Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My Wife has decided we are going for a day out in Littlehampton....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I went along to the Durch Bike shop last summer - and had a very nice walk along the front - and made a note to come back this summer.

We sometimes used to drive acoss to Littlehampton when we were young as one of the few sandy beaches around.

Remember the Micky Mouse (was it called that) roller-coaster ?

that roller coaster was a f***ing nightmare!! mouse trap??

althought the town is shit, used to love going to the beach as a little kid.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Unbelievable I was going to tarnish the East Beach Cafe on here later, we did do there for lunch after wandering around Norfolk Gardens it is a funny shaped building we wandered in, and were told we would have to book, on a Monday for lunch!!

so are you saying ..........................

LA proved too much for the man ...........

(join in everybody) ..................

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• Butlins_amusement_park,_Littlehampton,_c1955.jpg
    Butlins_amusement_park,_Littlehampton,_c1955.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 473

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Too much for the man...he couldn't make it (do you mind my being a pip?)

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Yeah where did the old rickety Roller Coaster go??
The Wild Mouse was taken down in 1987 and replaced with a newer coaster which was eventually moved when the building was demolished to make way for a new one.The newer coaster was eventually pulled down and it is now in an amusment park in the North East somewhere.The original Wild Mouse is now in Australia.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why do people insist on telling me I must get a job I don't need one I don't claim benefits or beg on street corners and I am just discussing a day out I had in Littlehampton .........blimey!!!

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I was going to point a laugh, loudly, at this thread, as potentially the funniest thread title EVER.
But that wouldn't necessarily be fair.
The river and seafront are both fine, and do serve a purpose. Sadly for L'ton the further into it you get the worse it becomes, it's very much an 'end of the line' town.

If you were by the river just after 1 and 3 lycra clad loonies came past, on their bikes, I would have been one of them!.

It was with a certain amount of trepidation that I opened this thread, expecting Littlehampton to get torn to shreds by the venerable folk of NSC, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of you haven't fallen for the (unfair, in my opinion) stereotype that it has.

I'm quite protective of LA having lived here all my life (35+ years), going through all the schools etc, and am now raising two children in the town. Whilst it undoubtedly has some bad points, I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. The beaches and, in particular, the river set it aside from most other south coast towns which just blend into one long conurbation between here and Brighton.

The town centre is pretty run down, but that is the same for most places at the moment and, in our case, is largely because most of the effort/funding has gone into keeping the riverside and seafront up to scratch. There is a lot of debate at the moment about the need to create a better pedestrian link between the town and beach to rejuvinate the centre. We're only 10mins from Arundel and the downs, 45mins from Brighton and sometimes as little as 80mins by train from London, so in terms of location I think it's quite nicely situated.

The other thing that should get you onside is that LA is the last bastion of Albion support before Pompey start taking over. The day LA becomes Pompey is the day we really need to start worrying about our fan base, and I'm sorry to say that that day is drawing ever nearer.

Oh, and as for the Wild Mouse ride I seem to recall a fatal accident years and years ago which ultimately led to it's demise, although this could have been a 'urban legend' going around when I was at school!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
because you ARE a pretentious PRICK. you look down your fuckin nose at everyone that 'cant afford to live in central brighton old boy'.
you look down your fuckin nose at those of us with a job because 'i dont need to work'.
youre always starting 'look at me threads'.
you always seem to point out that 'im going somewhere because i dont need to work' and expect people to be fuckin interested'

it short...you are one ODIOUS little man......f*** off
wanker

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
The 'scare factor' of The Wild Mouse ride was whether your car would stay on the tracks or not!
LA seems to me more Pompey than when I grew up there- glad Roadrunner thinks it's still 'Albion'.
Oh, Roadrunner- 35+years - we were probably around the same year at school- Flora Mac?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
because you ARE a pretentious PRICK. you look down your fuckin nose at everyone that 'cant afford to live in central brighton old boy'.
you look down your fuckin nose at those of us with a job because 'i dont need to work'.
youre always starting 'look at me threads'.
you always seem to point out that 'im going somewhere because i dont need to work' and expect people to be fuckin interested'

it short...you are one ODIOUS little man......f*** off
wanker
u mad?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You may not need the money, but its sounds like you need the sense of sel-worth and self-respect that being a useful, active and contributing member of society brings.

Having a job isn't always all about about needing the money.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
You could always visit the venues from the littlehampton olympic bid:

[yt]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsTaojKpoyQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsTaojKpoyQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/yt]

Thanks for that - the funniest thing on here since the 'Having a poo at work' thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
The 'scare factor' of The Wild Mouse ride was whether your car would stay on the tracks or not!
LA seems to me more Pompey than when I grew up there- glad Roadrunner thinks it's still 'Albion'.
Oh, Roadrunner- 35+years - we were probably around the same year at school- Flora Mac?

Arch rivals - Connaught! LA is still just about 'Albion' - the River Arun has always been the traditional boundary - but there are more and more Pompey as time goes by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here