Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murrays STERLING effort a GREAT photo opportunity

We don't produce tennis starlets (or other such sports) regularly because the school days are too short and the classes are too crammed.
It's the lack of sporting ambition in schools today that troubles me. I attended two secondary schools. The first had a teacher who had captained the Welsh rugby team; the second had a headteacher who had captained the England rugby team. Both of them proclaimed the same simple message ... If you work at it, you too can be a sporting international.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Apart from the fact that he was called 'Tim' I've got nothing very much against the bloke other than what he represented, the doomed dreams of middle-England tennis club society. Give Wayne Rooney or Gazza a tennis racquet at the age of three and they'd probably be monstrous mutant multiple Wimbledon winners. But while its run primarily as a social event, English tennis will need to suffer another seventy-odd years of hurt and whist drives. Still, don't matter all that much now I suppose, now that Andy Murray is officially British forevermore.

Hmm, he's always been British to me. I can understand a rivalry if say 2 players from different countries in the Kingdom are playing each other,
but if there is only one Brit against someone from any country outside of the UK, surely they are the only person from the UK can get behind?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I don't quite understand the negativity towards Henman. He was one of the most consistent performers at Wimbledon for almost a decade and provided excellent entertainment. He also reached number four in the world for a brief period.

People that slate Tim Henman forget that before him you'd be lucky to get a British player make it to the second week of the tournament. Henman made the second week 9 years running and made the semis 4 times. He also reached the semi-finals of the US Open and French Open in 2004, the latter being quite an impressive achievement given that his serve-volley style of play was completely unsuited to the red clay of Roland Garros. He then took the 1st set in the semi against Coria, who at that time was arguably the best player in the world on clay before going on to lose in 4 sets.

As someone else pointed out, he was number 4 in the world for a period of time and was in or around the top ten in the world for over 5 years. He also won the prestigious Paris Masters tournament in 2003, one of the major indoor tournaments towards the end of the year, where his run to the final saw him knock out several of the best players around at that time. Not a Grand Slam, but still very much a tournament worth winning. He also won a silver medal at the Atlanta Olympics in the doubles, losing out on the gold to one of the best doubles pairings of all time, Woodbridge and Woodforde.

It seems as though being someone who couldn't get over the line is regarded as more of a crime than not getting anywhere near the line in the first place. Had there been a Centre Court roof in 2001, he'd have made the final at Wimbledon that year, but really what he lacked was a killer first serve. If he had that to go with his natural volleying and net play and his return of serve, he would have had more confidence in himself to close out matches at the business end of tournaments. Even so, getting to be fourth best in the world at anything for any given time is none too shabby, really.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Gerard Butler is Scottish but Bradley Cooper is a Yank. WTF has it got to do with you Bradley ? Do one !

You're aware that Wimbledon has the capacity to accommodate an audience and that people are allowed to be part of that audience and that some of those people may be from abroad and some may be famous? Added to that the fact that he is a person and physics dictate he has to be somewhere.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I thought the slow motion was quite well used but oh my word can we stop seeing David Cameron's cum face please? And dumb and dumber in the stands.. who cares?

Also does Murray have a girlfriend? :jester: We get it, she's hot, now can we watch the TENNIS please.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
He was UTTER TURD !

And this, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with our country. Rather than have the attitude of support and determination for someone clearly trying, we'd rather knock them. People love to knock the media for doing it, but don't see it when they do it themselves.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was UTTER TURD !
Absolutely absurd.

He reached one French Open semi final, one US Open semi final, and FOUR Wimbledon semi finals (and would have made a final if it hadn't rained against Ivanisevic when he was bossing the game).

He was also ranked at a career high fourth in the world. Just so that you understand, for the best part of a year, Tim Henman was officially the fourth best tennis player in the WORLD. Would you describe the 4th best football player* in the world as UTTER TURD? *presumably a Brazilian after Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
And this, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with our country. Rather than have the attitude of support and determination for someone clearly trying, we'd rather knock them. People love to knock the media for doing it, but don't see it when they do it themselves.

The thing is that US has probably achieved such immense success in every aspect of his life that he cannot comprehend or tolerate any form of failure in others.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
& the fact that it is usually "it's the taking part that counts" - I know when I was at school, the team was selected so that everyone had a go, even the kid who couldn't head the ball to save his life, just stood there & closed his eyes !

We don't produce tennis starlets (or other such sports) regularly because the school days are too short and the classes are too crammed.[/QUOTE]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Absolutely absurd.

He reached one French Open semi final, one US Open semi final, and FOUR Wimbledon semi finals (and would have made a final if it hadn't rained against Ivanisevic when he was bossing the game).

He was also ranked at a career high fourth in the world. Just so that you understand, for the best part of a year, Tim Henman was officially the fourth best tennis player in the WORLD. Would you describe the 4th best football player* in the world as UTTER TURD? *presumably a Brazilian after Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo

Fair point. It was an arsey thing to say. Too much Sun I think. If I behave like an idiot I expect to be called on it, as I was.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. No rule only allowing Serbs and Brits at a final involving a) a Serb and b) a Brit. Besides, all those people who applied for tickets from other countries, why didn't they realise that it would be a Brit and a Serb in the final.
2. If I was dripping in money I would also use it to jump the queue for the best seats at the best events and stuff the plebs in the cheap seats, on the hill or stuck at home in front of the box. (Alas I remain in the last category until I am dripping in aforementioned dosh).
3. Odd that this thread was started by someone whose avatar is in recognition of an American director/producer as opposed to a British one? Perhaps if there was a rule relating to only being able to watch your fellow countrymen at sport then the same should apply to the movie world!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here