Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Musk’s Neurolink Chip

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Months after Musk says AI poses a major threat to humanity, a chip is planted in a human brain to enable a neurolink to computors/devices

Great for severely disabled people who suffer from motorneuron diseases to log into X but ethically?

Could we see a day when an enhanced human brain can be hacked?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't know how exactly his neuralink works but I used to live with an Italian PHD student who had moved to Tokyo to research how to do something similar.

It was fascinating stuff. Although in the hands of the Bond villain-esque Musk it does seem slightly more sinister than my housemates aim of simply giving paraplegics the ability to walk again. I say 'simply' but it's astonishing, incredible science bordering on the edge of magic!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Months after Musk says AI poses a major threat to humanity, a chip is planted in a human brain to enable a neurolink to computors/devices

Great for severely disabled people who suffer from motorneuron diseases to log into X but ethically?

A shed load of human brains were hacked for Brexit.

(Sorry. Couldn’t resist it.)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Doesn't seem that big a story. Imagine if it was Bill Gates behind this one !
Imagine if it had been someone else who started this thread …🙄

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given the absolute roaring success that Twitter has been since he took it over, this can only end well

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don't know how exactly his neuralink works but I used to live with an Italian PHD student who had moved to Tokyo to research how to do something similar.

It was fascinating stuff. Although in the hands of the Bond villain-esque Musk it does seem slightly more sinister than my housemates aim of simply giving paraplegics the ability to walk again. I say 'simply' but it's astonishing, incredible science bordering on the edge of magic!
Yes, he has made it clear where he wants to go with this:

‘Musk’s ultimate goal is to create a “general population device” that can directly link human minds to supercomputers, potentially bridging the gap with artificial intelligence.’

I find it fascinating as well as triggering some ethical red flags.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This isn’t about a conspiracy theory, it is about research and something that has actually been achieved, implanting AI technology into the human brain to link up with computer technology - there are just some questionable ethical issues around it and where it could lead in terms of application.

Yes, I know.

:rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This isn’t about a conspiracy theory, it is about research and something that has actually been achieved, implanting AI technology into the human brain to link up with computer technology - there are just some questionable ethical issues around it and where it could lead in terms of application.

there is no AI here. its body augmentation, applied to the brain. the implication in the other (3yr old) article is that this type of interface would be necessary to link up with sophisticated AI systems, to keep up with them. its doesnt need this link to be useful though.

will highlight his and others fears of AI are based around pulling up the draw bridge to protect their business from newcomers. none of them are stopping work on AI, nor are they anywhere near Artifical General Inteligence.

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I'm not sure that its unethical. I suppose there might be groups who think is unnatural and therefore be against it, but again its not actually unethical.

As this technology develops the possibility of being hacked will undoubtedly increase, but the impact of that is hard to predict. If the technology is there to be used as a tool, ie to navigate menu's or operate systems via your thoughts I would think being hacked would be more on the inconvenient side of things. Where as if the technology is used to augment your perception of things, then i guess thats where it would become more sinister if were to be hacked.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Reading some of your posts feels like you’ve definitely hacked my brain 😉

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Great. Something else for me to worry about.
1706631156013.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

A lot of sub optimum brains have been hacked in the last 15 years
You can do it with a paper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here