Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My mother and John Prescott

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Respect due to my mum...

She was shopping in Newcastle on Saturday, and was sitting having a coffee with her sister when someone mentioned that John Prescott was outside. She asked where he was going and found out he was doing a press conference later that day. Thinking to herself that her husband and son would never forgive her if she passed up the chance, she trooped along and asked Prescott's PA if she'd be able to ask him a question at the end.

Then it went something like this:

PA: Yes, can I ask what it's about?

Mum: Well, it's not exactly local...it's about Brighton's new stadium...

PA: I don't believe it...you people are everywhere.

Mum: But I can ask him?

PA: Erm...yes, of course...

[Time passes. Eventually the last of the hangers on moves away from JP.]

Mum (to JP): Excuse me, do you mind if I ask you a question?

JP (expecting some question about school closures in Northumberland, or such like): Yes, of course.

Mum: When are you going to make a decision on Brighton's new stadium?

Prezza was obviously taken aback, but very courteous with it, and told her that "the Minister will be announcing the decision shortly". Apparently he didn't give any clue as to what the decision would be, and of course "shortly" could mean any time between now and 2007, but then you wouldn't expect him to give anything away in advance of the announcement.

On the plus side, the awareness-raising initiatives from NSC and others have obviously had an effect, and Mum could tell that he was personally familiar with the case - which is no small achievement, given the number of planning decisions he is responsible for. And, as Mum was leaving, Prescott remarked to her on the amount of correspondence he'd had from supporters - "I got a great big Valentines card from 'em, you know..."

Anyway, nothing new to report really, but fair play to my mum for making the effort, and it's always good to remind JP that Falmer matters a great deal to a lot of people, in Sussex and beyond.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
that is GENIoS! Well Done to your Mother, truly a Great Lady :clap:

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Quality.

SOL's mum - another name to add to the Falmer Hall Of Heroes when we eventually get it dedicated to all those who made it happen!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Josky said:
Quality.

SOL's mum - another name to add to the Falmer Hall Of Heroes when we eventually get it dedicated to all those who made it happen!

If we really did that the hall would be bigger than the stadium! :lolol:

:clap2: to SoL's mum.

A lovely lady, I thought, when I met her in the pub on the day of the Plymouth televised game. She must be pretty tolerant, after all - having had years in which the men in her life think of little more than the Albion! ;)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good on SoL's mum. Mine would never think to do anything like that...bless her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here