Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Player of Glenn's quality would cost well above £500,000. Why don't we offer him a £500,000 signing on fee on top of his wages. It's got to be worth keeping him rather than buying a replacement who may not work with our team
I expect his agent is pressing for the replacement costs to be factored into his wage. If the Club agrees to do that, it is opening the floodgates for every player to expect the same treatment. That's the fastest route to unsustainability I can think of. We'd end up with a wage bill like Pompey.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Albion won't pay over £6.5k a week, or thereabouts.

Murray has been sounded out over offers approaching nearer £10k from elsewhere.

I can see why there is deadlock and anyone who says they would not at least consider the alternatives if offered another c50 per cent on your wage offer is telling fibs. Especially as this will probably be the biggest contract of his career.

I think he will stay - hopefully the two parties will find a compromise. I don't think we would have to match an offer to keep him, just budge slightly.

Would make sense as would cost a load to replace him.

Also, for anyone doubting Murray - he has been asking for contract talks since around Christmas, but kept getting told it would be dealt with at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
If he goes I would not expect to get less than £2m for him and think we could sign a very good player for that kind of money....especially if we look on the continent. That said, if he goes and we need to sign 3 new strikers we also have the risk that they may take time to settle.

Ees complicated no?

Um... I expect we'll get a lot less than that for him as he's out of contract and can therefore leave for nowt.

My stats files are at home for up to date stuff.

These are from April (after 40 league games)

strikers1.jpg

strikers2.jpg

Our overall record at that point:
winloss.jpg

The team (including Glenn himself) had scored 73 out of 84 goals with him on the pitch, but bear in mind Glenn has played so frequently, so I'm not sure if it means that much (i.e. More of our goals have come with Marcos Painter on the pitch, more with Bennett, because they've played more minutes than Glenn, does that mean without Painter we aren't as much of a goal scoring threat?)

(I say that only as a disclaimer, I think Glenn has been fantastic this year, and I believe there's better to come from him)

Good work son

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Also, Murray has seen El Abd and Bennett given new deals during the same time period he was being told his would not be discussed. Not as simple as Murray and his agent being greedy.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Thing with the stats is all well and good but this is the championship. Last time we were way off the pace . Yes we are miles better now but it is a whole new level

Luckily Gus knows this

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I expect his agent is pressing for the replacement costs to be factored into his wage. If the Club agrees to do that, it is opening the floodgates for every player to expect the same treatment. That's the fastest route to unsustainability I can think of. We'd end up with a wage bill like Pompey.

Why would that be more unsustainable than Murray leaving and buying in a 'comparable' player for the amount he is factoring in ??

In someways it might be considered an easier way to finance any proposed Murray deal within his wages than the inevitable upfront costs of buying a player.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Also, Murray has seen El Abd and Bennett given new deals during the same time period he was being told his would not be discussed. Not as simple as Murray and his agent being greedy.

Gus reckoned he had something to prove assumably, he's proved it and now holds the whip hand it seems. Big loss and I'm not quite sure how Millwall, Palace and Saints are in a position to offer him more than us as non of them are likely to have a better revenue stream than us from here on..

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Another solution to this, I'm all three parties might have already considered this, would be to offer him additional money based on the number of goals he scores and the number of games he plays.

He will want the security of a good contract though, I think. He said himself that the next contract he signs is the most important one of his career.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gus reckoned he had something to prove assumably, he's proved it and now holds the whip hand it seems. Big loss and I'm not quite sure how Millwall, Palace and Saints are in a position to offer him more than us as non of them are likely to have a better revenue stream than us from here on..

No, but they probably are not setting a £6.5k informal wage cap. Also, Southampton already pay way above what we do for players, Palace have new ownership with fairly ambitious plans and Millwall have an additional season in the Championship to us.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Don't see any problem with telling him the contract issue would be dealt with at the end of the season, he would hardly have accepted an offer based upon us being in League One would he. Bottom line for me is that his agent seems to be asking for wages based upon him reproducing the form he has shown this season (and this season alone) at a higher level next term. If he can get 10k a week elsewhere then all the best to him. If however he is prepared to accept that the club are right and he is a striker with one great season behind him in the 3rd tier and therefore around a million pounds for the next three seasons is a reasonable offer, I am sure we will all be delighted to offer him the chance of continuing the progress he has made as a player under Gus and co.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Albion won't pay over £6.5k a week, or thereabouts.

Murray has been sounded out over offers approaching nearer £10k from elsewhere.

I can see why there is deadlock and anyone who says they would not at least consider the alternatives if offered another c50 per cent on your wage offer is telling fibs. Especially as this will probably be the biggest contract of his career.

I think he will stay - hopefully the two parties will find a compromise. I don't think we would have to match an offer to keep him, just budge slightly.

Would make sense as would cost a load to replace him.

Also, for anyone doubting Murray - he has been asking for contract talks since around Christmas, but kept getting told it would be dealt with at the end of the season.

Why don't you just publish the contract offers that Glenns had - it will save you lots of typing out bits of them ???

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
As an addendum, seriously stop fretting. If you haven't yet learnt that you can trust Tony Bloom to do what's right for the club then you never will.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If our informal wage cap really is £6.5k a week, seems very low for the Championship and hardly making a statement ?

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
As others have said I think we all understand how important Glen has been for us this season, not just up front back at the back as well. The club have offered "substantial pay rise" I would guess his new agent is trying to show him how great he is and as has also been said this is likely to be Glen last good contract before he starts to lose value so it's got to be as good as he can get. Hopefully Glen and his Agent have a target and the club are able to offer this otherwise they will walk away and I think that's how it shold be just because we have a new ground we shouldn't start paying over priced rates otherwise all the hard work of the past 15 years will come to nothing.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This thread may well be worth a bounce this time next year, whatever Murray does.

Personally if he stays very nice, if he doesn't that's fine... players move on, retire, etc. and the next batch come in. Murray is not irreplaceable as many seem to think, he is our current good striker that will move on, whether tomorrow or in a few years time, and someone new will come in and became a crowd favourite. That's football and the nature of the game... players come and players go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports