aldrington Avenue without too much hassle.

ii) We did not leave and have a simple jam free journey home.

I generally did.

c) You did not get a seat on the train.

I lived in Worthing and when I used the train, I rarely had hassle in getting a seat.

5) If you ate a pie you're not reading this because it would have killed you!!

The Goldstone food was generally shite. Not particularly worse than other grounds though.

4) Yes we watched some great games, but we watched far more cack.

Agree. The exception being the late 70's plus 90/91.

d) For most of the cack, we were over charged.

Not overly charged in comparison to other clubs. About on a par. We paid the same for our rubbish as most others.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
1) We did not park easily next to the ground.

ii) We did not leave and have a simple jam free journey home.

Rubbish, once I started driving I could sometimes park in Fonthill Road and 8 times out of 10 in Raneleigh Villas. at the final whistle I could run from the west terrace to the car and be driving along Old Shorham Road by 5pm and home in Bexhill by 6pm and that was before the Brighton bypass, Beddingham overpass, Polegate bypass and Pevensey bypass.

However that was of course with crowds of under 10k

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
1) We did not park easily next to the ground.

Well I parked on the road that runs along Hove park, you could tell how big the crowd was going to be by how far along the road you had to go to find a space, still only a 10 min walk, but at least didn't have to pay for parking!

This is very true.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The traffic jams trying to get north after a game were horrendous when we had a larger crowd (15k+). Trains to mid sussex were often packed to the rafters and that was, of course, after you had been held up trying to get onto the platform or even locked in on the footbridge if things were getting lively.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
12.4(b) The West stand was full of miserable gits.

Oi!Not me;I had a season ticket in the West Stand for years and was only miserable if we were playing shite and that wasn't all the time.
Sat next to the same people season after season,had a laugh and always looked forward to the next game.
Used to bump into some of them at away games too.
Didn't touch the pies unless I was desperate,but the bogs were pretty vile.Usually parked ok near Hove Park and got there a bit earlier than usual if it was a big game.Was living in Reigate and didn't usually have too much of a problem heading north afterwards.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And the residents didn't object to Other People parking in their streets (so long as we didn't block their driveways).

Used to park in Shirley Drive or Wilbury Road (?) I think.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
However that was of course with crowds of under 10k

That's the point. I used to get a lift with my dad in the glory days of the mid-late 70s/early 80s and we generally couldn't get within 20 minutes of the ground. He stopped going in 83 so I wouldn't have an idea what it was like then.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Milk crates :thumbsup:

Can you imagine trying to get into the ground with those these days.

Fans in the pylons for the Ipswich cup game.

I even stood on the roof of the tea hut on the East terrace for the Spurs game the year they got promoted with the Saints in that fixed game and the only abuse I got was from the many Spurs fans in with us on the East Terrace that day.

Health and Safety pah

yep we stood next to some of them ....nobs ...and they made the mistake of saying they were Spurs fans 5 mins later they were gone.
thats the day the match was stopped and the spurs fans started throwing cans on the pitch, I think it was Macallister who went over to calm them down and jokingly was heading the empty can until one came over that was full that floored him

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
My first game at the Goldstone was Walsall in the FA cup 69-70 .

Taken by my father with my sister . Both my sister and I were distressingly ill after eating food served by the East stand Hut .

Haven't eaten a thing purchase at any league ground until the March Palace game at the Amex this year . Won't be making the same mistake for at least another 40 years .

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's the point. I used to get a lift with my dad in the glory days of the mid-late 70s/early 80s and we generally couldn't get within 20 minutes of the ground. He stopped going in 83 so I wouldn't have an idea what it was like then.

Interesting as my Dad always managed to get a space off sackville rd and I cant remember walking much more than 20 mins even in the 'glory' days

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it's because we had 2 seasons at Gillingham and then the Withdean,that's why we looked back at the Goldstone with a teary eye

if we'd moved from the run down Goldstone directly into the Amex,I'm sure it would of been less painful

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
as a 5ft tall teen used to stand in the chicken run, 5 minutes before kick off a 6ft 6 tall bloke would come and stand in front of you (and light up a pipe)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
as a 5ft tall teen used to stand in the chicken run, 5 minutes before kick off a 6ft 6 tall bloke would come and stand in front of you (and light up a pipe)

Haha!

I'm not particularly tall, but I remember once sitting on the east terrace reading the programme until the teams came out. It was quite full, but when I finally stood up, the lady behind me said "OH, for fooks sake!".

Being a gentleman, I let her stand in front of me.

I don't have a pipe!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem there was a special road, for leaving the Goldstone.
It didn't have half a dozen sets of traffic lights on it, and a couple of thousand cars trying to travel on it.

Unless I was the only people who wasn't Bruce Almighty.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

that might have been my old father-in-law he was 6 ' 4'' and smoked condor that usually meant a 6 ' space round him if it was not a top game and he used to park in the lower end of the Drive ........never a problem even in the good days

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
And the residents didn't object to Other People parking in their streets (so long as we didn't block their driveways).

Used to park in Shirley Drive or Wilbury Road (?) I think.

Exactly, I lived in Goldstone Road just by the junction with Goldstone St off Sackville road in the early 80's,... nobody complained, they just knew that for a few hours on match days it was a bit crowded,... so what, we all worked around it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here