Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My poor wife

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I quite understand and wasn't alluding that you may be referring to your wife. In fact your description suggests it might be my girlfriend. Was the rat crying?

The rat was running away - and I didn't think for a minute that there was any suggestion I was beating my wife up...... she'd fight back.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Adder has a pale coloured y on it's head, the other native snake, the grass snake which is not poisonous doesn't. Without looking at their heads side by side it's difficult to tell the difference. Then there are the nutters that keep poisonous snakes from other countries in their homes, nuff said.
I first came across an Adder when I was about 12. I attended a photography course at an adult higher education house in Hassocks, run by as was Sussex Education Committee. It was a residential course over a weekend, quite an adventure for someone my age.
After learning all about stops and f numbers they wheeled out the star turn. He was introduced as a famous German wildlife photographer, I don't remember his name, I wish I did in the light of subsequent events.
He decided to take us onto the escarpment of the Downs which was only a short walk away, there we were snapping away at the odd wild flower and the usual stuff that's on the Downs which was extremely familiar to me. The wildlife expert then started finding stuff that snakes took to hiding under and doing whatever they do under the lumps of chalk or clumps of grass.
On pulling one of these covers aside he uttered a triumphant, " Are here ist zee Adder." All this takes place with a comedy German accent. Cameras , box brownies and other low tech stuff that we had in the 50's started clicking away.
The snake wasn't doing much just laying there, bothering no one. He then described the way to tell Zee adder from zee grass snake, with the Y on the head thing.
He then said...." Unt ziss ist the vay to pick up zee snake". Demonstrating what we now know to be completely the wrong way, with the thumb and forefinger behind the head of the snake.
With that he reached down to pick up the snake........... Arghhh, he exclaimed as the Adder latched onto his thumb. he shook it off and sat down, he had gone quite pale. One of the other adult instructors then took over and ushered us away, to find our own way back to the School. As we left, this other adult was helping him to his feet and warning him not to run, but walk slowly, so as not to distribute the poison round his body too quickly. We had a nice walk back, unfortunately we found it difficult to stop laughing. I still do today when I think about photography and snakes.
We heard later that he fully recovered, he probably left the country soon after to pick up with his profession of photographing less harmful wildlife in Africa.

Get well soon Mrs W.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How on earth did an adder get into her front room? They are usually incredibly timid creatures so you'd have thought it would go nowhere near someone's house! I've only seen one twice. Once saw one sunbathing on our patio when I was a kid living in Newick, and as soon as it saw us it couldn't escape quickly enough. The second time was in Bracknell forest 5 years ago and again it wanted nothing to do with human contact.

How could you tell that it was the same snake that you saw twice? Isn't it more likely that the 2nd one was probably one that just looked similar to the first one you saw.

Get well soon Mrs W

Sorry to hear, hope she recovers!

When I was a teenager (ahem) my brother and I used to play rebound and had many 5-a-side games at Monk's Park Lancing. One time we were sitting on the Culver Road ground wall of Lancing FC. Just happened to look down before jumping and there below us was an adder coiled up on a piece of corrugated iron. That was lucky, later the Police removed it with one of those special sticks. Despite the fact we would have been trespassing, we got a mild telling off. Apologies to Lancing FC sorry for that!
:blush:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
is there such a snake as a puff adder or is that someone who farts in the bath and counts the bubbles?

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
My girlfriend quite often has trouble with trouser snakes, it once spat venom in her eye... You should keep an eye out for these especially at this time of year...

My boyfriend was bitten on his trouser snake by the dog and the swelling lasted for weeks. I've never been more satisfied! He blamed it on the dog but i have my doubts. A Vicar's life is never boring. Don't get the wrong impression, nothing strange about our relationship with the dog as we don't wear clothes around the house (or garden) in this hot weather. I think poor Bow Wow thought a sausage had fallen off the BBQ

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Yesterday she was visiting a poorly friend of hers when her friends dog started making all sorts of strange noises ....they went into the front room and spotted a snake diving behind a unit.

They moved the unit and as she works in a school, she is used to handling snakes, so she put garden gloves on and went to pick it up to put it outside....it bit her through the gloves!

Turned out it was an ADDER!

She is in hospital now having been told to call 999 and getting an ambulance!

Her finger has blown up to twice its size and the swelling spread up her arm..it looked really red and swollen and has two puncture marks on her finger.

Be careful out there...it's a jungle:down:

Hows the snake

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
How on earth did an adder get into her front room? They are usually incredibly timid creatures so you'd have thought it would go nowhere near someone's house! I've only seen one twice. Once saw one sunbathing on our patio when I was a kid living in Newick, and as soon as it saw us it couldn't escape quickly enough. The second time was in Bracknell forest 5 years ago and again it wanted nothing to do with human contact.

Did you offer to rub its back with suntan lotion before it fled?

The animals are taking over. I heard a story the other day about a woman who was sitting down and in walked a fox cub. It took her ages to get it out of the house. I can't remember what happened next. I think it must have gone in to the garden.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hows the snake

No idea..her friends son took it and released it up on the downs behind her house.

The mrs's hand is now all puffed up and turning black ..looks a pretty colour!

We have been told that if it gets bad to rush back to hospital to have it " flushed". Eeeeek

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hopefully shot with an air rifle. Horrible blighter.

It's a criminal offence to kill an adder - they're protected under the Wildlife and Country Act. The son did the right thing releasing it into the wild. Really weird that it came into the house though, they're normally shy.

Hope your missus is on the mend, Dave

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Btw her friends son came around and managed to get the snake into a recycling box and released it on the downs behind the house.
Shame, would have made a nice purse, and a story to go with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here