My review of Charlie Oatway: Tackling Life

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'One question which remains unanswered is whether or not, as rumour has it, Cheeky Charlie was involved in the teen gang which smashed up the Blue Peter garden. Which is a shame, not least because it would have further elevated the uncompromising coach to yet further heights of legend'

Err care to explain further.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think you're spot on there with the comment about it being a shame it's a short book, but in the same way that will attract a lot of people to read it that wouldn't perhaps go near a 500 page beast

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
'One question which remains unanswered is whether or not, as rumour has it, Cheeky Charlie was involved in the teen gang which smashed up the Blue Peter garden. Which is a shame, not least because it would have further elevated the uncompromising coach to yet further heights of legend'

Err care to explain further.

Did he hang around with Les Ferdindand then, because I thought everyone knew he'd confessed to the BP trashing. Unless, that's an urban myth too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did he hang around with Les Ferdindand then, because I thought everyone knew he'd confessed to the BP trashing. Unless, that's an urban myth too.
I'm more confused as to how an act of mindless vandalism propels you into the same class as Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Jordan, and Nelson Mandela.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nice review.

I'd like to think if the book is a success Charlie may revisit it and fill in the gaps in a longer edition. It's a fascinating story and well worth reading.

#1 Amazon reviewer

Feb 24, 2011
My review...

Short, but sweet (the book, not Charlie)
In 'Tackling Life', Charlie Oatway takes us through his colourful life, from his crime-filled childhood in west London to his career playing - and now coaching - at leading south coast football club, Brighton & Hove Albion. It's a tale of toe-rag to pitches.

Charlie is a poster child for the club's community and education programme, so I'm sure some fans will be shocked at some of the revelations here. But Charlie's "slightly dodgy upbringing" is certainly something this reader can identify with. At my local comprehensive, I was once caught up in a particularly nasty playground fight. Eight onto one, it was - but we got the little tyke in the end.

Oatway spent some time in Pentonville but, as a combative midfielder, he took no prisoners on the pitch. The same can be said of his prose. At one point, he launches a scathing attack on the education authorities of the 80s. "I don't think this sort of thing would happen nowadays," rages Charlie. "But I may be wrong".

Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James Oatway (to give him his full name) is, ironically, a man of few words. But they're very big. In fact they're presented here in 16pt type. Great news for granny: you won't need your magnifying glass for this one.

My football-mad five-year-old son is loving it; enthusiastically ripping out pages as I type - behaviour which little Charlie Oatway would surely have been proud.

So I guess you could say 'Tackling Life' is one for all the family.

It's already broken into the Amazon Top 100 best-sellers (albeit briefly, one Thursday), and it's sure to be a big hit in prison libraries across the country - certainly with his nephew and friend who are currently doing time for murder.

Ok, so Oatway is no Shakespeare, Steinbeck or even Rowling. But could 'Billy' Shakespeare breakdance? No. Did John-boy ever pick-up a Second Division championship medal, or even grasp what proper footie is all about? No. Has the Harry Potter author ever showered with a dozen or more naked men? I'd guess not.

At 104 pages (well, fewer than 80 now that my boy's been at it), this is a short autobiography. I can only assume it's been released as some kind of teaser, with a series of Tolkienesque-sized tomes planned for the future.

Needless to say, I look forward to reading the full, unabridged story. And I'm left wondering who will play the lower-league legend in the inevitable Hollywood adaptation. Danny Dyer, anyone?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I may be bias, but I don't think much of that review by #1 Amazon Reviewer.

Seems to completely miss the point of a) Charlie's reputation, and b) the point of Quick Read books.

Out of interest, did everyone else who read it enjoy it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Having read it, I'm just wondering if he got his Chesterfield matches mixed up? I know it kicked off after the 2-2 home draw just before Christmas 2001 - everyone piled into that one, apparently. Charlie, Chippy, Michel, Dodge, Booker, Taylor...

Unless it kicked off TWICE (after the Fourth Division home match, and after the Third Division home match) of course.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Liked the ireland tour bit. Good way to while away a couple of hours.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Well done Ritchie.

A good review, in unpatronising tones, unlike the one above which, frankly, is someone trying to show off, and failing dismally.

Cuffs

Jan 29, 2010
I enjoyed the book which was complete in a two sittings. It is what it is, a short book about Charlie and his progression through life. If you like Charlie/Albion and dont like reading much this is the book for you. Dont expect a master piece.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports