Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray v Djokovic Official Match Thread

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Question - Why does Tennis need to be played in silence (i.e. the crowd)?

Because playing tennis at that level requires concentration of the highest level hence the request for quiet during play - It is different from many other sports other than snooker and perhaps some others.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I shall never forget this day, well done Andy, you've made a nation proud :bowdown:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Because playing tennis at that level requires concentration of the highest level hence the request for quiet during play - It is different from many other sports other than snooker and perhaps some others.

I find this strange. Tennis players can practice their technique over and over again. Why does it need to be in silence?

Is it a kind of fairness thing? It's not like Andy Murray plays at the 'Andy Murray stadium' every other week. Some successful tennis players probably never play 'big' games in their home country. Does it make it more of a level playing field?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Is it a kind of fairness thing? It's not like Andy Murray plays at the 'Andy Murray stadium' every other week. Some successful tennis players probably never play 'big' games in their home country. Does it make it more of a level playing field?

Most will play in 'big games' in their host country at one time or another if they are from a country that participates in the Davis Cup. The most vociferous of support that Andy Murray gets at Wimbledon would seem tame in comparison to, say, playing a Davis Cup tie away to Argentina.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Enjoyed that. Brilliant Andy, well done.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
With an ageing Federer and injury prone Nadal maybe Murray along with Novak will dominate world Tennis ?

They look like being numbers 1 and 2 for some time to come, for sure, but Nadal will still have his moments and Del Potro has shown on what is one of his less preferred surfaces this tournament that he is coming back towards the form that won him the US Open in 2009. I think they will be the top 4 for the next few years, with the likes of Tsonga and Janowicz in the next group below them.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
They look like being numbers 1 and 2 for some time to come, for sure, but Nadal will still have his moments and Del Potro has shown on what is one of his less preferred surfaces this tournament that he is coming back towards the form that won him the US Open in 2009. I think they will be the top 4 for the next few years, with the likes of Tsonga and Janowicz in the next group below them.

Del Potro is a good call. Tsonga like Ferrier i don't think have it,Polish guy Janowicz awesome serve but needs to add the Goran touch ??

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Del Potro is a good call. Tsonga like Ferrier i don't think have it,Polish guy Janowicz awesome serve but needs to add the Goran touch ??

Ferrer is the wrong side of 30 now and is as high as he will get. I don't think Tsonga is going to break into the top 4, but he should keep up his level to remain ranked in the next 4 and give any of the players above him a game on his day. He too is nearing 30 and so probably will start to decline in a couple of years time. With Janowicz, he needs to develop his all-round game and also his temperament and fitness as he flagged in the last set and a half against Murray. He is 5 years younger than Murray and Djokovic though, so is still very early in his development.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Murray has donated ALL of his £1.6 million winnings today to the Royal Marsden Hospital for use in their cancer research.

Surely even the jingoistic ****wits on here can applaud that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who could blame Andy Murray for 'doing a Wiggins' at this point in his career. He could retire tomorrow and like a king on the commercial proceeds for the rest of his days. Total respect if he keeps on playing tho eh?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Murray has donated ALL of his £1.6 million winnings today to the Royal Marsden Hospital for use in their cancer research.

Surely even the jingoistic ****wits on here can applaud that?

It's the winnings from Queens not Wimbledon, but still a great gesture on his part.

Paul Hayward ‏@_PaulHayward 1h
More clarity: Andy Murray donated his winnings at Queen's. He's a fine man and a great Wimbledon champion and nothing can spoil that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I had any balls regards my betting, I'd have made a killing over Murray's last three matches.

image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here