Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Myth of Brighton relegating Palace in the 80s?

But you aren't really proving anything? :shrug:

Match by match watch the difference grow in relation to the two Clubs support . Over a 110,000 tickets have been sold for Albion matches this season already when compared to that pile of shite up the road. And to think they tried to claim to having bigger support than us.

Still if you don't like it plenty others do.

Now I'm really confused. I'm sure that you are a consistent fellow who doesn't make mistakes without owning up to them, and I'm trying to fit all of your statements together.

So how does taking 3 points off us on the 18th of April relegate us? Or even contribute to relegating us, since we had already been relegated on the 5th of April?

You've let yourself down there - only two points for a win back in the 80's. Plus you are forgetting the two points we took off you back in December.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
You've let yourself down there - only two points for a win back in the 80's. Plus you are forgetting the two points we took off you back in December.

Oh thank you Major! What a dreadful mistake to make. Good heavens, whatever would I do without you to correct me? :bowdown:

Now you said that it was the 3-0 defeat at Selhurst that relegated us.

So how does taking 2 points off us on the 18th of April relegate us? Or even contribute to relegating us, since we had already been relegated on the 5th of April?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
TheMajor is one slippery fish! Using the dark arts of deflecting attention and bringing up irrelevant details as cover.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Palace were relegated from Division One on the 5th April 1981 after results involving other teams went against them. Their previous game was a 1-0 defeat away to Man Utd on the 4th April.

You were actually relegated by that Man Utd game. There were no Div 1 games on the 5th.

table1.JPG

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Thanks for posting that Everest. What is the source?

I would be curious to know as my earlier source was indirect via Wikipedia.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That Palace side were going down even without those defeats to Brighton. Four managers in one season, ten defeats in first eleven league games. It's amazing that they didn't get relegated to the third division, such was the state of the club at the time. With very little money, Alan Mullery did a good job just to keep them in the Second Division for two seasons.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Crystal Palace 1980-1981 Home - statto.com

It gives you day-by-day results and tables, not just for Div 1 but all Divs (apart from The Major)

That's the ticket! Comparing with the previous week, I found that the only results that could have had an impact on Palace being relegated were all on the 4th of April.

These were:

Brighton 0 Arsenal 1

Norwich 2 Man City 0

Leicester 2 Aston Villa 4

Man Utd 1 Palace 0

So I made a mistake, and in fact Palace were relegated on the 4th of April 1981 by Man Utd, and this is confirmed by Dario Gradi's notes in the programme for Birmingham City the following week.

Perhaps TheMajor could do with one last opportunity to refute this and show that his version of events is correct?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
One for the kit spotters (Superphil etc) based on the two clips in this thread.

Palace wearing Admiral in the away fixture but Adidas in the home fixture. Same season no?

Was it a late season - this is what we're wearing next year thing?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
One for the kit spotters (Superphil etc) based on the two clips in this thread.

Palace wearing Admiral in the away fixture but Adidas in the home fixture. Same season no?

Was it a late season - this is what we're wearing next year thing?

In the famous incident in September 1980, when Clive Allen's 'goal' against Coventry was disallowed, Palace were wearing their Adidas white shirts with the sash. Not sure why they played in that yellow Admiral kit at the Goldstone as their home kit did not clash with Brighton's all-blue outfit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thank you Major, I remember it well although not surprisingly my recollections are a little different from yours.

It's not clear to me which part of your post is evidence for your statement "our 3-0 win which relegated them from Div 1".

You see, I had the obviously mistaken impression that Palace were relegated on the 5th of April, the day after losing at Man Utd. But you say that Palace were relegated by the Brighton game, which took place on the 18th. Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out to me the error in my reasoning here?

your basic error is that you appear to be on the WRONG f***ing BOARD YOU GOON.

Jan 31, 2012
Match by match watch the difference grow in relation to the two Clubs support . Over a 110,000 tickets have been sold for Albion matches this season already when compared to that pile of shite up the road. And to think they tried to claim to having bigger support than us.

Still if you don't like it plenty others do.

You are so gay Major

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here