Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Musical Instruments Thread

Incidentally there are apps for mobile, many free ones, showing chord patterns and scales for guitar.
You can hear the chord as it sounds played too.
Guitar Lessons, Blues Lessons, Solo Lessons
Jam Box,
Chord! Free.

Handy if you want to learn more chords and the names of them, and very portable for when you want to sit in the garden and strum, or wherever you happen to be with a guitar. Of course it'll help you tune the guitar as well.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Guitar and voice. Bit of ukulele. Delusions of harmonica.
Mainly a Johnson folk acoustic and an Epiphone semi-acoustic.
Would like to learn piano - youngest is making rapid strides currently.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Okay, I bet there are a few NSC'ers who dabble, pick, tinkle and bash away at a musical instrument now and again.
What are you players playing? What's hot and what's not?
Demo videos, classic examples, what have you got and what are you hoping to get some day?

Here's a chap playing a guitar I would like to own....or at least, realistically, some version or semblence in the Gibson Les Paul line of guitars;

[yt]bINgVykAodI[/yt]

p.s. some might spot a little exerpt from a Peter Green riff in Joe B's noodling!

I used to have a very good Japanese Les Paul copy a long time ago. Finally got rid of it when it needed refretting. I gave it away to a mate who though it was worth doing.

I now have a Fender Strat which I brought to Cyprus with me when I moved. I wouldn't claim ro be any good though. I can also play keyboard, but don't have one atm, and I played trombone when I was at school.

Tenngull

Sep 15, 2003
Tennessee
My 'playroom'! With the magic that is 'Garageband' I can play with myself for hours on end!:guitar:

playroom.jpg

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
I play a lot of Heavy Metal, so naturally I have guitars to suit, I have an old Les Paul copy but its been tinkered with to get a higher gain from the Pups, its strung with 11 gauge strings and when put through my Overdrive and Reverb pedals, produces a fantastic sound, it just looks abused.
I also have a Dean ML Phantom fitted with EMG 81/85 pups and a floyd rose, its a monster.

386261_10150484592351749_627996748_8703226_189965960_n.jpg

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I have ten guitars/basses. Including a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Standard like the one in the first video clip. I also have a Gibson SG Special, A Macaferri gypsy jazz acoustic, an Adam Black electro acoustic, Ibanez Roadster, Ibanez Semi-Acoustic, Fender Jazz Bass (fretless), Ibanez Blazer Bass with active EMG pickups, Hohner fretless stick bass, and a Traben Neo five string bass.

I also have twenty arms.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Same here. Bass is the easy way into music/a band for those of us too lazy to bother with a real guitar!

Stop perpetuating the stereotype.

Drives me mental when people, especially fellow bass players, write the instrument off as "an easier guitar". It's not. I'll admit it's easier to pick up and churn out a dull root note bass line but to actually play the damn thing well it requires just as much skill as any other instrument.

Last edited:

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton

Drives me mental when people, especially fellow bass players, write the instrument off as "an easier guitar". It's not. I'll admit it's easier to pick up and churn out a dull root note bass line but to actually play the damn thing well it requires just as much skill than any other instrument.

Well said.

Wickerman

Aug 24, 2011
Horam
I've just ordered a Harpejji. It's a real unique hand made instrument. Mine is going to take 97 days to build. I'm also going to be the sole demo person for the UK when I receive it so if anyone is intetested just PM me.
Because I haven't posted enough yet I cannot add links here but just go to Marcodi dot com or type harpejji into Youtube to see what it's all about.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...

Drives me mental when people, especially fellow bass players, write the instrument off as "an easier guitar". It's not. I'll admit it's easier to pick up and churn out a dull root note bass line but to actually play the damn thing well it requires just as much skill as any other instrument.

But if I try to explain that I am also musically talented, I just get shouted down by an arrogant guitarist and a crazed drummer (who incidentally believes that he is god's gift to music)...I play mainly metal-ish stuff, which is very hard...the musical area which requires the least effort and talent is singing...

I've just ordered a Harpejji. It's a real unique hand made instrument. Mine is going to take 97 days to build. I'm also going to be the sole demo person for the UK when I receive it so if anyone is intetested just PM me.
Because I haven't posted enough yet I cannot add links here but just go to Marcodi dot com or type harpejji into Youtube to see what it's all about.

Cool instrument, it must take a while to figure out.
Off the youtube link for it though, I stumbled across this monster.... like nothing I've ever seen before anyway;

[yt]_XPfoFZYso8[/yt]

Okay, I have watched about an hour or more about this instrument, and particularly like the Dido video that features one (highly).
For my ear, the more effective use of it is in application for very ambient sustained sound.
What I would like to ask you when you try it out, is how does it beat using a guitar (I know the answer to this, because you can have two hands...or more! ...playing the same instrument....but is this effective?)
When compared to, say, a clavinet or synth, can it stand out on its' own as an instrument that deserves a place in a band?
I am thinking that a keyboard with a range of sounds can envelop all that a Harpejji has to offer. Could this be correct?
Could it be applied in an orchestra?
Is this instrument very different from the Chapman Stick?
Is it simpler to learn and play than instruments it could take the place of?

I imagine you might have a checklist that's more comprehensive than that, but I'm interested to know what you think about it anyway.

[yt]uG5HtBL-2vs[/yt]

Last edited:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I have a Fender Strat and an Epiphone. Been playing for 3 years now and love it. Both played thru my Marshall Amp. Great feeling when your teenage kids ask you to turn your music down!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here