Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Myth of Brighton relegating Palace in the 80s?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
On the "How racist were albion fans in the 70's" thread, The Major posted the following:

El Presidente said:
I vaguely recall Chris Ramsey being subject to monkey noises from our own fans when he made his debut for the Albion at Selhurst, which was wrong on an awful lot of levels.
The Major said:
Are you referring to our 3-0 win which relegated them from Div 1 in 1982? If so all the racial abuse came from Palace that day.

The Major's inaccuracy regarding the racial abuse has been addressed on that thread. As his other allegations have the aroma of myth about them, I felt that a separate thread to discuss whether Brighton relegated Palace in 1982 was appropriate.

When I look back at my programmes for the season 1980-1981, I find the following:

Palace were relegated from Division One on the 5th April 1981 after results involving other teams went against them. Their previous game was a 1-0 defeat away to Man Utd on the 4th April.

The 3-0 defeat by Brighton and Hove Albion was two games later, on the 18th of April 1981.

This is verified by Smailes, Gordon (2000). The Breedon Book of Football Records. Derby: Breedon Books. pp. 146.

So what is the case for Brighton relegating Palace in the 1980s?

Last edited:

On the "How racist were albion fans in the 70's" thread, The Major posted the following:

The Major's inaccuracy regarding the racial abuse has been addressed on that thread. As his other allegations have the aroma of myth about them, I felt that a separate thread to discuss whether Brighton relegated Palace in 1982 was appropriate.

When I look back at my programmes for the season 1980-1981, I find the following:

Palace were relegated from Division One on the 5th April 1981 after results involving other teams went against them. Their previous game was a 1-0 defeat away to Man Utd on the 4th April.

The 3-0 defeat by Brighton and Hove Albion was two games later, on the 18th of April 1981.

This is verified by Smailes, Gordon (2000). The Breedon Book of Football Records. Derby: Breedon Books. pp. 146.

So what is the case for Brighton relegating Palace in the 1980s?

I was there (so was El Presidente apparently) . It was 1981 and we humiliated you 3-0 at Selhurst - sending you out of Division One. We then went on to win our next three games and escape relegation by the skin of our teeth.

Marvellous scenes (apart from some terrible racist chanting/abuse aimed at Chris Ramsey by Palace scum. Chris responded magnificently by smiling at them and holding up three fingers on one hand and making a nought with the fingers on the otherhand. This further enraged the brainless Palace who tried to jump onto the pitch).

This followed on from our 3-2 home win at the Goldstone against the shite back in December of that season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Was that the team of the 80s' ? (Someone might have to remind the kids on here)
Mind you they never said what division they would be in.

Yes, it was. More classic footage of Brighton v The Team of the '80s:

Brighton 3-2 Crystal Palace 1980/81 - YouTube

This was the match earlier on in the season when Brighton won 3-2. Keeper John Phillips' only game for the Seagulls.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I was there (so was El Presidente apparently) . It was 1981 and we humiliated you 3-0 at Selhurst - sending you out of Division One. We then went on to win our next three games and escape relegation by the skin of our teeth.

Marvellous scenes (apart from some terrible racist chanting/abuse aimed at Chris Ramsey by Palace scum. Chris responded magnificently by smiling at them and holding up three fingers on one hand and making a nought with the fingers on the otherhand. This further enraged the brainless Palace who tried to jump onto the pitch).

This followed on from our 3-2 home win at the Goldstone against the shite back in December of that season.

Thank you Major, I remember it well although not surprisingly my recollections are a little different from yours.

It's not clear to me which part of your post is evidence for your statement "our 3-0 win which relegated them from Div 1".

You see, I had the obviously mistaken impression that Palace were relegated on the 5th of April, the day after losing at Man Utd. But you say that Palace were relegated by the Brighton game, which took place on the 18th. Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out to me the error in my reasoning here?

Self proclaimed team of the eighties.
Self proclaimed 3rd best player on the planet.

Times don't change do they ?:ffsparr:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Palace were definitely already relegated, and had been so for a while, as they only had six wins all season with the 'Team of the 80's'. I was certainly there, and at the match at Roker Park a week later with about 80 others when a last minute Gary Williams goal took us out of the relegation zone.

Think The Major is rewriting some history, also with regards to the Neanderthal racist chanting, which came from both sets of fans.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Del Fenner, do you frequent the Crystal Palace boards by any chance? Do any Palace fans there have large collections of vintage footage? I know there are a few Brighton-Palace games that were televised in the 1970s (drawn matches) that I've been trying to get hold of....

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Self proclaimed team of the eighties.
Self proclaimed 3rd best player on the planet.

Times don't change do they ?:ffsparr:

Sorry Major, I don't follow your banter old man. How does this support your allegation that Brighton relegated Palace by beating them in that match?

Palace were definitely already relegated, and had been so for a while, as they only had six wins all season with the 'Team of the 80's'. I was certainly there, and at the match at Roker Park a week later with about 80 others when a last minute Gary Williams goal took us out of the relegation zone.

Think The Major is rewriting some history, also with regards to the Neanderthal racist chanting, which came from both sets of fans.

I tell it as I see it - can't remember any racist chanting directed at Chris Ramsey from Albion fans. You seemed to have gone from "vague memories" in the racist thread to having clear defined ideas now - still anything to cosy up to Palace eh?

As for relegating Palace - of course we relegated them - anyone who took points off em that season relegated them.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
As for relegating Palace - of course we relegated them - anyone who took points off em that season relegated them.

Christ, you really are desperate aren't you?

You lied. Fess up to it and move on.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Del Fenner, do you frequent the Crystal Palace boards by any chance? Do any Palace fans there have large collections of vintage footage? I know there are a few Brighton-Palace games that were televised in the 1970s (drawn matches) that I've been trying to get hold of....
PM sent.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I don't understand The Major's signature. Is he adding each attendance up one by one? Surely an AVERAGE over the course of the season would be better, as I very much doubt on any given day we'd have a chance of selling 110,000 more tickets than them up the road.

I don't understand The Major's signature. Is he adding each attendance up one by one? Surely an AVERAGE over the course of the season would be better, as I very much doubt on any given day we'd have a chance of selling 110,000 more tickets than them up the road.

Do you really not understand it FFA ? It's hardly rocket science?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

Now I'm really confused. I'm sure that you are a consistent fellow who doesn't make mistakes without owning up to them, and I'm trying to fit all of your statements together.

So how does taking 3 points off us on the 18th of April relegate us? Or even contribute to relegating us, since we had already been relegated on the 5th of April?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here