Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] My apologies to Harveys brewery

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It was and still is called Blackboys because it was named after the lads who worked In the charcoal industries of Wealden Sussex. Not racist, just black with charcoal dust.

TNBA

TTF

Our "The Black Boy" Shepherd Neame pub here in Sevenoaks, was renamed during the BLM protests, now called The Restoration.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's the carpets isn't it :mad:

Seriously though, they're basically for students/graduates and old people who want cheap beer at 8am. Since until recently I was a student/graduate with the mind of an old person they're right up my alley.

The beer's normally fine, they generally serve some vaguely interesting "local" stuff. I've had Doom Bar a few times when a cider drinking friend's been ordering for me and panicked, and I simply can't remember anything about it. It's a brown liquid, I think?

everyone loves to talk down the 'spoons overlooking the range of local and not so local ales they usually have. practically a different range every time, brews wouldnt otherwise get hold of.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Having worked previously worked for Molson Coors who own Sharps Brewery I will correct you that there is no way on earth it is stored outside. Added to that it is one of the easiest ale to keep on the market. The second fermentation is very short. It is now brewed that many of the proteins are removed allowing it to be chilled down without getting a chill haze.

The success of DoomBar is that it so easy to keep.

I did say apparently but I should have known better than state something that is just an opinion that is very common down here.
I should have learnt really because every year the beast of Bodmin is spotted on the moor but never been seen yet everyone says it exists.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Having worked previously worked for Molson Coors who own Sharps Brewery I will correct you that there is no way on earth it is stored outside. Added to that it is one of the easiest ale to keep on the market. The second fermentation is very short. It is now brewed that many of the proteins are removed allowing it to be chilled down without getting a chill haze.

The success of DoomBar is that it so easy to keep.

Thanks, that’s useful to know. Good to have a safe bet. Any other safe bets?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I'm was going to order a few bottles of best from the Harvey's shop for the Euros and then I noticed
They do"Southdown harvest".

I don't usually venture away from Sussex best but I'm thinking about trying this one.

Has anyone tried "southdown harvest" and if so how does it compare to "Sussex best" please?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I'm was going to order a few bottles of best from the Harvey's shop for the Euros and then I noticed
They do"Southdown harvest".

I don't usually venture away from Sussex best but I'm thinking about trying this one.

Has anyone tried "southdown harvest" and if so how does it compare to "Sussex best" please?

Just buy one and find out.

For that matter, buy half a dozen in case it's an acquired taste.

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Harvey's is bloody disgusting. Don't know why anyone would pay to drink that shite and also get so upset and defensive when people say its awful. Strange.

My wife would agree with you. She hates me drinking Harvey’s Best Bitter as I apparently smell odd ‘it’s doesn’t suit you’. Don’t get that reaction with other beers. It doesn’t stop me. I love a fresh pint of Harvey’s.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Harveys "Best Bitter" at its best is great......However it seems it is not the easiest of Beers to look after. The Lewes Arms, The Brewers and the Swan (southover) can be relied on. Sadly the Amex Harveys ranges from awful to ok.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Harveys "Best Bitter" at its best is great......However it seems it is not the easiest of Beers to look after. The Lewes Arms, The Brewers and the Swan (southover) can be relied on. Sadly the Amex Harveys ranges from awful to ok.

I have to agree here, after drinking Harvey’s in Lewes pubs I cannot drink it at the Amex.
All very good pubs you have mentioned, I will add the John Harvey.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My wife would agree with you. She hates me drinking Harvey’s Best Bitter as I apparently smell odd ‘it’s doesn’t suit you’. Don’t get that reaction with other beers. It doesn’t stop me. I love a fresh pint of Harvey’s.

:lolol:
Doesn’t suit you :) what does she mean by this?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Harvey's is bloody disgusting. Don't know why anyone would pay to drink that shite and also get so upset and defensive when people say its awful. Strange.

That was the point of the thread, do you mean all Harvey's or just best, i'm not really a bitter drinker but I thought it was 'orrible but the IPA that I had in The Blackboys was really good in my opinion.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Even " At its Best " it's pretty boring and you are right, some people get ever so defensive about it. Almost like " It was good enough for my Father and my Grandfather so it's good enough for me. " it's just a case of being scared of all these nice new Hops....

I'm sure there are regulars in Lewes who sit in the same place at the bar and have 3 pints of Harvey's every night then go home as miserable as sin having done their penance.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Our "The Black Boy" Shepherd Neame pub here in Sevenoaks, was renamed during the BLM protests, now called The Restoration.

I played Bar Billiards in this one many moons ago
Closed around 1980, and converted into an Indian Restaurant

the-labour-in-vain-pub-in-westergate-near-bognor-west-sussex-with-KT0TGK.jpg

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Even " At its Best " it's pretty boring and you are right, some people get ever so defensive about it. Almost like " It was good enough for my Father and my Grandfather so it's good enough for me. " it's just a case of being scared of all these nice new Hops....

I'm sure there are regulars in Lewes who sit in the same place at the bar and have 3 pints of Harvey's every night then go home as miserable as sin having done their penance.

I, for one, just like the stuff :shrug:

I'm not such an antediluvian twatblast that I can't cope with trying other beers or new things. What beers do you like/recommend?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here