Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace (merged threads)

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Support the laundry not the person wearing it!

f*** him and f*** palace. He ain't worth it because he's unproven at Championship level, they are taking a big risk with him in paying so much.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does this make Ashley Barnes our number one striker? If only that thread wasn't locked...

:jester:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think we've got the best out of Glenn in his career, He's a quality player at League One level but I don't see him doing too much in the Championship anyway.

Sep 1, 2010
Maybe, just maybe Gus has someone else in mind and does not feel Glenn is as good as the offer Palace are making him. Time will tell, but Poyet really doesn't appear to give a flying f*** imo, which is either a worry or a good thing. I'm not sure which at the moment.

He practically advertised it on Goals on Sunday a few weeks back. If he goes, he goes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we've got the best out of Glenn in his career, He's a quality player at League One level but I don't see him doing too much in the Championship anyway.
You're kidding yourself. He's quality.

Hopefully he'll be injured most of the season with Palace and they'll get relegated with a(nother) player on a ridiculous OTT salary.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Without wishing to sound bitter, I do think clubs should face some sort of embargo for a prolonged period once exiting administration. It is ridiculous that a club can write off millions and then go straight ahead and start spending again. Palace and financial prudence do not go hand in hand, so...

Good luck Glenn. Finally proved your worth over a whole season and helped us into the Championship.

Before anyone reaches for the razor blades and claims this is disastrous, let's see who we have lined up instead. Plus, remember that overextending ourselves to satisfy one player is a recipe for disaster.

A fine post Sir. IF Murray does sign for them I''ll be disappointed especially as he's on record as saying he wouldn't. But we can prosper without him. But a system which allows Palace not to pay the small businesses, the caterers etc, who have lost money and haven't been paid as as result of their administration, and yet now pay £10k a week for player's wages cannot be right.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gus strikes me as a manager very astute in the transfer market, he must have a couple of strikers lined up already given how thin we are up front. The fact he doesn't seem fussed suggests to me he has a few targets lined up for less money who he thinks can replace Glenn (or someone better for slightly more money), I honestly think if Poyet believed Murray was worth the money he wants Bloom would give Poyet the funds to offer him the higher wage. In Gus we trust.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
f*** him, one player doesn't make a team.

Look forward to the 90mins of abuse he gets at Selhurst like Harding got at Elland Road back in 2005.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
At the end of the day despite his lack of experience in the Championship, a striker who's averaged 1 in 2 whilst being a very good team player would easily cost 1 million if he had a 2 years on his contract left.

The fact he's on a free transfer bumps up the wages. I don't think he's worth 10k a week but the majority of strikers we'll try to get will end up at other clubs who do exactly the same.

I've said it before, we were priced out of moves for players like James Harper, Leroy Lita and Robert Koren because other teams offered more money than us. It's very typical of The Championship as you're about to see.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
You've got to believe that Gus knows exactly what he's doing here and there can be little doubt that our position is "won't pay" rather than "can't pay".

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
You're kidding yourself. He's quality.

Hopefully he'll be injured most of the season with Palace and they'll get relegated with a(nother) player on a ridiculous OTT salary.

Yeah I'm not doubting his quality one bit, But I don't think he'll be as good as he did last season.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
f*** him, one player doesn't make a team.

Look forward to the 90mins of abuse he gets at Selhurst like Harding got at Elland Road back in 2005.

The abuse he'll get will make Harding look like an Albion legend, Murray will f*cking get it big style

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
At the end of the day despite his lack of experience in the Championship, a striker who's averaged 1 in 2 whilst being a very good team player would easily cost 1 million if he had a 2 years on his contract left.

The fact he's on a free transfer bumps up the wages. I don't think he's worth 10k a week but the majority of strikers we'll try to get will end up at other clubs who do exactly the same.

I've said it before, we were priced out of moves for players like James Harper, Leroy Lita and Robert Koren because other teams offered more money than us. It's very typical of The Championship as you're about to see.

Is it that we have been out priced or is it that our management team don't value him as much as yours? I have no doubt that if Poyet really wanted him he would be willing to match reasonable offers from other clubs. The fact Southampton, Millwall et al are not willing to pay as much as you would suggest you are paying over the top

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I think what Albion fans don't quite get is how you can price any club out of a move for any player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
pig_1009832c.jpg

judas_figo.jpg

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Without wishing to sound bitter, I do think clubs should face some sort of embargo for a prolonged period once exiting administration. It is ridiculous that a club can write off millions and then go straight ahead and start spending again. Palace and financial prudence do not go hand in hand, so...

Good luck Glenn. Finally proved your worth over a whole season and helped us into the Championship.

Before anyone reaches for the razor blades and claims this is disastrous, let's see who we have lined up instead. Plus, remember that overextending ourselves to satisfy one player is a recipe for disaster.

I put this suggestion forward yesterday that they should be asked to sell all their players and pay back as much as they can.
Then they should be sent down to start again in the Blue Square Premier, so they are on an equal footing with the clubs around as regards players.

Then they need to be monitored for overspending from this point on. Its a win situation for the smaller clubs as their attendances would increase.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just makes me wonder if Murray is giving fingers to whoever decided not to offer him a new contract last summer? Not doubting it was the correct decision at the time (would he have had such a good season if he was sat on a three year deal?) but it looks like it may have backfired now depending who we can get in to replace.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm gutted, my kids have signed pictures of him on their bedroom wall, I've never felt so
let down. Palace f*cking Palace - ffs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here